Help an Out-of-Stater Prepare for Clearlake

C.

Help an Out-of-Stater Prepare for Clearlake

Post by C. »

Looks like my lodging issue is resolved, so now need some expert advice from locals on how to pare down my boat full of tackle and baits to something reasonable to bring with me.

Is there a consensus on the "must have" baits for Clearlake at the end of July? If I can get a few clues on baits, I can probably decide which of the rod locker full of rods to bring along.

From what I've read, we probably won't be fishing at 25 - 35' as we'll be doing at Lake Fork that time of year!

Thx in advance for any info. offered up!

C.
Ridge_Runner20

Re: Help an Out-of-Stater Prepare for Clearlake

Post by Ridge_Runner20 »

From what I've read, we probably won't be fishing at 25 - 35' as we'll be doing at Lake Fork that time of year!
Actually, you may well be, depending on which portion of the lake you choose to fish. I took the kids out today and we caught several nice fish including a 6 and a 5 from water as deep as 26' (had to "pop" the 5 so she could get back down). As the fish begin to settle into summertime patterns in the narrows, Rattlesnake Arm and south end of the lake, most fish should be relating to rock humps and breaks in 5'-20', but don't discount the slightly deeper bite. Look to see how deep the shad are layered; that should really key you in to how deep to fish in those areas. Deep crankbaits, dropshotting, shakey heads and jigs will be the go-to baits for most. Did I mention jigs?

The north end of the lake is an altogether different beastie, being much shallower on average and having miles and miles of tule-laden shorelines. Everything that works down south will work up north as well, just don't forget to add rattlebaits and spinnerbaits to your arsenal. Oh, and topwater... lots of topwater action to be had in many places on the lake, but the north end is always my favorite for the surface bite. Break out the Spooks, wakebaits, buzzbaits and frogs. Did I mention frogs? And lest we forget the potential flippin'/pitchin' bite! Don't forget the Brush Hogs, jigs, Senkos, etc. Did I mention Senkos?

As you may have surmised, there is not a more difficult lake on the planet to attempt to pare down your tackle. You can literally fish any which way you choose and be successful, so as you probably do on any unfamiliar lake you might fish, fish to your strengths. The more confident you are in what you're doing, the more likely you are to be prepared for that potential bite of a lifetime, which can be any bite on that pond!

Best of luck!

RR_20
basstamer

Post by basstamer »

I sent you a PM with some tidbits....I can imagine a couple other guys will too-the "regulars" that are on the lake quite often. Good Luck-we MAY see you there-too early to tell.
Scott
C.

BassTamer and Ridge_Runner

Post by C. »

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to my first visit there!

C.
Tobe

Re: BassTamer and Ridge_Runner

Post by Tobe »

Hey C.

What dates will you be at Clear Lake ?
C.

Post by C. »

I'll be there for the Rally, July 27 -29.

C.
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

If you like Jigging spoons for deep water the DUH Spoon is excellent or A Hoopkins Spoon on deep rock piles. 1 oz. to 3 oz.
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
lionkiller

Post by lionkiller »

LV500, DD22, white blade, 5" senko, jigs, Spooks, frogs.

If you've never fished here, read up on the frog bite. it's a 'blast'.

Westshore (Lakeport) shallow & weedy, docks & tules.

Weeds seemed a bit better on the Northshore (Nice, Lucerne...)

Haven't been south, due to all the frog & spook fish up here (too much fun), but I hear it's jigs & cranks down there.
It's just a beating.....till you fight back.
StockOption

Post by StockOption »

Here are some of the baits I would absolutely have on hand for mid-July:

- drop shot, split shot, c-rig, t-rig, shakey head - plastics in watermelon and purples. (In general this lake is considered a brown/purple lake).
- Jigs in brown and black with plastic trailers in the aformentioned colors.
- Spinnerbaits in white and chartrueuse with a mix of gold and silver blades.
- Lipless crankbaits and deep diving crank baits; LV 500 in American Shad, DD22 craw and shad patterns
- Topwater poppers, spooks, frogs, buzzbaits

Your favorite techniques should work fine. The lakes population of bass is extremely high right now so catching numbers should be fairly easy, catching the bigger fish will be a challenge.

The lake also seems to be divided in 1/2 right now. The north end's water clarity is a bit stained with algae while the south end is significantly clearer. I expect by mid-July the algae bloom will stain up the entire lake which should actually help the fishing especially the all day bite. Also the lake level is pretty low compared to recent years so don't just stick to fishing banks move off a bit and fish deeper.

Lastly, it can be VERY hot in July on the lake so be prepared for hot days (no humidty) and very bright sun. Plan on lots of water and lots of sunscreen.
Kurt
JimmyReese

Post by JimmyReese »

Hey C,

What ever your favorite lures and presentations that you have, bring them! It will catch fish! You might be fishing 0 foot and you may be fishing 30 ft. 1lb1/2 to 3 lb fish should be easy, the fish over 4 and 5 lbs I'll let you know next sunday! 8) The weights this weekend for the W.O.N. were sickning!!!!

CONFIDENCE! Is all you need to bring!

Jimmy
C.

Re: Thanks

Post by C. »

Thanks a bunch for all of the inputs. I'll try to come prepared!

Hmmm! I have heard a few stories from Connie and Killer about their boat rides the year they came out there. I'm sure I'll learn a bunch from all of my draw partners just as I like to think my non-boaters have learned (and enjoyed) their sessions with me at our Texas Rally.

I thought maybe Sam and Martha would be coming again, but don't see them registered. Maybe their trip to Africa (again!) is conflicting!

C.