SPOONS

cleb19

SPOONS

Post by cleb19 »

Anybody spooning right now, Oroville, folsom, etc just wondering what everybody's beem spooning with me personally, I have been using a pirk minnow, and some revenge spoons, what is your favorite spoon and time of the year? Thanks
Kelly Ripa

Re: SPOONS

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Go to the Cachuma reports page....If they have been eating them for 5 weeks here I would imagine they would have been on them sooner up your way :wink:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
Phil

Post by Phil »

BINGO !! SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!
SABP

SPOONS at Folsom

Post by SABP »

Been catching them on spoons on Folsom for the last month. Best way to catch numbers of fish right now.

Megabait or Duh! spoon, 40-50 ft over flats with baitfish.

Showed some spooning on "True Bass". It aired a couple of weeks ago. We shot that one on Folsom.

Damon
Blue_R70

Post by Blue_R70 »

What kind of action does the Revenge spoon have? I've used Pirk spoons with great results and my current favorite is the Duh! spoon (love the flutter they give off). How does the Revenge compare to these two? The finishes look pretty nice but what about their action...
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Before we spoon we need to hug. Spoonin up fish for about a month now.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

You fellows just be careful who you are spooning with out on the water..Boat. Way to go right now, deep and slow. Bill K :lol:
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
cleb19

Post by cleb19 »

I knew as soon as I posted the spoons thing, that somebody would take it and run with it :D thats good, but the refevenge spoon is a little rougher which causes a little more sparidic movement on the spoon I've been told to fish the revenge when the fish are a little more active, it can be fished very fast, I like the Duh spoon also I like the colors any favorites you guys like in particular folsom, oroville

CLEB19
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

My personal take on spoons. Finish means zip! Fall rate that's what I'm talk'n about. I have some ol' haddock structure spoons with prism tape and a little paint. The thin one falls fast the slab spoon less....Chrome hammered finish has always been good enough for me...Scared ya didn't I Mark :P ...I won't be letting the cat out o' the bag my friend :wink:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

For many years I have bought all the hot new spoons..Yes I was was a victim..Of all the baits that have come along over the years, the first spoon I ever used still catches them like mad..The 3/4 once Hopkins Shorty!!!!
http://www.dobynsrods.com
BILLY

Post by BILLY »

Went to clearlake for a few days last week. Wed. spooned a 6.+ and thursday spooned a 8.92.
BILLY TEAM FATBOY
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

You and me Johhny C. That's all ya need...Hopkins shorty is the bread and butter spoon. Learn it and stick with it!
LET'S GO BRANDON
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

The Duh, Hopkins are great spoons. But do not forget the old Castmasters, silver w/blue or silver w/red work super under those shad balls. Bill K :)
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
Phil

Post by Phil »

I'm with Bill K on that one. All I have ever used and still use to date is Kastmasters silver 1/2 to 1 oz spoons. Change the hooks though, they come with to small of a hook. The fall rate is perfect also is the wobble.

Jigs
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I like Kastmasters but not for verticle spooning. They slide real nice when fishing a wall or I (the fish) don't want as fast a fall rate. Chrome and chrome/blue. I dump all stock hooks on my spoons because they are usually junk.
LET'S GO BRANDON
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

How do ya fish these spoons??
cleb19

Post by cleb19 »

yes we have I didnt intend on this being a how to, what to topic man o man :lol: just playin good to hear other inputs

CLEB19
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

TonyL,
I'm not a spoon expert, but this is what I do.
I try to find a concentration of baitfish, and then find some structure next to them. I usually drop my spoon down to the depth of the bottom of the baitfish on that structure, so it is on the bottom. If there is a school in 30-40', I look for a wall or point next to it and fish the 40' depth first. If I don't get bit, I'll move up in 5' steps until I get bit. Using your depth finder is really helpful in watching your spoon's action, and making sure you're at the right depth.
I do little lifts and drops. The colder the water, the smaller the lifts. Try to follow the spoon down with your rod on the drops, since that's when you get bit most of the time. Just jerking it up and letting it free fall means you'll never feel most hits.
Winter I lift 12", summer 2-3'. The warmer the water, the more active the fish, and the bigger the lift.
It takes patience, just like any finesse technique. But it will catch fish when nothing else seems to work.
Hope this helps.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

Much appreciated Mark,THANKS!
Tony
fishwithwill

Post by fishwithwill »

Spoonin' dirty water like the California Delta may require painted spoons. I don' t know for sure but someone told me that the metallic chrome or gold does not show so well when spooning 20+ in the Delta. Someone give it up. What's the skinny for Delta spooning. Thank you for the tips on lure choice and working the spoon, that was huge. It is really encouraging to hear people catching tourny quality fish on spoons. Now I gotta go shopping and put another 20+ pounds of iron in my boat. Uh, is this where I'm supposed to plug my favorite fishing Mfg. and local shops?
This space for rent,
William Wright
bassaddicted

Post by bassaddicted »

this is what i do i take a bobber red and white put it about 3 feet above spoon then then let it drop slowley to the bottom most of the time it wont make it to the bottom before you get hammered if it does make it bring it back up above bait ball then release bail
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

That sounds too good. I'll try it, for sure.
And congratulations on your tournament win.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
bassaddicted

Post by bassaddicted »

ty mark good luck youll be amazed just bring different sized bobbers youll need to the right size that the spoon will pull down