Would You Drive your boat @ 50 or your Car @ 60 ?

Guy Kelley

Would You Drive your boat @ 50 or your Car @ 60 ?

Post by Guy Kelley »

I realize that i should be posting this question in the political side of the forum. But ! There is something that has really been bugging me for quite some time. Speed on the Roads and Water.

When we had the oil embargo in the mid 70's do to the high cost of oil, We as a Nation came together and pretty much tumbed our noses at the Arabs by cutting our gas consumption by driving a mandated 55 mph on the freeways. True we rationed gas as well. Remember the odd & even days and the long lines at the pumps?

Now the cost of gas has gone even higher. I doubt we will ever see it go below $3.00 a gal. The Arabs and Manufacturers are getting even more richer and we as a people are taking it even more in the chops.

When is it going to be enough that WE BECOME MAD AS HELL AND NOT TAKE IT ANY MORE?????

That Idiot in South America (Chavez) is aligning him self with Iran and China by Nationalizing the oil fields and turning off the T.V stations. What a Jerk!

And we just seem to go on as sheep to the slaughter by whipping out or credit cards at the pumps. When is the last time you really looked at your P.G & E bill ? has it gone down or up over the years :evil:

My real question is would you be willing to drive on the roads at a mandated 60 mph or on the lakes and rivers at 50 so we could tell the oil company's and supplying countries who seem to have us as a Nation over a oil barrel GO TO HELL. :twisted: :shock:
Phil

Re: Would You Drive your boat @ 50 or your Car @ 60 ?

Post by Phil »

SURE NO PROBLEM, I AM NEVER IN A HURRY ANYWAY
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

I'm trying, sold my 20' boat with 250, bought a 16 with a 90, run around at 35 now used to be 75. The trucks a lot harder, I try to cruise at 60, if I keep cruise on I'm OK, if not I keep moving up to flow of traffic or worse.
Riplip

Post by Riplip »

Mileage in my Suburban is the same if I drive 55 or 85.... :shock:

In my boat I get the best economy at 4600 rpm, or about 50mph, which is the speed I drive most when conditions allow...except when I'm on the clock...then I don't care about a few extra gallons in relation to all the money and time invested into an event.
If you always do what you did, you will always get what you got!

www.californiaresrvoirlures.com
leatherneck77

Post by leatherneck77 »

I really hate to be the "voice of reason" :roll: on this one, but there are some things that we are all overlooking here. First of all, after adjusting for inflation gas prices are almost equal to what they were in the early '80's. Secondly, as far as industrialized nations go we are paying far less for a gallon of gas than anywhere else in the world. A lot of the European nations pay well over $7.00 a gallon. That being said, when most of the refineries are right here in the States why are we paying so much for a gallon of gas. Because we will pay it and not make a big stink about it. Here in California, we pay almost .30 cents a gallon in state taxes. That money is supposed to go for road improvement and the like, but we still have the worst roads in the entire country. Also, I will continue to buy gas, because it powers my toys, (truck, boat, quad) and without these work would really get on my nerves. :lol: :lol:
JR
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

The only problem I see with That Leartherneck is Most countries in Europe is 200 miles wide, here CA 700, TEX ? United States 3000.
We have to travel a lot further to just get around than they do in France or England etc. Gas cost at time of embargo about .40 cents a gallon to us and now $ 3.50 . In the late 70's we had cars getting 30 miles a gallon like we do now, trucks were just as bad then as they are now. Roads then just as crappy. And the gas is six months old when we buy it at the pump. Iam not saying to give up the toys. Just it seems like Uncle Sam is asleep while the rest of the world has got there hands in his / our pockets :roll:
Blue_R70

Post by Blue_R70 »

Guy Kelley wrote:When is it going to be enough that WE BECOME MAD AS HELL AND NOT TAKE IT ANY MORE?????

My real question is would you be willing to drive on the roads at a mandated 60 mph or on the lakes and rivers at 50 so we could tell the oil company's and supplying countries who seem to have us as a Nation over a oil barrel GO TO HELL. :twisted: :shock:
Even if gas prices continue to rise at the present rate, daily life will carry on Business As Usual (with a little bit of grumbling from us consumers). Things probably won't change much until the oil reserves get really, really, really, really low and the petroleum industry squeezes out its last profits...
Smile_n_Jax

Post by Smile_n_Jax »

I drive a 1970 Ford Ranchero that only get 10 - 12 MPG, so I try to drive conservatively. It's tempting to romp on it, but I don't. I roll into the throttle. I tow at 55 to 60. I don't fire the motor until I'm buckled up and ready to go. I consolidate errands so I'm not making trips uptown for just one thing.

I run my boat at 40 instead of 50, and I don't let it idle any more than necessary. I don't buy marina gas. I buy it here at home and haul it to my boat in 5gal containers.

I have to conserve as much as possible. A small settlement allowed me to buy my truck and boat and equip them properly. But, being retired on a small fixed income means I have to be very conservative if I want to fish as much as I want.
Jax Keilman
"I may be crazy, but it's kept me from going insane" - Waylon Jennings
'89 Stratos 269V, 90HP Yamaha. Small, but I love it.
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

GAS DROPPED 10 CENTS THIS AFTERNOON!!

Unless you guys are new to California, this happens every year. Price will be $2.50 by Labor day. Last all the gloom and doomers said "Gas to go over $5.00/gal"

What everyone needs to do is let them know you know the game. Shut refineries down for maintainence at the same time as the government mandated switch occurs to "summer blend" at perfect timming for a "driving" holiday. HELLO?? Brilliant business strategy!

BTW>>>>This should be moved to the politacal forum>>>>>
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

dave what is gas prices in california for regular? I thought it was over 3$ a gallon? the price i filled up for the last time on base yesterday morning was $3.12 a gallon and we dont pay taxes!
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

$3.47 cheapest in town (resort community) 9am this morning

$3.37 this afternoon.

Last year the price was the same and it got down to $2.25 around the 1st of the year. I thought we'd get below $2!
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.
Otay Michael

high price of gas in Europe is not so bad for them

Post by Otay Michael »

Note: The high price of gas in Europe is not so bad for them. They mosly take the trains and busses, and effecient they are too, and low priced. Here, nobody uses them much.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
basstamer

Re: high price of gas in Europe is not so bad for them

Post by basstamer »

Fishin' Dave I will make you a deal...if gas is $2.50 a gallon by Labor Day I will fill up your truck-IF NOT you fill up mine-deal? Get your wallet out!
Scott
Fishin' Dave

Re: high price of gas in Europe is not so bad for them

Post by Fishin' Dave »

I'll take the bet except I want until Halloween (just in case.) and a 3 cent waiver (if it's 2.53 or less. I do not want to lose if it is 2.51)

Winner gets his truck filled up in losers home town. So if you win, you have to come to Copperopolis to get a fill up.

Sound good?

Note, no one eles is eligable except bastamer and fishin dave. Thanks for watching; now get a job :lol:
not4un

Post by not4un »

Well thanks to our lovely gas prices I pretty much was forced to sell my boat. Living on one income it was getting very hard to pay for the gas between the truck and boat . So I am going from my 18ft ranger to a kickboat which can be transported in my car that gets alot better mileage. Other countries may pay more for gas but they also have a lot better public transportation than California does.
mod9fan

Post by mod9fan »

Heck NO! drive fast, fish slow in the spot you really want to be in, when you want to be there, before gas gets to $6.00 a gallon. You know it's going to happen, just a matter of time. So don't deprive yourself. The rich will only get richer no matter what a small number of Bass Anglers decide. Only you can decide as an individual how you want to handle it. Good Luck everyone!!!
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

Just a note on public trans:

It will not work for contractors and tradesman; work truck required for job.

It will not work in rural Central Valley.

It will not work in the foothills

It is subject to labor srtikes, terrorism, natural disasters, and rate hikes.

Note on gas savers:

Driving a Prius in the foothill and mountain counties will not work

Driving a Prius on a farm to pick up feed will not work.

Note on who pays the most when gas goes up:

Truck drivers
Blue collar workers
middle class
poor

There is plenty of oil!! Demand lower prices. Good business plans made big oil big, let;s be smarter than they are.

What is the best solution?

Cars that run on water, sun, and wind. Coming soon? No.

Will you buy gas next time you need it? yes.
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

this is really gunna fire ya up. Unleaded is 5 cents a gallon in iraq. Is it just my imagination or didnt I just get through kicken the crap out of that country.
LL
leatherneck77

Post by leatherneck77 »

I know it is hard to justify $.05 a gallon gasoline in Iraq, but then again the average annual salary there is less than $1500.00 so I guess everything is relative.
JR
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

I think I need about 7000 miles of 1" PVC. And hire a kid to pump it from the other end.
LL
gcopple

Post by gcopple »

if i am not mistaken, i just got done with a class at CSUSB that told me that over 80% of our crude oil comes from mexico not the middle east. these #'s could be skewed due to the book being 5yrs. old but i'm sure they are not far off. It was a Latino Culture class and i guess that selling oil to the U.S. is their gov'ts biggest income, even though they are currupt and pocket it all. just some food for thought.

george
leatherneck77

Post by leatherneck77 »

George is right, most of our oil comes from central and south america while less than 1% actually comes from Iraq.
JR
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

Can you say "CHAVEZ"?