Trolling motor batteries

bassinjoe44

Trolling motor batteries

Post by bassinjoe44 »

In the market for some new batteries.Just trying to get some opinions on what everybody likes.I`ve got a Minn kota 74lb.Any info would be greatly appreciated.Thanks
W.C

Re: Trolling motor batteries

Post by W.C »

The Optimas are the best batteries i have ever had. u won't be dissapointed. they r solid batteries wish mean u don't have to do anything but charge them... just think ! u don't have to take them out to see if they r leaking any acid or u don't have to fill them with water every so many months. "what a hassle that was for me in my boat.
Trust me the Optimas are that good. i won't buy anything else from now on.... just my two cent. take it for what it's worth... and no they don't sponcer me... i wish! 8)
MrSkeeter

Post by MrSkeeter »

There'll be folks supporting batteries like Optimas, Trojans, Delco, etc. Here's what I know or have heard through the grapevine as I did a little search recently ...

Optimas are real nice ... kind of expensive (~$150/ea) ... somewhat lighter than others maybe, sealed batteries so no leakage or water evaporation issue. What I heard was that if you run them down completely ... like I've done at times w/ my wet cells, sometimes they don't recover ... oops $150 out of luck?

Trojans are real nice ... but they've come up in price SIGNIFICANTLY. The end of last year, one could have bought one for less than a hundred dollars. Now, the cheapest I've been able to find was a little over $140 (they list for $185 I think). These are excellent batteries, but they weight a TON!!

Personally, I've been using some Walmart Everlast series 31's that go for $60 or 70/ea. They come w/ a 2-yr replacement warantee from Walmart if the batteries fail to hold charge during that time. After the 2 year period, it get's pro-rated. I usually get about 3-4 years of moderate use from them. I have them for my starting and trolling motor (I have a Minn Kota ProMax80) batteries. I can usually get a full 2 day of use on them on one charge. But if I have the livewells and others running, it'll be somewhat less.
Chris
" ... An adventure is a disaster that fails to kill you. A disaster is an adventure that does ..."
[url=http://www.bassclassics.org]Bass Classics of Santa Clara[/url]
[url=http://5littleones.googlepages.com/index.htm]My Home Page[/url]
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I had to go to Optimas when I went to 24v, to make three batteries fit in my compartment. The batteries are great. They stay the same from morning to night, without running down much like my old Interstate.
Optima also has a great warranty. I had a problem with one of mine after a year+, and they sent me two new ones, no charge.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Kelly Ripa

Optima...

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I don't like batteries that are iffy and now I don't even think about them as they just flat out deliver the goods when you want it.
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
reellittlephish

Post by reellittlephish »

All good comments. I think you get what you pay for in batteries. I got a pair of SCS225 Trojans for the 24v Trolling Motor and take it out on Mead and Mojave - always reliable for 2 years and I can fish off them for 2 days before recharge without drawing down below 70%. Cranking Battery is Optima Blue top group 24 and I like the more "linear" discharge rate of that. with all the elcetronics on board, if I had to do it over and $$ was no object I'd get a group 31 Optima for a cranking battery, and stay with the Trojans for the TM.
Fish Chris

Well, if your not concerned about $$$.....

Post by Fish Chris »

buy some of the ones these guys mentioned.

Otherwise, buy a set of Wal-Mart Everstart group 29 deep cycles, for $65 each. And here's the kicker..... Make sure you keep your reciepts, and bring them back for full "FREE" replacement every 17 months, for the rest of your life !

I don't know about you, but I can pretty much kill a group 29 deep cycle in 17 months anyway, "even if they did actually test them"...... but if they did actually test one, and they thought it was "not quite weak enough yet", there are plenty of ways to finish that job (but I never had to do that). I have never been exactly sure what constitutes a bad battery, but I feel like when it gets down to holding a charge for only half of what it did as new, its time for another "free" replacement.

Fish

PS, Talk about getting what you paid for..... Well lets see, I originally paid for 2 batteries at $65 each. That's $130. I think each has been replaced about 6 times. That's 14 batteries for less than $10 each. "Always the lowest price" is sure right !

Hey, now that I think about it, I think I have one that needs to be replaced again soon....
Richard - Sonora

I'M WITH MR> SKEETER ON THIS ONE.....GO W/ WAL-MART

Post by Richard - Sonora »

My experinence is similar to Chris'. I got some good advice last summer when the discussion of batteries came up. Go with the biggest Wal-Mart Marine that you can fit in the space(s). They don't cost a lot, they perform well and can be replaced under warranty virtually anywhere we fish. Think about it. R-S
Kelly Ripa

Maybe Walmart...

Post by Kelly Ripa »

But stay away from Sears! I used to rent my batteries just like everyone else however the last time I brought in my batteries they would not exchange one because when they hooked both batteries up and tested them for 45 minutes while I waited they simply handed me to slips of paper. One said one battery could be replaced and the other said that it had tested within their parameters and they would not allow me to return it. Well after I was done telling Mr. Manager what I thought of that I left both batteries sitting there and went and bought the optimas. No more yelling as they have a warranty and of course I have a reciept. The guy at Sears who tested the batteries said the same as you all just buy 'em and return them but if the boss man ain't gonna let ya return them well...Let's just say I don't buy much where America shops anymore... :wink:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
fishwithron2

Re: Well, if your not concerned about $$$.....

Post by fishwithron2 »

Walmart use to sell Stow away. Now you can only buy it at Sam's club. I buy their size 31 and it sells for around $65. keep your receipt as they'er warranty for 18 month, it use to be 2 year.
Sam's Club belongs to Walmart and is their version of Price club.
ash
SpeedBump

You guys read my mind

Post by ash »

I am going through the same thing right now, time for new TM batteries.

So when I buy the Walmart Everlast series 31's how long do they need to stay on the charger until I get a full charge? I have a T on Sunday and will buy them and hook them up tonight.

Thanks and Great thread!
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Sacto John

Re: You guys read my mind

Post by Sacto John »

You will be fine if you get them today and put them on the charger. They will be ready to go Sunday. I have the everstarts from Wally World and have not had a problem yet. I will be turning them in soon for new bateries.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Thanks, $210.00 later two batteries, oil, portable air pump OUCHIE!

Hopefully, I will no longer experiance a 50% loss of power halfway through the day.

\see you on the water Sunday
Links to Check Out -
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

The Walmart around Sac don't carry the Ever Start 31's. Had to buy my Stow away at sam's club.
Fish Chris

? for you guys with the group 31's

Post by Fish Chris »

Do you happen to know the weight on them ? Believe me, if there was such a thing as a group 92, that I could still pick up and set in my boat, I'd use it.... However, my group 29's are (If I remember correctly) 63 lbs as it is ! 31's sound tempting, but not if they are over 70 lbs. I'm getting too old for all that heavy lifting. A 15 to 20 plus Largemouth is all the lifting I want to do :-)

Peace,
Fish
FISHIN

OPTIMA AND DO NOT LOOK BACK !!!!

Post by FISHIN »

Optima are great
fishwithron2

Re: ? for you guys with the group 31's

Post by fishwithron2 »

Next time I have my group 31's stow away out i'll weight them. I'm only 5'4 and weight 135 and have no trouble lifting them up Not much more than my old 29's which is what I had before and i'm 60+.
scottsweet

Re: Trolling motor batteries - The real best ones...

Post by scottsweet »

I personally am using the Lightening Series batteries from Dual Pro. I have the 31 series with 1500CCA...the highest in the industry. They are heavier and more $$, but...they last a LONG time. Especially since the Verados came out, they suck up more juice.

They can be ordered if they are not stocked locally. Just call Dualpro or visit them at www.dualpro.com.

I was originally turned on to them by Gary Klein.

Scott
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
kb

Re: Trolling motor batteries - The real best ones...

Post by kb »

I also use Dual Pro's and have had no problem with them at all. They are the best trolling motor battery on the market and we all know what a great company charging systems is

kb
ash
SpeedBump

Wow what a difference Fresh Batteries can make

Post by ash »

I sure am glad this thread put the heat in my seat on Thursday. I bought two new Everstart Max 29's and put them on the Charger.

Folsom on Sunday put the batteries to the test and they passed, I would have been done by 11:00 if I was on my old batteries!

Thank you for a every educational thread, this forum is great!
Links to Check Out -