Dee Thomas Celebration of Life

Fast Eddie

Dee Thomas Celebration of Life

Post by Fast Eddie »

It began as a solemn service with the Fisherman's Prayer lead by Dee's long time partner. (think his name was Dan, but the PA was hard to hear) A banner hung over the memorial table, where some of Dee's most prized possessions and photos were laid out. I believe there was a early flippin stick as well as several trophies. One after another friends, and fishing buddies related stories of their time with Dee. One interesting fact was that before the punchin craze was let out of the bag, Dee and his partner were flippin 2oz Nichols jigs on 100lb test line into the hyacinth.(Was that the first punchin set up? Betcha it was. What an innovator huh. Stories abound about the rivalry of Bobby Barrack and Dee. It was good to see Pat Young, and Don Lee's secretary Nicole, and Dan Mathisen (whose emergency surgery went well and will be starting physical therapy this week) and his crew (Hey Roger :),and Bill Swearingen ). Several members of Dee's church were in attendance as well as neighbors and friends. I spoke to Dee's next door neighbor and inquired about his early morning adventures. She commented to me that most of the time they slept through it, but "THAT TRUCK" was sometimes hard to ignor. :D It was a little disappointing not to see most of the guys who talk about his mentorship, but I get it as I'm sure the family does, that work is work. Make hay while the sunshines so to speak. There were about 50, give or take attendees. Several of the old names popped up in discussions, like Don Lee, Harvey Naslund, Hal Huggins, Larry Newby, Larry Viviano, Chet (sucks getting old forgot Chet's last name), and Ron Crews.
For those of you who couldn't make it, I have a few photos.
Attachments
Dee's Mementos
Dee's Mementos
Pat Young
Pat Young
Dee's Memorial
Dee's Memorial
Rod Brown

Re: Dee Thomas Celebration of Life

Post by Rod Brown »

Thank you Fast Eddie for posting this! I wanted to be there but attended my neighbors funeral here in Sacramento. I drew Dee Thomas at one of my first tournaments as a co angler at clear lake. I was terrible at flippin. He laughed and let me know I was terrible at it. I watched the master and learned. The next year I drew him again. He said, “son you’ve been practicing”! With his unique laugh. Both times he invited me to sit at his table for breakfast with all the top fishermen. That was neat that he did that and I will always have those fun memories of him laughing and telling stories.sincerely, Rod Brown
StogieMan

Post by StogieMan »

I was there, I drove down from Clear Lake where I live now. It was a nice crowd and great to hear the stories about Dee.

I had a few of my own which I did not share but it is safe to say I remember the man and it was important that I attend.

God speed Dee
Mike

Post by Mike »

Had no clue this was going on….. :(

Wish someone would have said something
OG on WB since 1993
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Mike wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:20 pm Had no clue this was going on….. :(

Wish someone would have said something
It was posted back in august and a couple times again over the last couple weeks.