Dropshotting

ownfl4g

Dropshotting

Post by ownfl4g »

Do any of you dropshot using a baitcasting reel? If so what size weight are you using? I always seem to attract backlashes while dropshotting with a baitcaster.
Jerkbait0071

Re: Dropshotting

Post by Jerkbait0071 »

Yeah drop shot with a bait caster is becoming very popular. I fish the Futureprotour.net series and I am seeing a lot of folks do this. I thought I was the only one to do this but apparently not. I will give you a bit of advice on how I do this successfully. When I drop shot with a bait caster I never cast it, I flip it into the areas just like you would flip a jig, brush hog etc. The only way to perfect this method is practice. Now this brings me to my next point. Ask yourself do you want to get good at drop shot with a bait caster? Ok here is what you do. "I assume you have a boat" Anyway here's what you do, pick a day your going to go fishing and bring nothing with you but 2 bait caster rods set up to drop shot this will force you to do nothing but drop shot all day long. After the day is over you will leave knowing the inn’s and outs of drop shot. Hopefully this will help you.

Mikesgr8@aol.com
www.xtremeglove.com
www.bpboatcenter.com
DAKINE198

Post by DAKINE198 »

I fish two different rods for dropshot, both a baitcasters.
1. GLX/MBR782C w/ Team Daiwa TD-Z103H
#4-#8 P-line 1/8oz +
2. GLX/MBR842C w/ Curado Mg
#10-#12 P-line 5/16oz +
I could never get used to the feel of dropshotting w/ spinning reel.
Pretty pricey yes, but if my wife is going to yell at me I'm making it worth my while. Plus you can find this stuff on E-bay if you know what to look for.
EGBASS

Post by EGBASS »

I use a baitcaster when dropshotting on the Delta since I use heavier weights there due to the current. Usually 3/8 oz but anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 oz. I usually use 14 lb flourocarbon, but with the Delta cover I am considering using 17 lb. I'm still using the spinning rods for drop shotting on the lakes (3/16 oz or less), mainly because I fish them towards the bank as much, if not more, then vertically. I am considering a Shimano Crucial Baitcasting Drop Shot Rod for vertical lake presentations.
ownfl4g

Post by ownfl4g »

Yah what happends when i try to flip a dropshot is the little thing has this rotating motion flipping over and over causing my reel like backlash pretty easy. Kind of hard to explain
Jason C.

Post by Jason C. »

I have been drop shitting with a baitcaster for years. I use a 6ft 6inch medium action rod and a Curodo 101. I dont have to many issuse with back last but I will get them ocasionally. And I will flip and pitch the drop shot just like u would a T-Rig or a Jig. But I will also cast them. Like was said before all it takes it practice practice practice! The more you use it the more youll get better at not getting backlashes!
Winning Isn't Everything...But Wanting To IS!
Tight Lines, Jason C.
jasonconser@yahoo.com 925-727-4077
[color=orange] www.dobynsrods.com [/color]
[color=blue] www.inland-marine.com [/color]
Mark Langner

Post by Mark Langner »

Everyone has already given you some good advice. I too use only bait cast reels (Shimano Chronarch) for dropshot. My lake outfit uses 8 pound florocarbon, my Delta/Clearlake uses heavier lines. I mostly pitch/flip, but when I need to get my bait farther from the boat, I'll overhead cast. It just takes practice, adjusting the reel tension for the weight your using.

I prefer the bait cast reel on drop shot because I feel when I'm fighting the fish I have a more positive feel of the situation with a bait cast reel, and with the smaller hooks that I typically use I think I have better control.....really just a preference for me.
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

the little thing has this rotating motion flipping over and over
This typically will happen when you do not have enough weight! I dropshot with a custom Beichman rod that is 6'9" MH fast action tip. I use nothing less than a 3/8 oz Mojo weight or a round weight. When yer weight is lighter than yer bait and hook, the hook and worm take the lead when ya pitch it out there, then the weight comes fly'n up behind it causing the mess you explained.
ownfl4g

Post by ownfl4g »

Thanks cooch thats exactly whats happening.
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

Whether you am using a baitcaster or a spinning reel, you will get line twist..I prefer the advantage of good line..No matter what line you use, you still get twist..The last year I went to using a size zero ball bearing swivel..End on wasting good line..You can pre-tie these rigs a be ready to go in a flash after a break off...Yes you have added two knots, but I have not had a failure. Just be careful not to reel the swivel into the tip guide...For the river and Clear lake I would think about using a twenty pound braid as my main line...
http://www.dobynsrods.com
ownfl4g

Post by ownfl4g »

Yah at clearlake we used braided line with a good size mono leader, its cool because the line is so easy to see and you dont waste alot of line on 1000 rock snags.