HITCH RECEIVER QUESTION

GEORGE D.

HITCH RECEIVER QUESTION

Post by GEORGE D. »

ANYONE KNOW HOW TO FIX A NOISE FROM THE TOW HITCH AND THE RECEIVER WHEN TOWING THE HITCH MAKES A THUMP WHEN I START TO GO FROM A COMPLETE STOP AND ALSO I HEAR SQEAKING WHEN IM DRIVING SOUNDS LIKE THEY ARE RUBBING TOGETHER THANKS ALOT GEORGE
Robert F

Re: HITCH RECEIVER QUESTION

Post by Robert F »

There should be no noises from your reciever George except possibly the trailer brakes if you have a surge type system. They are made to move. Check all and make sure the ball and pin are tight. The right size? If not replace.
SpookFreak

Post by SpookFreak »

Your drive line / transmission could be in question. How many miles are on your u joints. Recievers are usually a solid connection with
the pin and there is no room for slop.
DeltaBound

Post by DeltaBound »

No it's not the transmission. If you've been towing for a long time it wears the receiver hole and pin, they both get worn and it creates slack and clunks. There is a receiver product out there that will illiminate the clunk, I will see if I can find the product and post it here. Also, try changing the pin and see if it lightens up the noise a bit.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Also check to see that the nut at the bottom of the ball latch, the latch that holds the trailer on the ball, hasn't loosened from vibration. It should be just loose enough to let you latch to the ball.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Murph

Post by Murph »

It would also be wise to check the Brake Fluid if you are running the Surge Brakes. When low, it makes a terrible clunk, stopping and taking off.
It might be lonely at the Top, but it's a bitch, at the Bottom !
DeltaBound

Post by DeltaBound »

You could also look into one of these...
http://www.schuckhitches.com/
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Two or three .39 cent rolls of electrical tape and a hammer.......... It worked on our tent last weekend. :wink:
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
DanWarme

Post by DanWarme »

You didn't mention the trailer make but here is another thing to look at.

On my RangerTrail trailer, the tongue that activates the hydralic brakes, (ie: It slides back and forth). There is a shock absorber for lack of a better term in there to slow the pull and stop. If that goes bad, the hitch will sound like its thumping. That shock can be replaced and the probllem goes away.
DW

Host Bazz Clazz Videos

http://www.bazzclazz.com

All other things being equal, I'd rather be catchin' than fishin'
Rob Cummings

Post by Rob Cummings »

There's a good chance the squeaking is the leaf springs on your trailer, the bushings at the end of the springs can make a lot of noise.

Do you only hear it at low speed? Have someone ride in the back of your tow vehicle while you drive around the parking lot, they should be able to see where the play is for the thunk and hear where the squeak comes from.
"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." -General N. Schwarzkopf
Munsey

Post by Munsey »

Sounds like you have surge brakes
I agree with Dan
Check the shock absorber. I had this problem changed the shock absorber and that fixed the problem.

I'm thinking the squeaking noise is the leaf springs.

Mike Munson
chf8500

Post by chf8500 »

check the bolts that fasten the reciever to the frame of the truck, i have seen them back on occasion, BAD NEWS if that gets worse.
Any day on the lake is a great day
SKTR 20i

Post by SKTR 20i »

I agree on the surge brake responses. Check the fluid level and bleed your system.

John.
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Also check the receiver REAL WELL - there was a thread some time ago (can't remember if it was here) about receiver weld failures, along with several pictures of the results - not pretty.

Roger