New boat, where to start?

Porkrind

New boat, where to start?

Post by Porkrind »

Hey guys,

We picked up our first boat today and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where would be the safest place to practice backing in and out of a ramp, and just practicing in general (we have never had one before or have driven a boat). I am close to Folsom, but I am affraid it would be too dangerous with all of the water lice. Any suggestions?
Bill kizer

Re: New boat, where to start?

Post by Bill kizer »

I suggest going to a new housing development and just try backing around. Another option is going to a huge parking lot after hours.
Just back up till you get comforable doing it.
School is out so school parking lots are also empty.
When you feel you're ready to go for it, go to a multi lane ramp like Oroville or Discovery Park.
That's how i taught my wife, now I never have to back, I just sit in the boat and look cool. 8)
Bill
Just call me Tule bender
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

To learn the easyist way of backing a boat up, do what all good truckers do. Put your hand on the BOTTOM of the steering wheel. Which every way you want the TRAILER to go, move your hand in that direction.
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

Best thing is to not practice at the ramp! Do the parking lot thing, try backing down some empty loading dock ramps and such. When you can make the trailer go where you want it to go, then go try it at the ramp. :wink:
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
troutnut

Post by troutnut »

Most school parking lots have chains across them when school is closed. Try a church parking lot( there is a huge church lot off Stanford Ranch Road in Rocklin) or big box store parking lot.

I bet the guys where you bought your boat would give a quickie 5 -10 minute backing lesson. (If they don't I would BLAST their poor service all over the internet)

Just remember to GO SLOW. More people get into trouble trying to rush than for any other reason. Place both hands at the bottom of the wheel and move them in the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go. With this method, it doesn’t matter if you’re looking out the back window or in the mirrors. Most single-axle trailers turn and back easier than double- or triple-axle rigs. The single-axle trailers do have a tendency to turn very sharply once they start, so back them even more carefully.

Before you launch, spend a few minutes in the parking lot removing the tie-down straps,transom saver, installing the running lights if needed, putting in the PLUG ( YOUR RESPONSIBLITY ONLY, and make sure it is in the right hole) unpluging the trailer lights, putting boat ignition keys in the switch, put life jackets on driver seat, hook up the kill switch to vest and kill switch, make SURE the motor is TILTED UP ( I have seen more people drag the bottom of their skeg off launching or retrieving their boats). Put a couple of tie off ropes on the dock side of your boat and a couple of bumpers on the deck too. Leave the front clip on until the boat is in the water.

More boaters would be pissed off at you for blocking the ramp doing all this stuff than backing up and straightening out a few times.

Above all, don’t be reluctant to pull forward and start over if a backing operation is going badly. Trying to turn a bad start into a good finish often results in dents or other disasters.

You said this is your first boat--- you need to develop a launching routine, I start at the bow lights and work my way around the boat clockwise preparing for launch.

PS> on the first launch, take a boater friend with you, and have your wife (if she's coming on the first trip) meet you there about 1/2 hour later. You don't need someone who knows how to push your buttons heckling you while you launch.
Porkrind

Thanks for the info guys

Post by Porkrind »

Thank you all for the info. I will practice on a lot. I think the best thing as far as practice on the water, is probably on the Delta (again to avoid the heavy traffic on Folsom)?
crawdaddy

Good idea to practice away from the ramp.

Post by crawdaddy »

Also for your fist few trips out make a check list start to finish.
1. connect coupling to hitch
2. secure coupling (place lock on trailer-See Jonny C's post)
3. attatch safety chains and emergency fail clip.
4. attatch electrical.
5. check lights for function
6. check tires for proper inflation
7. disconnect extension cord (if applicable)
8. check fuel and oil levels
9. secure any items that could blow out (scents are notorious for this)
10. Check that engine will turn over and that your batteries are charged.
11. insure engine bracket is in place
12. Make sure all electrical items are turned off

In prep area:
1. If applicable remove cover
2. detatch tie-downs
3. be sure plug is in
4. remove engine bracket
5. turn power on
6. get you gear organized
7. add drinks/food
8. visualize ramp area and water conditions
9. check parking area for low-lifes report if necessary
10. pay ramp fee if applicable
11. CHECK THAT THE PLUG IS IN!!!!!

Launch and have a memorable day on the water.
Once you have a list use it for a while and check off items as you do them for the first few trips, then it will become second nature. Good luck. Oh one more thing.

BE SURE THE PLUG IS IN!!!!!
I would rather jog home from my own Vasectomy than spend Saturday at the mall.
Colebass

The ramps

Post by Colebass »

are big at Folsom, go in an evening after like 6:00 PM. I live in Roseville and would be happy to help you learn. Or send me an e-mail and I could share some tips.

What kind of boat did you buy?
Dave Cole
Colebass

Don't kid yourself!

Post by Colebass »

The Delta can be a zoo! And most of the ramps are not as good as Folsom. And with gas being what it is, stay close to home if you can.
Dave Cole
Smile_n_Jax

Re: Don't kid yourself!

Post by Smile_n_Jax »

A big thanx to ya'll from me too. I'm also a new boater and need to learn. Crawdaddy, those check lists will be cut and pasted, enlarged, put in plastic on a clipboard and used religously til I've got it all memorized.
Jax Keilman
"I may be crazy, but it's kept me from going insane" - Waylon Jennings
'89 Stratos 269V, 90HP Yamaha. Small, but I love it.
Long Nguyen

Post by Long Nguyen »

I think it's great that you're reaching out for tips before getting to the ramp. It's easy to forget that we all started from somewhere and all these tips will help.

On a personal note, once you forget to insert the plug in your boat once, you'll NEVER EVER FORGET in the future. I think we all learn that lesson the hard way. LOL

I was taught that there were two styles that you can learn to back down a boat. I was told to go with one and learn it. The first is the use of mirrors. The other is looking over your shoulder. Looking over my shoulder was the easiest to learn but it requires a vehicle like a truck or SUV. Once I learned how to do that well, I incorporated my mirrors. The toughest part of using mirrors is gauging distance. It helps to have someone behind the boat direcing distance for you.

1. When you do make it to the ramp, launch during the day light for your first couple trips. It's a little tougher to back down in the dark early hours of morning. On that note, one of the biggest pet peeves bass anglers (tournament guys especially) is launching early in the morning with head lights on. When the truck and trailer are down the ramp, the light beams blinds the other trucks that are trying to back down the ramp. Turn those headlights off. Many of the domestic trucks have lights that turn on automatically, so you'll have to read the manual to learn how to turn them off.

2. If possible, always start backing up with the truck and boat in a staight line down the ramp. It'll be much easier to control the trailer when you start straight versus at at angle. It's a good idea to avoid launching at Russo's until you get used to it. The facilities at Russo's are great but the ramp may be a little challenging for you because you have to come down at an angle.

3. It's easy to over steer and over correct, especially with single axle trailers. This was the most common mistake my father made when I was teaching him. Turn the wheel in small increments and let the truck back the boat up. If you turn too sharply, the trailer "gets away" from you and you'll have to straighten up and try again. Get to that empty parking lot and get comfortable towing the boat. When you back up, keep your foot on the brakes and let the vehicle do the backing up for you. GO SLOWLY.

4. Don't forget to make those wide turn when you're towing the boat around. Be especially careful at gas stations when you fill up. Start scoping out those gas stations that are wide and open allowing for easy boat trailering. Avoid getting gas during peak times.

Give Dave Cole a call and take him up on his offer of helping out. Dave is a great guy and willing to help. Welcome to the boating world. Have fun.

Long
survivor

Post by survivor »

:D Also, I didn't see anyone suggest. Try backing up in neutral and let the boat pull you back. That way if you accidently hit the gas you won't end up in the drink. Plus I found you have more control as you're backing down. Just remember, slow, slower, slowest. After a few times it'll be a piece of cake. Just my two cents.
Paul aka survivor :lol: :lol: :lol:
troutnut

I thought of a couple more things

Post by troutnut »

when backing down the ramp, watch your mirrors, and when the tires hit the water, slowly continue to back up JUST until the boat floats off the trailer. SET THE PARKING BRAKE! then put it in park. Launch the boat. Fish and have fun.

LOOK at how deep the wheels are under water. ( My boat launches when the water is just below the side marker lights.) USE THIS DEPTH as a reference for retrieving your boat. You want the trailer to be a couple of inches ( I mean 2"-3") shallower and then slowly drive the boat onto the trailer. Most newbies put the trailer in too deep when they retreive the boat, then the next time they do it too shallow and can't get the boat over the bunks. ( that when it is funny and time to get out the score cards) :lol:
rickd

Take a boater safety course!

Post by rickd »

http://www.boat-ed.com/ca/index.htm

You don't know what you don't know!
rickd
Ken C.

Re: I thought of a couple more things

Post by Ken C. »

E-R-R-R, what about PARKING your tow vehicle back in the lot before heading out??? :lol: :lol:
troutnut wrote:when backing down the ramp, watch your mirrors, and when the tires hit the water, slowly continue to back up JUST until the boat floats off the trailer. SET THE PARKING BRAKE! then put it in park. Launch the boat. Fish and have fun.
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]