Home water advantage or curse?

DR

Home water advantage or curse?

Post by DR »

There seems to be a contradiction out there about whether or not it is an advantage to be fishing a tournament on your "home" water against others who are not as familiar with the body of water as yourself.
Some of the posts discussing a new California team circuit mentioned making sure guys could not dominate close to home. However, at the same time I've heard, read, etc. about the "home lake jink" where "locals" rarely do well in some of the national events because they are....well, local and know the lake too well!

What gives?
Advantage or Disadvantage?
sTony

Re: Home water advantage or curse?

Post by sTony »

I'm guessing but I would have to think that fishing the home lake gives you an advantage more often then not. Even on the national level, guys who have a better familiarity witht he lake tend to do better overall. That's not to say that guys don't come in form outside the area and do well but overall it's more liekly that the homers have the upper hand.

sTony
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

For the most part, a home lake advantage, probably helps. However I can tell you, as others can, that it does not always come work. A person can really bomb on his home lake, just when he believes he has the pattern down. At least that is my take. Bill K :)
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
Murph

Post by Murph »

Definitely an advantage! I wish I had a home lake.
It might be lonely at the Top, but it's a bitch, at the Bottom !
Skeeterman

Post by Skeeterman »

Advantage, because you know the structures of the lake more than the visitor.
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

If you fish your home lake, lets say 49 times per year and then fish against others that only fish it once or twice per year, you should have a definite advantage..Does that mean you will win every tournament or for that matter any tournament on your home waters, absolutely not..Much like home field advantage for a baseball team..The home team probably knows the various ways the winds if any can affect the play..Does the home team always win, not the last time I looked..Is there an advantage to fishing on one lake, of course, it just does not insure the local a win..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

If it's a tough bite, home water advantage kicks in.
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.
ownfl4g

Post by ownfl4g »

Didnt that one guy, scott rook I think? won the bassmaster legends last weekend and I think hes from arkansas (where the tournament was held)
Colebass

Yes he is

Post by Colebass »

3 of the top 6 were local or semi local.

It is an advantage, does it always lead to a win, no........but more than not, you get a check!

I would agree with the poster that sadi, when the bite is tough it helps. I've seen this happen many times. The good ones regonize the tough bite sooner than the rest of us and adapt.
Dave Cole
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I think the advantage "for me anyway :wink: " on my home water is I know what adjustments to make when mother nature throws you a curve or there is a drop of water or something not forseeable by the field. It is however a curse often times more than not when someone less familiar goes out and strokes the fish in a method that of course won't work because the fish NEVER do such and such at this time of year. By having a history with the waters you are sometimes doomed and sometimes blessed but all and all. You have to know when to fish or cut bait and that is when the creme rises to the top. Will I win if I stay on my own lake and fish it only. A definite no. I might have a good average but winning takes more than skill and anyone can tell you that! I won AOY year in our local club and the next year I started out wondering why the fish wern't jumping on my baits? I mean didn't they know who was fishing for them? That's when you realize all glory is fleeting and you need to go fishing as that's how you got to that pleatau in the first place. If you can keep in tune with your souroundings like a Rick Clunn for example you will be the better angler and therefore have the higher average finish. It is toughest I feel for the guys who are competitive but lack the time to spend on the water because they have a life outside of fishing that cannot be denied.
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
NaCl

Well said!*NM*

Post by NaCl »

*NM*
Jerkbait0071

Post by Jerkbait0071 »

Fishing home town water can be an advantage to you. However normally when you fish a body of water a bunch you tend to get set on one pattern that you know will work for specific times of the year. A "pattern" as we all know can change at the drop of a hat which would be a total disadvantage to you. I have fished tournaments all over the West Coast and I will tell you from my experience I have kicked a$$ on lakes and rivers that I did not know. It almost seems as if you’re on a body of water that you don’t know, you’re forced to put together a pattern rather quickly. So in my opinion the only advantage to fishing your home town water is knowing your way around and knowing the structure, that’s it.
www.xtremeglove.com
www.bpboatcenter.com
Scott Shambre

The 2005 FLW Championship...

Post by Scott Shambre »

which was won by George Cochran was held on his "home" lake. So homey in fact, he fished his own dock during the tournament.

Scott Shambre
swordfish

Re: The 2005 FLW Championship...

Post by swordfish »

The home lake curse is for guys who fish memories and spots not the fish. Also the temptation to run all those memories can lead one astray instead of moving, changing with the fish in a good area some leave for greener pastures and leave catchable fish behind.Depends on the body of water, resident fish or productive patterns.
the best way to catch a big one is don't lose um sharp hooks set drag retie!
rmcollins3

Re: The 2005 FLW Championship...

Post by rmcollins3 »

More often than not, it's a definite advantage. It's just more publicized when a local angler doesn't win on his home lake than when he does.

Hasn't the same guy that lives on Shasta won the WON Pro/Am 3 years in a row? Sorry, forgot his name.

It's happened so many times this year in BASS and FLW where the local guy has won or at least come very close to winning.

For example, in BASS this year alone:

Davy Hite won at Clarks Hill (He's from Ninety-Six, SC)

Mike McClelland won at Grand Lake (He had fished over 100 tourneys on that lake)

Greg Hackney won at Sam Rayburn (He's from Louisiana and also fished dozens of tourneys on that lake)

Jason Quinn got 2nd at Lake Wylie, where he has been a local guide for years.

Scott Rook just won on the Arkansas River, and he's from Little Rock.

'Nuff said.
Jeff Jewell

Post by Jeff Jewell »

Hmmmm Robert Lee :D
When in Doubt " Set the Hook"
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Nah, Robert isn't a Delta Rat..He just got lucky..Yeah right......

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

New Melones is Robert Lee's home water. He only fishes the Delta at tournament time.
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.