Funny thing happened to me at Clear Lake

StogieMan

Funny thing happened to me at Clear Lake

Post by StogieMan »

So we are fishing a club tournament last Saturday at Clear Lake (Devil Mountain BassMasters) and it is a really windy day. We launched out of Redbud and the shoreline I wanted to fish was the Jago Bay area. I tried and tried but it was too hard to keep the boat positioned, let alone feel a bite so I ran across the arm to the other side, a hut know as the "boat house" is on that side, if that makes any sense. Anyway just north of there we were fliping docks when all of a sudden a sprinkler turned on and got us wet. This one of those rainbird, high powered jobs that go pfst, pfst,pfst, and then rat,tat, tat. :D every time i got close it went off. I never saw anyone and swear this thing was on an automatic sensor or something.
StockOption

Re: Funny thing happened to me at Clear Lake

Post by StockOption »

Hahaha...

Sounds like some clever dock owner has devised the "ultimate" fisherman repellent system.

Stogie, can I get a GPS number? Lord knows this will be an excellent place to hit up when them summertime temps take over in a few weeks :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kurt
Matt Moreau

Post by Matt Moreau »

LOL Stock!!! I can see it now....... 110* we are all lined up waiting to take our turn in the "Boat Wash"..... Ya i second that whats the GPS coordinates? That is sounding mighty fine even in this weather!
"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."

Matthew Moreau
big_gorilla

Post by big_gorilla »

If that is the case the more times you guys go there then his water bill will go way up and he will get a notice about to much water use.

Can he be reported to the water agency for something like that? With a water shortage I'm sure the water company wouldn't be happy with that.
First one in the box settles the nerves!
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

He or she has the sprinkler on a moton sensor to keep guys like us away from the dock. Anyone for a boat wash :lol:
shifterpilot2001

Post by shifterpilot2001 »

Now that is hilarious...... have to give the guy some big kudo's for the idea of it.....sure beats what the old man who own PitStop does to people when they fish his docks....

I would like GPS on it too....
JimmyReese

Post by JimmyReese »

Ha!

That is a true story! I found your secret dock on monday! Ha! I thought it was motion sensored as well...Too funny!

Jimmy
Dewayne

Re: I saw one a couple years ago in Lakeport

Post by Dewayne »

The owner said he has set it up to keep ducks off his dock, but laughed and said it worked pretty well on fishermen too. He was taking it out as his neighbor told him this would cause his dock to rot out faster.

Reese - You stay off my water! :)
Dewayne
L.Hackney

Post by L.Hackney »

They make those motion sensors for single sprinkler heads to keep deer out of garden's and lawn areas. This guy might have set it up as a boaters repelant.. haha...
I had a client that bought one and set it up but the deer got used to it after a while and came around anyway... :roll:
http://basscat.com/

http://mossdale-boats.com/

http://placervilleflyfishing.com/

http://luckydoginc.net/

http://www.eyesurrenderonline.com/
StockOption

Post by StockOption »

Actually I'm sure it's there to keep the birds and other wildlife off his dock.....
Kurt
Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

Well im glad you guys are fishing that dock...there are no fish there, but if you go out 20 yards, well thats my water so dont.
Monsterfishingtackle.com
Jim Conlow Sr.

Just wear your frog toggs

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

Cold be really cool in the summer
[i][b]Ride With a [size=200]Legend[/size][/b][/i]
www.legendmarine.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.inland-marine.com
[img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/150x50/legend.jpg[/img]
mpark

Post by mpark »

Found this one myself couple of weeks ago :shock: Told my son, I couldn't wait till I take my partner fishing there in our next tourney.: :evil: :evil: :evil: Hope he don't read this :shock: :shock:
nipples

Post by nipples »

Someone should find the motion sensor and put a bobblehead in front of it so it will go on anytime there is a slight breeze. Or position the sprinkler to aim at the house.. now that would be funny to watch...

If it's still going in the summer, it's going to attract more boats than it repels. I'll be in line for a mid day cooling... :)
Do it like no one is watching...
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

I was fishing Sunday on the North end, caught a fish on one side of a plastic floating dock, there was an aluminum boat blocking my view of the shore and some logs chained to keep boats out. Went around the other side of the dock and saw two fish behind the boat. I put it on high to go back around and as I just get there, sprinklers on the dock come on. I go to the outside edge and go around the sprinklers as they weren't aimed to the back of the cove. I just get in there and this old dude starts complaining of how "you fishermen keep breaking my dock lights and three times my Light pole" . (he has this black PVC post with a light on it in the middle of the cove, and the 'dock lights are those solar yard lights $3 ea)). I said I was sorry, left but thought this guys a fool if he thought that turning on sprinklers on somebody in full raingear and raining off and on was going to upset.
Morgan
scott h

Post by scott h »

Those docks are great to fish when its hot out, There are a few in Disco bay here on the delta that have the motion sensor installed when it is sweltering hot my son and I make it a point to stop by the hot weather mister system docks to cool off and say thank you for being so thoughtful as to keep us fisherman cool on those hot days! :mrgreen:
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

When it is over 100 degrees, my clients and I always fish that dock - fish or no fish!!
fisheryan

Post by fisheryan »

they have one of those that gets me all the time at the lake by my house. Shoot already have the raingear on in may so whats a sprinkler gonna do! haha
bassmonkey

Post by bassmonkey »

That's funny. I know the dock you speak of and yes 20 yards out, that little break holds some nice fish at times. I pulled up on that spot one morning a few years ago and was greeted by a very nice young lady who happened to be topless with double d's and a pink thong. They were partying all night and hammered. After about a five minute negotiation trying to get her to take the rest off, her man comes storming out and says HEY! " Isn't this the best fishing spot on the whole lake? I said yup I know I will be back. So always keep yours eyes peeled for more than just sprinklers when you fish that spot. Good times!
tYLoU

Post by tYLoU »

Thats is pretty funny. I am headed to CL next week guess I am going to have to keep and eye out.

As for the the sprinkler and motion sensor... I have always heard them referred to as Scarecrows. I have one by my Koi pond to keep any predators away. My buddy installed one to keep his dog from eating his $$$ Koi. I guess the can be used for about anything Predators, Pests, and Anglers lol.
PF3352

Post by PF3352 »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5D3GKlTkpY

its probably the Scarecrow. I have one for the racoons..works great

paul fontaine
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

They looked like regular rainbird sprinklers. I believe that he turned them on and they stayed on for about 15 minutes and he came back out looking before slithering back inside.
[IMG]http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2284/
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2284/1 ... 816670.jpg
Basslab

Post by Basslab »

What he is using is called a Scarecrow and I understand that Home Depot has them for $79 but I got mine from Amazon for around $30. Since I have a corner lot, people allow their animals to do their business on my lawn and this is motion activated to scare them away as soon as they approach, of which you can set the sensitivity for distance. Works really well and although it is a nuisance for fishermen at Clearlake, it does keep other unwanted animals away...........Enjoy the free water!