TOP WATER QUESTION

GEORGE D.

TOP WATER QUESTION

Post by GEORGE D. »

ON YOUR SAMMIES OR SPOOKS DO YOU TIE DIRECT OR DO YOU USE A SPILT RING THANKS ALOT GEORGE
Hollywood

Re: TOP WATER QUESTION

Post by Hollywood »

i tie direct to my top waters, dont have any problems getting them to walk, just a twitch of the rod and there walking side to side.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Direct using a Rapala Knot -- About a 3" loop.

http://www.steelheader.net/knots/rapala_knot.htm
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
GEORGE D.

Post by GEORGE D. »

IS IT BETTER TO TIE A LOOP KNOT OR A KNOT THAT IS CINCED DOWN NOT SURE IF I SPELLED CINCED CORRECT THANKS AGAIN GEORGE
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Loop will give it more/correct action. Image

Also you want to use Mono line as Floro and Braid will sink.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

I guess I'm the oddball... I always use a split ring tied to braid w a palomar knot.... for me braid is the only way to go for all topwater w the exception of small poppers,, poppers just work better for me w heavy mono... With braid, I don't like messing w any other flavor of knot... just a plain palomar, it's simple, it's strong, it works

BTW braid doesn't sink it floats like a SOB
SethB

Post by SethB »

I'm pretty new to the walk the dog type baits. Early spring I was wondering the same thing I posted the same question. I got all different awnsers. After experementing on my own with some of the ideas I got from this fourm. I decided I like the snap. A med. size split ring is O.K. if tied in the gap. The Loop knot worked O.K. aswell but I realy don't trust it. Sure its fine on 2#ers. but I'd hate to lose a good fish to a failed knot. Everyone does things a little different. So do some experementing of your own to find what works for you.
Take a kid fishing
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Best answer give is SethB, gotta go with what you have confidence in. I tie direct and I don't like the loop. I want it sinced down on the eye! But that is just me. Try the many different ways and then let us know which one you like best!

Kevin
SethB wrote:I'm pretty new to the walk the dog type baits. Early spring I was wondering the same thing I posted the same question. I got all different awnsers. After experementing on my own with some of the ideas I got from this fourm. I decided I like the snap. A med. size split ring is O.K. if tied in the gap. The Loop knot worked O.K. aswell but I realy don't trust it. Sure its fine on 2#ers. but I'd hate to lose a good fish to a failed knot. Everyone does things a little different. So do some experementing of your own to find what works for you.
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Palamor on braid, tied straight to the bait. I found that when I use a split ring or a snap, when walkin' the dawg, the line when slack, tends to freely get behind the bait more often causing my line ta git tangled in the hooks more often. If yer walking it fast, it's not such an issue, but I walk that spook much slower than most, especially here and on Clearlake. Tied directly to the hook tie on he bait, the line stays out in front of the spook and tangles in the hooks less.
whoopbass95

Post by whoopbass95 »

Keep it simple (you know the K.I.S.S. rule) I always tie direct 15 pound Mustad power Plus mono line and have great success with bites and hook up ratios with no break offs. I do use a split ring on a popper if I want to walk it like a spook... And let me tell you, you catch a lot of fish behind others doing it this way. That is what I have confidence in, like what was stated before do what you have confidence in.

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple Stupid...
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Jerkbait,
Those can't work, they don't cost enough! :lol:
Actually, they look like the cheap Megabait topwaters I throw a lot. Walk great, low price, catch fish.
Lately, I haven't been able to find them, so thanks for the Sprodog tip.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Phil

Post by Phil »

I always tie direct to the spook, top water lure , with 17 lb trilene and i use a double palomar knot always. no tangles as Cooch says. only thing I do different is add maybe a oval split ring to the hooks on spooks or other baits that don't have them, this helps with hook flexability when fish is hooked. Just a little less i think for the fish to twist on.

JIGS