BassFan Reports Gerald Swindle DQ'd Day Two of Classic

DanO

BassFan Reports Gerald Swindle DQ'd Day Two of Classic

Post by DanO »

Looks similar to last year with Ike.

One of the sport's biggest spokesmen out of the Classic

From Bass Fan.com
Swindle DQd 2/24/2007
Moments ago BASS tournament director Trip Weldon announced that Gerald Swindle's day-2 weight at the Bassmaster Classic was DQd. More details are forthcoming, but Weldon noted Swindle's weight was DQd for a violation of BASS Rule 5. Weldon said Swindle engaged in unsafe boating practice in regards to other boats, specifically spectators. The violation was captured on video, and that video will be made public.

DanO
crawdaddy

Re: BassFan Reports Gerald Swindle DQ'd Day Two of Classic

Post by crawdaddy »

I saw him on the Match Fishing show when he was sharing a boat with and getting smoked by Luke Clausen. That guy is arrogant and has a lousy attitude. He is always riled up about something and he runs his mouth. I am happy he got DQ'd. I think he is a very poor ambassador to the sport. If Ike had done this people would be calling for his sponsorships to be pulled again. But Gerald or excuse me "G" seems to get a pass on this kind of stuff. Just read his remarks from day 1, he stated that he better not see anyone other than the 3 guys he was sharing water with on Day 2. Really nice, especially when he had the lowest weight of all the guys in that area. Every interview and segment I have seen featuring this guy always has some kind of negative tone at some point. I am sure he will have a nice spin on his actions, I for one will not be buying.
I would rather jog home from my own Vasectomy than spend Saturday at the mall.
Gator

Post by Gator »

I just watched the video and he deserves to be not only DQ'ed but he needs to be banned from competition. He put a major black eye on tournament fisherman. He was WOT less than 5 feet from another boat. Totally UNCALLED FOR. I used to like to watch him but I guess I'll have to add him to the list of those who I don't care to watch.

I hope BASS steps up and slaps him with more than just this DQ.
Doug Hodel

Post by Doug Hodel »

Here is the link for the video

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/tour ... id=2778146

I believe this is much worse than Mike Ike last year. Swindle put others saftey in jeopardy.
Gator

Post by Gator »

Thanks for posting that Jim. I was so freakin mad after seeing that I just forgot to post it. I want everyone to watch this and see what you ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO.
Doug Hodel

Post by Doug Hodel »

Your welcome even though I'm not Jim. :)
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I second that Gator. What Ike did(last year) was uncalled for and showed poor sportsmanship and all that, but G's action is fully a matter of save and sane boating and someone could get injured or killed, no way should that be passed over. Bill K
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
StockOption

Post by StockOption »

Yeah I saw that....not cool at all, very, very unsafe.

BASS is lucky no serious injuries occured.
Kurt
Gator

Post by Gator »

OOPS!! Thanks DOUG! Guess I was still a little crosseyed after seeing that!
Gator

Post by Gator »

OMG - They are doing a story on him right now on the live weighin - YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME.
Gator

Post by Gator »

Alright - I just watched him talk about it. I have a little more respect for him now. Scratch that - I have a lot more.
Doug Hodel

Post by Doug Hodel »

I think he saved some serious face.
DanO

Post by DanO »

Ditto Gator...

I have enjoyed his schtick and his stuff in the past, he is enthusiastic and promotes himself, his sponsors and our sport well.

I have gained more respect for him now as well. Pushing to win is certainly understood, sometimes it gets in the way of better judgeement. But for Swindle to stand on stage like that, in the face of what happened and handle it with the dignity of a professional, that was classy.

DanO
bassenvy

Post by bassenvy »

I seen G-man on the ultimate match fishing show as well and haven't liked him since...he ridiculed Luke for fishing plastics and said it was sissy fishin' and anyone could do it. He was all fired up cause luke whipped up on him and then ofcourse luke went on to win the series. Total classless act here and he gets tons of camera time cause he's got such a big mouth. Let's save the drama for the daytime soaps ESPN and keep it real.

just watched the video....what a punk! he was waving his hands like the seas should have parted for him...I would have been tempted to throw somethin' if I was in one of those boats...what nerve..this guys head has gotten way too big! I have no respect for him even if he was the AOY for '04
nipples

Post by nipples »

I saw the weigh-in and I saw the video.

That video does not show a "bad judgement call", it shows a serious lack of a brain.

I've had that happen to me on 4 different occasions in the delta. I give other boats as much distance as I can, especially if they are fishing. And if they are fishing I slow to no wake. I agree with the DQ.
Do it like no one is watching...
DanO

Post by DanO »

Now Iaconelli on the other hand...

Companies put up the money, the sponsor equipment gets used.

Another time to speak those views would have been better.

DanO
L.Hackney

Post by L.Hackney »

I agree with the DQ 110%..
I seen the match fishing where he was trying to be an intimedating ***. I seen last year when he ran Zell Rowland away from fishing a bridge pileing on the oppsite side of the river. Then now, letting his temper show his true side and doing something as wreckless and inconsiderate as this. If ranger dumped Ike for the flag incodent, then Gerald needs more than a Hand Slappin'''.
http://basscat.com/

http://mossdale-boats.com/

http://placervilleflyfishing.com/

http://luckydoginc.net/

http://www.eyesurrenderonline.com/
shifterpilot2001

Post by shifterpilot2001 »

I feel he deserves to be DQ'd from the entire event.... he put others lives in harms way.....It was a bad decision????, it was a deliberate act and lack of care for others and rules of competition....He said it himself on stage.....he believes in his boat, built by a boat racer... and he believes in his motor.... and his ability to drive it...what is that??? and he will "go get it" in any competition??? He was just his typical arrogant self, expecting the people to get out of his way, evident by his hand gestures... and when they didnt, he showed them..... the video says it all along with his speech, which was started with his arrogant tone, then finished off with tears????? I could see still having respect for him if he actually took responsibility right from the get go with the tears, but he didnt....Now I know.... competition brings out a different side.... but as a professional, that side might be bad words, temper tantrum, etc..... but what he did is ABSOLUTELY unexuseable.....an example should be made... he should be suspended from competition for 3 or 4 events... minimum.....

my .02

Mike Conser
Dan McKenzie

Post by Dan McKenzie »

I guess I missed the dignifying part of his speech on stage?? I came away thinking he was an arrogant idiot.
Paul W

Re: Wow.........

Post by Paul W »

I just watched the video about 3 times.......after seeing that the DQ had to have been a no brainer for Trip Weldon. Looks like maybe a 15 foot gap between the 2 boats and he goes right thru the middle with no care in the world. You would think he'd know NOT to do that, especially in the Classic!!! Its a good thing that cameraman was there, can't dispute video evidence.

Paul W
SHAFT

Post by SHAFT »

This guy has fishing skills there is no question about that it seems like he is always in the top 10 but I have seen him pull some real bone head moves and he takes himself out every time , he is his own worst enemy , and this boat thing is typical Swindel yet he doesn't understand why he can't win !!!
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

Sweet, so I can do any jerk move, then apoligize for it in a nice sincere manner and all is forgoten?

I appreciate that he stood up and tok the blame, but if that's all it takes then hell, do what ever and apoligize later.
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.
Saechao

Re: Wow.........

Post by Saechao »

after see the video g should be kicked off the serise this comin season. he was maybe 5 feet away from that boat. and less than 30 from the guy fishing. he coulda hurt or maybe killed someone. i think gator said he put a blackeye on this sport. yep that was bad.
upriverLMB

Post by upriverLMB »

Can anybody say Bass Cat?

[/img][/url]
LMB
Vince Lazzeroni

Post by Vince Lazzeroni »

He is an ***, he needs to be banned. What he did could have caused serious injury to others. His taking the blame is not good enough. There needs to be stiffer penalties against him. What a jackass he is, so arrogant.
basstamer

I am SO impressed!

Post by basstamer »

I know there are alot of tournament fisherman on here and I REALLY thought there would be sympathy for this dumbass,I am very,VERY impressed nobody has any for him. I wont get started on Icanelli cuz that would get uuuuuggggly quick,BUT Swindle should be out of this race right now not just for the day. He should have his butt kicked too-I cm watching this right now and I got pissed! I told my wife they should DQ him then scrolled down and saw this post! WOOOOHOOO! That was stupid and he deserves what he got and then some. By the way somebody get Biffle some Kleenex cuz Skeet took "HIS" spot :(
Scott
Gator

Post by Gator »

Guys - you see I am not wavering from my original statement. He needs to pay for his deed. But I have a lot more respect for the man in the way he handled it. He showed up, took his lumps, said he was wrong and apologized. Not much more than that can you ask.
basstamer

Hey Gator-

Post by basstamer »

Where did you see the appology on Bassmasters.com or where?
Gator

Post by Gator »

On the live feed from the weighin - where he lost it a few times emotionally. (IN MY OPINION) He was truly sorry for what had happened. How many of us have been there? (IMO OFF)
basstamer

Post by basstamer »

Dammit-guess I wont see it-I was at Tackle Warehouse picking up goodies! :) So till now this is all new news to me
Scott
nipples

Post by nipples »

Fishin' Dave wrote:Sweet, so I can do any jerk move, then apoligize for it in a nice sincere manner and all is forgoten?

Who knows, Gerald might be Catholic...

One of my tech instructors told me that he grew up Catholic and didn't realize the benefit until he was 10 years old. He said that age 10 is when he realized that praying for a bike was the wrong approach. So he stole the bike and then went to confession. And from that moment on, he loved being Catholic.
Do it like no one is watching...
basstamer

Post by basstamer »

Ha Nipples thats the same thing I have always asked my wife-if you do it then go to confession it makes it all ok? Guess you gotta be Catholic to get it and I aint so I don't! Good one though-all in fun now guys-you catholics dont send me no hate mail now! :)
Scott
upriverLMB

Post by upriverLMB »

Just seen him crying and apologizing, he must be Southern Baptist
LMB
Vince Lazzeroni

Post by Vince Lazzeroni »

Yes, he apologized for what he did, but that doesn't take away the fact that he could've hurt or killed somone with his actions. Boating safety should be on the top, if not near the top, of the list of items for the classic. Yes, it is nice he apologized, but he should be DQ'd from the entire event and banned for the season. This would show others who might act like him in the future, that this is not something that is accepted by just an "apology".
For Christ sake, he was in charge of a vehicle, if he killed someone by his actions he could be charged with vehicular manslaughter.
pokey69

Post by pokey69 »

Was Gerald Swindle drunk or something . This kinda reminded me of Top Gun the movie when Maverick does those flybys on the tower. Except this looked a little more dangerous and I dont even know that much about boating.
GO Beers
shifterpilot2001

Post by shifterpilot2001 »

Spot on bones.......only cause he got DQ'd......the more I hear him talk about it, the more disturbed I get....he's not sorry at all.....
and know I'll always see him as a little %!$*&.... and I was a fan before tonight....

Mike
Rich hamilton

Re: CAN YOU SAY RE-HAB????????

Post by Rich hamilton »

he just checked into a program with brittney spears and BASS is reconsidering the DQ!!!! Only in america my brothers.... :shock: :shock: :shock:
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

It happens on the upper Sac at times durring the salmon season.

Sometimes the offenders launch the next day to find they no longer have a plug............. :lol:

It was unsafe and they made the right call on the DQ per the rules. - But Good Night !! Doesn't the ESPN Coverage on TV have more fishing footage to show that just running that clip more than 18 times and talking about it !! :roll: I would of liked to of rather of seen how Ish cought his last three bass to make the cut from 12 places down. :wink:
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Bassbones, you hit the nail on the head. I watched the whole weigh-in (had to work the gallery) and on stage he was upset and crying, but it was because they found him at fault and he said he did not feel he was- he said 'I'm not a cheater' to the Tourney Director as he walked off stage.

His statements and crying had me fooled, until I saw how close he came to folks in either one of the boats he went between later on after reading this post. What, about 10' on either side while on plane? So the sorry part was for being DQ'd, not for his actions as he claimed he was innocent of the charges- right.

PS Good thing for video, or it would be a he said, she said scenario.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
StockOption

Post by StockOption »

His initial justifications; "Randy waved me through", "like facing John Smoltz"....were a bit misplaced to.

Yeah he might not have "been cheating", but risking life and limb of innocents is a far greater wrong, IMO.

After watching the complete broadcast I wonder if he truly realizes just what he did out there today and how lucky he truly was?

And right on DeltaDan ESPN BASS needs to show more fishing and less "lets go behind the scenes" crapola.....argggh....
Kurt
basstamer

What cracked me up is....

Post by basstamer »

he appologized to his Sponsors but not the spectators or the camera men or that I recall hearing his fellow Angler. Now when Saunders and Zona asked if the shoe were on the other foot and Howell did that to him and he said it wouldnt bother him....BS! He woulda cried foul bigtime. I never really have been a big fan of his but this really put a shadow over him for me. It was stupid and I think his appology was more to save face than apologize.Does he feel sorry or just stupid? I dont care who it is ANYONE that is that stupid for competetion needs to be watching from the bank-$500,000.00 is alot of money but no amount makes it worth risking anothers life....maybe someone should tell him this is fishin not racing re: his remark about two drivers running neck and neck to the finish line.....HUH? Can u say fill it to the line,dont flush and put it thru the window when your done? What a Loooooozer!Just my .02 guys
Scott
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Fishin' Dave wrote:Sweet, so I can do any jerk move, then apoligize for it in a nice sincere manner and all is forgoten?
Dave- For the answer of that question..... Just call up and ask Timmy Hardaway and Jim Zumbo of their opinion on that matter ........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
luvmystratos

Post by luvmystratos »

He is no more arrogant than Iaconelli, Reese, Monroe, and a few others who seem to know when the camera is on them. Yes, what he did was a violation but what about the move Reese pulled on Biffle? I have seen this happen at a few of the past Classics and the guy who was at the spot first has another fisherman just come in and take over the spot or area he had earlier in the tournament. Should he have been DQ'd or had some harsh words thrown his way by Biffle?
Life is short enjoy each and everyday!
bassenvy

Post by bassenvy »

yea Reese did roll up on him....that wasn't a good look for him at all...the big piece they did on him might have lightened that whole matter up...I still say go Reese! WEST SIDE!
Cooch

Swindle's DQ, is a perfect example!

Post by Cooch »

Of the sheer ignorance and selfish thought processes that takes over ones mind when tournament bass fishing! Anglers git SO FOCUSED on themselves, they have little or no care of those around them. I see this on a daily basis on the River! I've been on the other boat more often than I care to remember. I just wish there was some way to rock these guys world, as BASS did to Swindle. It was just, it was neccessary. No matter what WE think as individuals, we MUST, keep the safety of every one around us in mind when on the water, not just in tournaments.

I've always like Gerald, he's been one of the great characters of the Tour fer many years now. Some may not like his arrogance, I think it's just part of his "show". It was inspiring to see how his attitude changed from,"I'm a proffessional, this is my job, I was in control", to looking at it from a different perspective, "Wow, I was a jerk, I was unsafe to those around me, I'm sorry, it'll never happen again". I truely believe he was sincere. It really is a shame it had ta happen in the CLASSIC, but this was an eye opening situation that HAD to happen, for the entire bass fishing community to see. Maybe now, some of ya'll will think twice out there before you pull that same stunt again yerselves. Lord knows I've done it, got my arse chewed out good by a guy in a little aluminum boat back in the early 90's. I now try my absolute best to respect the other guys right to safety, while on the water too, every day.
MGJR

Re: Swindle's DQ, is a perfect example!

Post by MGJR »

I was dissappointed in the production all together. I like the feelgood family stories and about those have struggled and made a successful career of bass fishing, but I would like to see folks actually fish. How many time did they show Swindles little move and how many times were they going to show the stupid leader board??? KVD moved 18 places and I don't think I saw him catch one fish...what about Gary Kline? He's in 6th, never even saw a picture of the guy! Its disappointing that they arent highlighting the skills and fishing of the anglers who are making this competition, insteading they are highlighting standings (unofficial at that) and Swindles stupid move. Which I think was completely uncalled for. I watched in slow motion a few times, he was less that a boats width from the camera boat. Lame call.

MG
DAKINE198

Post by DAKINE198 »

I agree with the decision of BASS, but put yourself in his position. If this is your livelyhood and competitve fishing is what drives you, then can you say your not going to loose sight of those around you and their safety. For those of you who think he's an *** or a jerk for what he did or he's an arrogant person...CAN YOU LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SAY YOUV'E NEVER DONE AT LEAST ONE STUPID THING IN YOUR LIFE. If you can then your a better person than the rest of the world. Lord knows I've made a good share of mistakes along the way, but it doesn't make me a totally bad person. "Let he who is blameless cast the first stone". We are all human and we are going to make mistakes, just be thankful no one was hurt.
AINOKEA..........life is good...but I'm mad as Hell
basstamer

Post by basstamer »

You are correct-we have all done stupid stuff that we should probably thank the lord for that we and everyone else is still alive,BUT he did it and now has to pay the consequences......if you were speeding down the highway and you got pulled over and ticketed would you argue with getting a ticket? Same deal-you take the chance you gotta also take the lumps that come with it. I have opinions of Swindle much like I do of Ike,but the charecter of the man isnt or at least shouldnt be the issue-the ignorance of his actions should be. I personally did not feel ANY sincerity in his "appology"-sounded TO ME like he was trying to save face with his sponsors and protect his paycheck...as far as it being his livelyhood that still doesnt make risking the lives of 5-6 other people acceptable in my book. Tight Lines-
Scott
StockOption

Post by StockOption »

I guess I didn't see the sincereity either, maybe I'm probably being too hyper-critical, I dunno...I just got the impression from his statements that he was more concerned about being considered a "cheater" than being considered "reckless". And make no mistake what he did was reckless and the punishment was completely warranted.

Yeah the G-Man made a very costly mistake, all humans do. I will be very interested to see his take on this event after a few days of reflection......it will be telling to me if he realizes just how fortunate he was.
Kurt