use a pistol grip?

Big Rick KFOG

use a pistol grip?

Post by Big Rick KFOG »

I'm going to build a couple of rods soon and am wondering if anybody uses a pistol grip? If so what are the advantages and what do you throw with them?
Big Rick Stuart
KFOG FM 4-10 pm
SF CA

"I'm going out to fish," Simon Peter told them, and they said, "We'll go with you." So they went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught nothing.

"OK guys, Who brought the banana?"
Ken C.

Re: use a pistol grip?

Post by Ken C. »

Dude, first off - I heard you talking about Herb Albert's "Whipped Cream & Other Delights" album cover tonight.... Brings back Mamories. Err I mean memories :lol: :lol: :lol: Gotta be worth something on Ebay, eh?

Pistol grips - I had one once alon-n-n-n-g time ago. They are mostly only found on rods shorter than 6 ft. I thinkk it might be good for flinging something real tight under a dock, overhanging tree, etc. But I think you loose some leverage on you hook-sets without the "long grips", esp. when setting the hook on a fish that's way out there! But if it works for you, Go For It!
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

Many of my rods have the longer handles, the few pistol grips I have are used for topwaters. Its a lot easier to walk the dog without a big grip. The shorter pistol grip rods (five and a half feet) are also known for pinpoint accurate casts.

.02 A.G.

Most people are fishing with longer rods, specialized rods for the given technique, and pistol grips aren't as popular.

.02 A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
Big Rick KFOG

Post by Big Rick KFOG »

Ken C and Andy

yes indeed what an album cover...

That is what I thought they would be used for. I probably won't build one with that handle now but was looking at handle options and thought I'd ask. Thanks for the info.

Fish On
Big Rick Stuart
KFOG FM 4-10 pm
SF CA

"I'm going out to fish," Simon Peter told them, and they said, "We'll go with you." So they went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught nothing.

"OK guys, Who brought the banana?"
basstamer

Post by basstamer »

I personally used to use pistol grips ALL the time but nobody makes them anymore except for the above mentioned ultra lights. They make unbelievable spinnerbait and buzzbait rods! Also as mentioned above the accuracy with them is awesome.
Scott
basstamer

Post by basstamer »

I personally used to use pistol grips ALL the time but nobody makes them anymore except for the above mentioned ultra lights. They make unbelievable spinnerbait and buzzbait rods! Also as mentioned above the accuracy with them is awesome.
Scott
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

I miss my 5'6" heavy action Loomis with the pistol grip. It was an great spinner bait rod out on the Delta. It was great for making acuurate little roll cast to tullie patches and in between the docks in Disco.
Blue_R70

Post by Blue_R70 »

Ken C. wrote:Dude, first off - I heard you talking about Herb Albert's "Whipped Cream & Other Delights" album cover tonight.... Brings back Mamories. Err I mean memories :lol: :lol: :lol: Gotta be worth something on Ebay, eh?
I think one the Laws of Thermodynamics states that there must be at least four copies of that album in every Salvation Army/Goodwill/St. Vincent de Paul thrift store in every city in the USA.

Rick--pistol grips are still offered on some of the shorter "specialty" rods such as Loomis' spinnerbait and topwater models (SBR661 and SMR702)...
upriverLMB

Post by upriverLMB »

I had a few of them, one with a left-handed Shimano Bantam that kicked butt. Don’t have anymore of either but Hank Parker could have any rod he wants and couple weeks ago I saw him using a pistol grip while spinner bait fishing. Maybe there are still advantages to using them or maybe he just uses them because that’s what made him rich.
LMB
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

For me, pistol grips give me a larger handle to hold onto, so I have more control of the rod. A good compromise is the "power hump" type grip that Bass Pro offers on their rods. I throw blades on a 7' med. action or med. heavy BPS rod all day, and don't have any fatigue because it fits my hand so well.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I have two...one is the old style shimano extra heavy that I spoon with the other is an extra heavy Loomis that I spoon and throw ALL my spook type lures as I cannot make the bait swim as well because I am a wimp....I mean because that's the way it is..I am?
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
kelleybob

Post by kelleybob »

I've been using a rod I built 20 years ago with a Fuji pistol grip for spinnerbait fishing...I love it for that purpose. Hard to find today...probably could find some old ones on E-bay! They're easier to roll your wrist for controlled short range flips..I should start looking for another one in case I bust this one....
Over the hill? what hill? I don't see no stinkin' hill!
MPOLLARD

Post by MPOLLARD »

I have to 6' rods with pistol grips. I love them for Ripping pointers and Stacyee's and the other for Vixen's and spook's. Thay seem not to wear me out when I use them all day. Were if I used a longer handle rod for ripping my wrist get tired quick.Thay are also great for side arm cast and skipping under docks.Great for spinner baits and buzzbaits.I even Crank with them speed traps. I love them....

MPollard
www.teampollardfishing.com
www.savephace.com
Jerry Tilton

Post by Jerry Tilton »

just my $.02, With todays quality of fish it takes to do good in tournaments, one word, leverage, leverage, leverage. The 5 1/2 foot and 6 foot rods don't have it. Also I guess with all of the years of using one of those rods the carpul tunnel has take over these old wrists. I am also wondering where is Kent Brown on this. HE should know better. I also know the Gary Dobins dos not even know what a pistol grip is.
it only takes one more cast
NaCl

ditto the carpal tunnel!

Post by NaCl »

I used a pistol grip until 1992. But I got such a bad case of carpal tunnel in my right wrist that I had to learn to fish left handed...still do to this day! Actually, now a switch from right to left several times each day to avoid tendonitis. But, it all started with that damn pistol grip!

.....NaCl
Shawn

Post by Shawn »

This is my FAVORITE ROD ! 5 1/2 ft ,cork handle,8-20 lb line.I must admit, my right palm has come home bruised.I'm not sure if its from the casting or setting the hook and then fighting them toads but its awsome.Fenwick has one and I wish there was more to choose from but thats the only one .My brother picked one up at a garage sale for $7 and gave it to me.I found the the rod was splintering and sent it to the company.They sent a new one and what a jewel it has become.The plastic grips or hard rubber ect.. just don't feeel right,gotta be corkpistol grip. my .o1

Shawn
spookmaster

Post by spookmaster »

Well I have a 6'0 Berkley Series 1 that is awesome for walkin the spook and throwin a 3/4 oz spinner bait I also have a 5.5. I dont use em all day so my wrists are fine.
FISHIN

JUST SAY NO TO PISTOL GRIPS !!!!!!!!!

Post by FISHIN »

NO power to set the hook.
mjr

Re: ditto the carpal tunnel!

Post by mjr »

NaCl wrote:I used a pistol grip until 1992. But I got such a bad case of carpal tunnel in my right wrist that I had to learn to fish left handed...still do to this day! Actually, now a switch from right to left several times each day to avoid tendonitis. But, it all started with that damn pistol grip!

.....NaCl
i dont know if anyone has tried one of these but they work wonders for tendonitis and carpal tunnel and help build wrist strength for you pistol grip happy folk.
http://www.dynaflex-intl.com/gyro_info.htm
Beach Steve Biechman

Post by Beach Steve Biechman »

If you need a pistol grip I can build them. Would only use them on shorter rods because short grips on a long rod makes it out of balance.

Beach
Beach Steve Biechman