Do You Use Ring Free?

Steve Ericksen

Do You Use Ring Free?

Post by Steve Ericksen »

The previous post about engine maintenance got me thinking about whether or not I should start using the Ring Free additive, to protect my 225 opti. I always fill up with Premium Grade gas from Chevron, but I'm not sure if that's enough.

How many of you guys are using Ring Free or a comparable brand? Any good or bad experiences, recommendations etc?
www.PatTillmanFoundation.com
BLAZER 210

Re: Do You Use Ring Free?

Post by BLAZER 210 »

I use Ring Free but I run a Yamaha I think most of the Mecury guys use Sea Foam. Ring free works good for me just add a couple ounces when i fill up keeps my plugs good and clean keeps the carbon build up down.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I have a 150 Evinrude and I use Seafoam and Stabyl. I use seafoam with every other full tank of gas and the stabyl when the gas will set for over two weeks.

REgards,

Jonathan
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
BassNCop

Post by BassNCop »

I have a Merc 225 EFI and the previous owner told me to use Ring Free because he had since he bought the boat new. I have used it everytime I gas up. I have had no problems what so ever which I believe by using this product helped. I have talked to a many good marine engine mechanics and they all recommend it also.
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

Mercury sells a product called Quikleen which is similar to if not the same as Ring Free from Yamaha, which in turn is purported to be the same product called Techron which is added to Chevron gasolines (but I have never seen anything confirming that).

The benefit of Ring Free/Quickleen is that it prevents carbon build-up inside the combustion chamber but more importantly behind the piston rings. Carbon deposits building up under your rings will ultimately lead to a $eized pi$ton. . . :cry:

Sea Foam is supposed to do the same thing but I don't think it is as concentrated as the other products, so you need to use more in the tank.

I have heard some people say that if they run Chevron gas, they don't run any other products. I have been using the Quickleen in my Yamaha simply because C&C was out of the Ring Free product. My understanding is that those two products are virtually identical except for the concentration.
bassrman

Post by bassrman »

I have been useing merc quickclean & chevron gas in my 01 200 opti,since it was new !,I have had no problems at all,runs like new !,you can tell by looking inside your prop hub ! if it is black with carbon soot !,you need too run some quickclean !...bassrman
Mike T

Post by Mike T »

I have used a product called carbon free in my 01 225 Optimax since it was new. Never had a problem with it (knock on wood).

I was told as Ken said that it's just a form of Techron? I only burn Chevron gasoline. I'm not a big fan of additives, but I can see the carbon build up on my prop is a little more if I happen not to add the stuff.

I'm just following what a mechanic told me to do. Said it would make the engine last longer. We'll see how right he was, 6 years in March, 14 more to go!
Marty

Post by Marty »

I was just informed by Frank at Inland Marine to use Quickleen in every other fill up. One oz for every 6 gallons of gas. Which mean one bottle is good for two fill ups. As for my 05 115 Optimax I fill it up with high octane gas right after a day fishing – that way I hoping no moister will get into the tank. As for the black carbon soot in the prop hub I don’t know if I have it – I clean that area each time I clean the boat and I do that every time I come out of the water.
CORAL 96

Re: Do You Use Ring Free? NO

Post by CORAL 96 »

I use Seafoam for 2 reasons being. It cleans the insides & stabilizes your fuel. For folks like me who don't have the pleasure to run atleast once per month, I like to know my fuel is still fresh. I wish I could go out every month, but sometimes the funds nor the time allow. Try Seafoam, you'll like it!!! 8) 8)
Lake

Re: Do You Use Ring Free? NO

Post by Lake »

Interesting comments. I have a 96 225EFI and have never used any of the additives.
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

Okay, Stupid Question, where can I find Ring Free in the Modesto area? Any idea of cost?
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.
CORAL 96

Post by CORAL 96 »

I have the same motor as you do Lake. I have a 1996 Merc 225 EFI on a Viper Coral 202. I've had the boat for about 4 years now. Prior to that, I had a 1995 Procraft 180 combo with a 150 Mariner carbed motor. Had heard about folks using Seafoam on another forum. Started using it in the Mariner & exclusively on the Merc along with Amsoil HPI oil. Have had good results. Main reason for the Seafoam is for the stabilizing of my fuel. Like I'd said in previous post, I'm not as lucky as others. My boat has sat for about 3 months now in covered storage. It's nice to know that when I run next, my fuel will still be good. Some use Stabil, but I prefer Seafoam because it cleans as well. I also try to run 89 octane Chevron when available as the Techron cleans the insides good as well. I've heard fuel can go bad in as little as 2 months. Good protection!!!! 8) 8)
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

You should be able to buy the Ring-Free at C & C Marine. It's around $12 a bottle. You can also use the Merc Quickleen which they should also have on hand. It's a bit less expensive ($9) but you use a little more with each tank, so really it's all the same.
Jim Conlow Sr.

It seems to make your spark plugs last a lot longer and

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

will keep your reed valves healthier for a lot longer I am told. This might possibly save you a blown power head.
[i][b]Ride With a [size=200]Legend[/size][/b][/i]
www.legendmarine.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.inland-marine.com
[img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/150x50/legend.jpg[/img]
Steve Ericksen

Re: It seems to make your spark plugs last a lot longer and

Post by Steve Ericksen »

Thanks for everyones input, I think I'm going to start using an additive, my 225 opti has a little over 300 hrs. and hasn't skipped a beat (knock on wood) and I hope it stays that way!
www.PatTillmanFoundation.com
Quantum_Kid

Post by Quantum_Kid »

Does it work on 4-strokes?

My dad and I have a 90hp merc, so would one of the additives help, or is it just for the higher horsepower motors?

Thanks,

Scott
~Scott Trummer~
AKA Tom's Netboy

www.quantumfishing.com
www.sufix.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.menditglue.com
CORAL 96

Post by CORAL 96 »

Seafoam works well in 4-Stroke applications as well. I run it in my cars to keep the injectors clean. With a Caprice wagon that has 242k on the original motor & tranny and a 1999 Suburban tow vehicle that just turned 127k. Keeps them running well. I also put a little in a gerry can I use for the mower. Keeps the fuel fresh!!!