What Would You Have Done????

Jason C.

What Would You Have Done????

Post by Jason C. »

Me and my dad went fishing today. We a a slow-good day. I tihnk between the two of us we had 5keepers probably for about 10lbs. But I had one on that woulda bumped it up to 17 or 18lbs!! Probably would have been my personal best! But he snaped off.

Okay so here is the senerio! Im dropshotting I get bit and she turns and heads for deeper water. Which is what you like to see happen! lol Then she takes a hard left and is starting to come up and is about to jump. I prevent her from jumping(which I now regret!) then she does a 180* turn and heads back to deep water. Then she does another 180* turn to go AGAINST the current and she starts to pull ALOT of drag. I tell my dad to get on the TM we are gonna chase her down! As soon as we start to move forward the line breaks and I was heart broken! And Im STILL beating my self up about it!

So what would you have done in that senario??? Let me know incase that happens to me again PLEASE!!
Winning Isn't Everything...But Wanting To IS!
Tight Lines, Jason C.
jasonconser@yahoo.com 925-727-4077
[color=orange] www.dobynsrods.com [/color]
[color=blue] www.inland-marine.com [/color]
gt5bass

Re: What Would You Have Done????

Post by gt5bass »

Jason,

That is why it is called fishin' and not catchin'...yer bigun will come soon enough...I have seen you fish :)

Could have been any of numerous reasons...nick in the line...just bad line...bad eye on yer rod...bad kharma...incorrect alignment of the stars...you git the picture...we all hate to break off a bigun...but these things happen...you know where she lives :) so you are already ahead of the game...don't beat up on yerself...go out an git 'er agin in a couple o'days.
[i][color=green]It is what it is[/color] :|[/i]
sTony

Post by sTony »

Gary's right Jason. Sometimes it just not in the cards to get the big girls into the boat. They don't get to that size by not figuring out all the tricks in the book to get off of a hook amigo. From the sounds of it you had one heckuva ride with that fish and as the hubspinna guy said, you know where she lives.

sTony
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Tell me bout yer dropshot rig young man! Sounds like ya got whooped by a fish with more experience than you. They git big like that by knowing how to escape. We land em by having the proper equiptment to put all the advantage to our side, so that we are in control. It really does sound by your description, that your fish was in control, not you.

There could be many reason's why yer line broke, with the biggest factor I believe to possibly be too light of line. I haven't caught too many fish over 5 pounds on a dropshot out there on the river , but with my 16# Sugoi Fluoro line and 7' Custom baitcaster dropshot rod I ain't never broke one off either. First time I tried 10# test on the River I got my heart broken on a big fish, I fixed that situtaion and began Bubba dropshotting out there.

Landing big fish is kinda tricky, but once ya git the hang of it, its purty easy really. The key thing to remember is, ya only gotta hang on fer less than one minute. You have to be in control of the battle fer that whole minute or less. And that means first to not git too excited and recognize ya got a big fish on and must remain focused and calm. Then ya must keep a tight line at all times!(Most important factor) Don't stand there and watch her as she pulls aways from you, run to the front, back or around the boat with her, but keep that tight line. That big fish will tire very soon. I fish a purty tight drag, and it's amazing how these big girls can still take out line. I think most guys have their drags set too loose. 4# test chasing spots in 60 feet of water, okay, back off yer drag. But if'n yer on that river, cinch it down my friend. This way within about 35 seconds you should be able to control and drag her around instead of her dragging you around.

Big bass are purty stupid, ya just ned to be prepared to react on every bite for that big one and be assured that you are in control. Once ya loose control, as you experienced, the bass will win the game that day. And that's okay, we gotta let em win ever now and then.
Last edited by Cooch on Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

One other aspect of this episode was that we had been fishing this point for about 1/2 hour during slack tide. As soon as the tide started moving we started getting bit ( :idea: Ding! :idea: ). Within 15 minutes the current was rippin through to the point that you had to have the TM just about on High Bypass to keep from getting pushed back. I mean there were standing rollers out in the middle! Jason was at the front, me in the back. One of the biggest issues I think was that as soon as he took his foot off the TM, we were moving opposite of where the fish was heading! The fish snapped off just as I was able to get my foot on the pedal.

I was thinking in this case maybe it might've been better for him to loosen his drag a bit until we could get controll of the boat again and once we were moving the same direction, tighten it back up. His drag was cranked down purty hard and that line was still peeling off. The rod was bent all the way down to the grip! Not sure what line is on that rig, but I would think it had at least 12 or higher.

Maybe I should have just fired up the big motor instead of scrambling all the way up to the front?
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
gt5bass

Post by gt5bass »

Sounds like Jason needs to learn how ta fight dem big gurls wit his foot on the TM( but then agin, he's jus a youngin' 8) ...Got a little xcited did he :?:

But if'n ya dern't git xcited when da big gurls bite, you shood prolly be bowling :shock:
[i][color=green]It is what it is[/color] :|[/i]
Ron C

Big fish have a mind of their own...

Post by Ron C »

...While we all have a game plan on what we will do when we hook a big fish (or we at least should have), sometimes getting them in the boat is more so up to them than it is to us.

When you hook a big bass, there are certain things that you need to do, and it sounds to me like you did most them. It starts with having your drag set properly or loosening it the right amount at the right time during the fight. An improperly set drag is (usually) the number one reason for breaking off or losing big fish. However, even if your drag is set properly, if your line is frayed or has a nick or other weak spot in it, your 14 pound line becomes 10, your 12 pound line becomes 8, and so on. This is the reason why you should check your line frequently for nicks or frays and re-tie immediately if you find one.

You should also make it a habit to re-tie every twenty minutes or so, even if you do not detect a weak spot in your line – especially if you are fishing in a tournament. The reason for this is because your knot is constantly moving back and forth working against your line, which can fracture your line. This is the exact same thing as having a nick in your line. (Have you ever noticed that when you break a fish off, it is usually at your knot and not up your line a ways?).

You mentioned that you regret trying to prevent the fish from jumping. Man, I’m here to tell you that no one can prevent a big fish from jumping if it wants to jump. At best, we might be able to minimize the jump, but if they want to jump (and they usually do), there is very little that we can do to prevent it. The best that we can do is to try to eliminate as much slack as possible in our line when the fish is about to jump. To do this, simply drop your rod tip near the water (but not in it) and pivot 90 degrees at your waist. This will instantly load your rod before the fish breaks water. I usually dip my rod tip into the water ONLY when the fish is out of the water. I do this to keep as much of my line in the water as possible. Doing so puts additional drag (from the water) on your line and reduces the amount of slack line out of the water. However, as soon as the fish is back into the water, I immediately bring my rod back up and get back into a good fighting position. Obviously, the best fighting position is to have your rod perpendicular (90 degrees) to the fish. Remember, it is the rod that tires the fish, not us.

Breaking off big fish happens to all of us. It’s just part of the game. I recall my buddy Cooch once breaking off a 12-pound plus fish during a tournament on a topwater bait (which shall remain nameless) on braided line. That brute went wherever it wanted to. Cooch was in complete control (or so he thought) until the fish decided to make a sharp turn around a dock piling and, Pow!, it broke off, taking Cooch’s prized topwater bait with it. Just last month I broke off a big bass during a night tournament that possibly would have won the tournament for me and my partner. I was using 12 pound fluorocarbon. While I did not notice any nicks or frays in my line, I could actually feel the fish sawing through my line as it was pulling drag from my reel. Ya, I might have landed that fish if my drag was a bit looser, but who knows. As I said, it’s just part of the game.

Bottom line – It happens to all of us and the only way to get over it is to get right back out there and hook another one – and you will.
Tony M

Post by Tony M »

You never forget about the big one's that take you to school. You got some great tips from two of the best, Cooch and my good friend Ron C. With good advice and the amount of time that you spend on the water it won't be long before you land most of the big-uns. Keep-up your hard work and I'll see you in the winners circle.
Tony M
Paul W

Post by Paul W »

Just tell yourself it was a Catfish and youll feel better instantly....lol!!! Sounds like you did a good job keeping the fish from jumping and whotnot, I think it was just one of those things that was unpreventable. Possibly the fish was skin hooked and it just pulled out. I know I lose alot of big Snook every year and always think "what could I have done?" but in my mind I know I have alot of practice fighting fish on light tackle and sometimes these things are just unpreventable!!!

Paul W
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

At the moment? Or from now on?

The thought behind the different setups, is to help the angler eliminate error. Take a look at the setup that lost a big fish. Was the line in good condition, the right test for the task, or could there be a damaged eye somewhere on that rod? I would give your dropshot rig a good looking over, and decide if you need to bump it up a notch in some way. It might be perfect in every way, and the fish just got lucky that time. Only way to find out is stick another on the same setup.

At the moment, when the fish is on don't let doubt sink in. I have seen more fellas lose a bigger fish AFTER they saw it. They freak and start thinking negative things.

"Its gonna jump! Its gonna come off! I am going to lose this fish! etc." Heck, they start saying these things out loud, never mind just thinking them. This kind of thought doesn't help matters.

The thing to think is something like,

"I AM GOING TO CATCH THIS FISH."

"I have done this a thousand times." (Landed the fish.)

You might have to come up with a little mantra, that you say.

"This fish is mine."

Catching better sized fish will build confidence in landing them, and confidence in your setups because you have tested them thoroughly catching those fish.

On the upside of a lost fish that bit, think of it this way.

"I did not land that one, but I am generating the RIGHT bites!! I can get bit again with this stuff! That's way more than what the other guys are doing!!"

So even a lost fish can become a positive thing, and thats what it needs to be to keep you up and in the fishing.

.02 A.G.

p.s. If a fish is gonna jump, I just keep reeling while its in the air works for me. While fighting a fish, its not the time to be thinking technical things about the proper way to fight it, listening to partner's instruction, just catch it and fight the fish how it seems natural. You know how to catch fish. :D

A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
Jason C.

Post by Jason C. »

Hey everyone!,
Thanks for the great info!! Please keep it coming! Andy G. I was pretty confident I was going to catch that fish. I had the drag set pretty tight! Only 3 thumb pushes from it being all the way on! And this thing was pulling drag NO PROBLEM!! It could have been a stiriper, but I am also thinking it was a bass. Anyways thanks for all the great info!

OH! and by the way I think it was just because it was an OLD OLD KNOT!! I hadnt retied sence the Rally up in Clear Lake. Stupid mistake! Next time Im going to retie before Im on the water!
Winning Isn't Everything...But Wanting To IS!
Tight Lines, Jason C.
jasonconser@yahoo.com 925-727-4077
[color=orange] www.dobynsrods.com [/color]
[color=blue] www.inland-marine.com [/color]
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

Andy Giannini wrote:
You might have to come up with a little mantra, that you say.
:lol: "Come On Git In Da Boat - Fish. Come On Git In Da Boat - Fish, Fish!" :lol:
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

Looks to me like you are a skilled angler, the pros speak of controlled variables and if you really did not retye after clear lake well.. that variable was out of control , in the current as discribed I trulywould have fired up the out board kicked the boat forward and lessened the pressure on the rod and line-fish .

Ya caint lose um till you hook um dont doubt yourself yer doin somethin rite the next one is commin over the rail...stick em...

Rayo Brekenridge
the best way to catch a big one is don't lose um sharp hooks set drag retie!
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

Just a couple of thoughts Jason..If you are using a baitcaster, keep the drag kind of loose. Use your thumb on the spool when setting the hook. I have have drop shotted some toads at Pedro on six pound line and I just wear them out. May be more difficult in the river with all the structure....When drop shottin a spinning reel you need to learn how to back reel....Last week my boy wrapped some fours around pillings at clear lake and landed them all..He did about everything wrong. The only thing that saved him was the Gama line..This stuff is ultra strong!!!
http://www.dobynsrods.com
Jerkbait0071

Post by Jerkbait0071 »

Here is my input on this deal,

A lot of folks say "it's just not your day" well I'm not to hip on that saying. Everyday is your day you have to make it your day, that’s what separates the men from the boys. More often times then not I would say 95 percent of the time when you lose a fish it is operator error. Where you learn is to recognize your mistake and capitalize. I have made mistakes as well as everyone in the fishing industry. I study my mistakes and replay my mistakes over and over again until I understand where I went wrong. Until you admit your mistake and want to fix it, you will continue to lose big fish. I hear a lot of guys on this post talking about the infamous DD fish and I will tell you the DD fish are not easy to come by. You have to put a lot of time in on the water to understand the big fish. Jason my suggestion to you my man is to put your time in on the water and always have confidence in what you’re doing that’s the #1 key.
[/u]
www.xtremeglove.com
www.bpboatcenter.com