Bassboat-moisture , corrosion under tarp???

TonyL

Bassboat-moisture , corrosion under tarp???

Post by TonyL »

Hey guys! There was some discussion here in the recent past having to do with moisture,leading to corrosion in a boat stored under a tarp?Someone mentioned some type of device to remove the moisture from under the tarp there by eliminating the corrosion?Sound familiar?I don't have a garage,I'm storing my new/used B.boat under some good tarps totally covering the boat /trailer,my concern is with moisture in the up coming months getting trapped in there corroding the boat and all the gear.I had this happen to some Harleys in the past!!!Any recommendations,also is it a bad idea to keep the gear in the boat?I like the idea of just hooking up the trailer and being off to the lake ,not worrying if I forgot something??Thanks in advance.
Andy Giannini

Re: Bassboat-moisture , corrosion under tarp???

Post by Andy Giannini »

You can buy a Goldenrod, they are used in gunsafes so shooting stores are a good start. Or go to the Midway website and order online. Use goldenrod as your keyword search at Midway.

Another good product is Corrosion X punch them up on your websearch. It is a great product for corrosion protection. I love the product it really works. I spray it on anything electronic, batts, reels, or anything that is metal that I care about. It also restores continuity on electric circuts like the plug for your trailer. And it doesn't dry up and evaporate like WD-40.

I have to stop now, or this post might wander off into infomecial land! :mrgreen:

A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

The last time this topic came up I had suggested a product called "Dri-Z-Air" which is a granulated dessicant that pulls moisture out of the air. Someone else said that regular kitty litter works just as well. While I've never tried the kitty litter I have used the Dri-Z-Air and the nice thing about that is that you can "see" it working in that it will generate a puddle of water in the container you place it in.

A small fan under your tarps will work wonders as well!

The electric rods do work well in gun cabinets (i.e., small spaces) but I don't know how well they might work in your situation.

As for leaving your gear in the boat, unless you want to donate it all to the local thugs I would suggest bringing it in!

You may want to search the forum using condensation as a keyword.
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

Air circulation is the key, and the above advice is good on drying agents, think condensation and mold and watch out for pests like rodents and ants ya just can't beat a garage but thats not always an option
the best way to catch a big one is don't lose um sharp hooks set drag retie!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I use a 20" box fan under the cover during the winter, when my boat is soaked. The heat from the onboard charger helps, too, but the fan really does the trick. Mould doesn't grow in moving air.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Brian

Post by Brian »

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates ... &noImage=0
I used to use one when my boat was outside. This thing worked great. If you dont think this one is big enough then go here.

http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com/
Marc

This Works...

Post by Marc »

...I have had great success using a "Happy's Air Dryer" which was designed specifically for use with boats. It is safe and won't burn your carpet, yet uses less electricity than most other electrical devices. Its design provides air circulation without a fan (through convection).

Here is a link to one place that sells them:

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/338220023msk.htm
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Tony, I've tried a lot of the advice everyone has provided and its of my opinion based on my results that a fan works best. During the rainy season I place a 20in oscilating fan under the cover on the bow....run it on a timer. I run it during the night thru early mornings and anytime it rains. One other good tip is to sun dry your boat anytime you can during the winter months....on a nice sunny day remove the cover for a few hours.

If you do get mold on your carpet and seats try using a solution of water and amonia (5:1).

Good luck

Hitman
Hitman

Fish Hard Films
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

Thanks alot for the info guys!
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Learned my lessons. Kept the boat in the open, so I used a blue plastic tarp over the canvas to 'really protect everything' which trapped moisture and caused all kinds of mold. Then bought a portable carport and kept just the canvas cover on and ran a fan on a timer, but kept the cover proped up about 4" to 'let air in'. It turned out to be a great place for the neighborhood cat to enter to have a litter which I didn't discover until I was leaving for the Delta. Now it's indoors.

Morgan
mark poulson

Yeow!!! Had that happen in the back seat of my convertable.

Post by mark poulson »

*NM*
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY