Where To Get Started In Tournaments?

CW2 Tucker

Where To Get Started In Tournaments?

Post by CW2 Tucker »

I have been thinking of getting into tournaments. my questions is simple and broad, how do you start and where? I live near the Delta, Franks Tract area, have a boat and would definitely partner up if I could. Anyone got some advice?

Fish ON!!!
Fish with Friends.
big bass beckstrom

Re: Where To Get Started In Tournaments?

Post by big bass beckstrom »

You may want to consider joining a club that has monthly tournaments so you can get used to the idea. From there i would try the Hook Line and Sinker tournaments and future pro tour.

just my $.02

Elliott
Elliott
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.fishdelta.com
Skeeterman

Post by Skeeterman »

Californiabass has a Delta region just go onCaliforniabass.org and see their schedule.Very inexpencieve.
Guyle

Post by Guyle »

First you will need a good paying job! :twisted:
BassNCop

Post by BassNCop »

My suggestion.......stay away from tournaments! They tend to make you have less money in your pockets and lose the fun of fishing. Just my opinion and the reason I got away from them.
CW2 Tucker

Post by CW2 Tucker »

Thanks guys, I do have a job just not high paying. I will check out the web site mentioned and see what is going on. I can’t say I don’t like tournaments until I try them. I have heard lots of guys say they drain you and the fun of fishing but others live for the thrill. Thanks again, anyone else got some info?

Fish ON!!!
Fish with Friends.
hunterdave

Post by hunterdave »

Hello CW2 Tucker. I saw your question and just wanted to let you know that I wrote an article on this very subject. It will be in the November issue of the Bass Angler's Guide magazine. Please PM me and I will be glad to talk to you more about it. The November issue also has a 2008 pull out tournament calendar marked with the dates of all tournaments...big and small.

Dave
Last edited by hunterdave on Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dave Gorden
Pro-Staff Bass Angler's Guide the Magazine
Pro-Staff Reaction Strike
Pro-Staff Radical Glow
dave@bassanglersguide.com
www.bassanglersguide.com
www.reactionstrike.com
www.radicalglow.com
Jason C.

Post by Jason C. »

Dave,
As recogmended I would start off in a club. And then find another proam circut out ther. I dont know what your price range is but there are some out there for about 100a pop...Or you can go to the more expensive ones that range all the way up to 700$$(National Guard entrre for the co angler) I forgot to mention fish your first year as a co-angler you will lear a whole lott and its less of an impact on the wallet! I hope this helps!!
Winning Isn't Everything...But Wanting To IS!
Tight Lines, Jason C.
jasonconser@yahoo.com 925-727-4077
[color=orange] www.dobynsrods.com [/color]
[color=blue] www.inland-marine.com [/color]
Smile_n_Jax

Post by Smile_n_Jax »

River City Bassmasters is a fun club that runs monthly tourneys. May be what you're looking for.
Jax Keilman
"I may be crazy, but it's kept me from going insane" - Waylon Jennings
'89 Stratos 269V, 90HP Yamaha. Small, but I love it.
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

I notice your logo CW2, right off the bat I think Chief Warrant Officer, which automatically puts me in mind of military..Now there are a few(like tons) of us around, and every one of us are more than willing to jump in and support another vet..I, myself am a retired Navy Chief, I do not currently own a boat, nor do I expect to own one..I love to fish and am more than willing to pay my share of the trip..I live in San Jose so that might be a problem.But if you keep posting here, you will find others that think and fish the way you do..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
CW2 Tucker

Post by CW2 Tucker »

hunterdave wrote:Hello CW2 Tucker. I saw your question and just wanted to let you know that I wrote an article on this very subject. It will be in the November issue of the Bass Angler's Guide magazine. Please PM me and I will be glad to talk to you more about it. The November issue also has a 2008 pull out tournament calendar marked with the dates of all tournaments...big and small.

Dave
What can I say, Thanks! I will check it out and I will definitely PM you in the future. I got your PM as well, sounds like a good investment.
Fish with Friends.
CW2 Tucker

Post by CW2 Tucker »

mac (Doyle McEwen) wrote:I notice your logo CW2, right off the bat I think Chief Warrant Officer, which automatically puts me in mind of military..Now there are a few(like tons) of us around, and every one of us are more than willing to jump in and support another vet..I, myself am a retired Navy Chief, I do not currently own a boat, nor do I expect to own one..I love to fish and am more than willing to pay my share of the trip..I live in San Jose so that might be a problem.But if you keep posting here, you will find others that think and fish the way you do..

mac
Thats me, I am a Army vehicle Maintenance Chief. I work on Hummers to M1A1's. ANY VET can ride with me any day. dont worry about money, just worry about the fish! It is great to hear that the support is out there for all of us.

Fish ON!!!
Fish with Friends.
Jeff Jewell

Post by Jeff Jewell »

CW

If you are just starting out, the club route is an idea. There is a club in Fairfield, It's called the Fairfield- Suisun Bass Reapers, they have members who post here if your interested. You could also go the Pro-Am route, or the semi pro route. Check out Angler's Choice, 100% bass and the Future Pro tour, to see what schedule you like.
I'm in Suisun if you need someone to fun fish with, or show you around, just send me an e-mail.
When in Doubt " Set the Hook"
Rick K of Ca

A GOOD Started In Tournaments

Post by Rick K of Ca »

You may want to take a look at Ca Bass Federation. They fish all over the state and is a low cost way to start out ($75). You can fish in one region or all over the state. It is a pro on pro so you can fish as a boater or none boater. Meet good people and have fun at the same time. http://www.californiabass.org/index.html

Rick K of Ca
eagle123777

Post by eagle123777 »

being a retired AF Senior, i will jump on mac's and cw2 tuckers thread and say anytime i am goin and a vet wants to fill the backseat its theirs...will post when the backseat is open....jack
CW2 Tucker

Re: A GOOD Started In Tournaments

Post by CW2 Tucker »

You guys are great! I have gotten more information in one day than I did in one month on another site. To bad I didn’t switch over 6 months ago! Guess that’s what I get for Sniffing around!

I am definitely a hands on type of learner, thanks for the info and offers to show me around. Now I just need to get off my butt and do it. Not to say I won’t take more info from you guys on this. Never can get enough!

Fish ON!!!
Fish with Friends.
Blue_R70

Post by Blue_R70 »

CW2 Tucker wrote:You guys are great! I have gotten more information in one day than I did in one month on another site. To bad I didn’t switch over 6 months ago! Guess that’s what I get for Sniffing around!
Ha ha...I was sniffing around that other site and read your "farewell" post, which was promptly deleted the next morning! I've noticed a lot of defectors from that board migrating over here lately...
CW2 Tucker

Post by CW2 Tucker »

Blue_R70 wrote:
CW2 Tucker wrote:You guys are great! I have gotten more information in one day than I did in one month on another site. To bad I didn’t switch over 6 months ago! Guess that’s what I get for Sniffing around!
Ha ha...I was sniffing around that other site and read your "farewell" post, which was promptly deleted the next morning! I've noticed a lot of defectors from that board migrating over here lately...
I didnt even get a chance to see if anyone replyed? Oh well moving on to better things!
Fish with Friends.
jack morris

Post by jack morris »

You could try Stockton Bass, all events are in the delta. Jack
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

I recommend joining a local club and or begin in one of the future pro or rookie trails. The Future Pro Trail puts on a great event with lot's of giveaways and seminars by top pros in the area before each event...a great way to get a jump start on bass fishing as well tournament fishing. I think entry is $80.

Good luck to you

Hitman
Hitman

Fish Hard Films
Robchik

Post by Robchik »

pends on where you are as an angler and what you're looking for. I would highly recommend a club. They are a great way to meet new people and get a taste of tournament fishing. You learn plenty about fishing and more importantly fishing etiquette. You can also find a club to suit your needs, schedule wise. Many travel all over and I bet there are a few delta only clubs too. Then possibly consider entering as a co-angler in an Angler's Choice or WON Bass Pro-Am. You will learn a lot there as well and both circuits go to the Delta. Then move on from there to whatever you are comfortable fishing.
http://www.robchik.com
Slippy

Post by Slippy »

I have more fun fishing with my club then the bigger tourneys.
LL
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

We the Modesto AmBassAdors are currently looking for new members (Boaters and Non-Boaters). Our season starts in December and we will be fishing the Delta (3 times), Hogan, Don Pedro, McClure, Commanche, Clear Lake (2 times), Amador, and Eastman. If you have any questions shoot me a line at kelster1574@aol.com
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.
fishfan

Post by fishfan »

You could also give www.100percentbass.com a try! Click the WRL link! My partner and I tried them this year! It was fun and will be fishing with them again next year!

Jeff
I now know why it is called fishing and not catching!
The Sweetest Rods Ever !!! DOBYNS RODS
Team LL
Blue_R70

Post by Blue_R70 »

Robchik wrote:I would highly recommend a club. They are a great way to meet new people and get a taste of tournament fishing. You learn plenty about fishing and more importantly fishing etiquette.
Ditto. The monthly club meeting + tournament is a great environment to meet new people, take in the nuances of fishing in larger groups (along with being under a time constraint) and learning accepted fishing etiquette. Plus, clubs offer a slightly less formal atmosphere (but that depends on the club, of course)...
CW2 Tucker

Post by CW2 Tucker »

Um, WOW! I had no idea there were so many clubs and smaller tournaments. It is kind of overwhelming on which one to choose. I think for the wallet I need to start with a club and stay near the Delta to get my feet wet. Etiquette was brought up, I think understanding the rules of tournaments and what is ok to and not ok to do has been one of my fears about doing this. I am by no means a rude fisherman (well except to the jet skis) but I have been known to tell someone to back off if they’re being rude. This might be asking too much but if someone is in the Travis AFB area in a nice established club I would like to talk to you on the phone or even meet some members for lunch or something. Typing is one thing talking and seeing is another. If that’s out of bounds someone let me know. Thank you everyone for all of your great help and info!

Fish ON!!!
Fish with Friends.
JWittmayer

Post by JWittmayer »

If you want to start on the Delta, try Delta Bass Club. We only fish the Delta, once a month, twelve months a year. We have our meetings in Brentwood the last Thursday of every month. We run most of our tournaments out of Russo's on Bethel Island. Our tournament fee is very cheap, but we are very competitive. Great group of guys. Check us out:

http://www.deltabassclub.com
Buzzbait

Post by Buzzbait »

Are there any clubs in Paradise or Oroville?

Can anyone tell me what a club does? Or, rather, why one might want to joing a club. Do they do outings as a group? I have no idea, but I'm thinking of joining one just to learn more form experienced people, if I can find a local one.
[img]http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/16813/7d/www.walmart.com/i/catalog/modules/G0040/walmart_logo2.gif[/img]
CW2 Tucker

Post by CW2 Tucker »

JWittmayer wrote:If you want to start on the Delta, try Delta Bass Club. We only fish the Delta, once a month, twelve months a year. We have our meetings in Brentwood the last Thursday of every month. We run most of our tournaments out of Russo's on Bethel Island. Our tournament fee is very cheap, but we are very competitive. Great group of guys. Check us out:

http://www.deltabassclub.com
I will try to make it out for your next meeting, you guys are a way out there from me. your site is real nice, looks like a great club. thanks for the invite!

I want to try 100% Bass but I need a partner, I posted my info up (correct I hope) in the find a partner link (John from Travis AFB). I have a boat and will ride shotgun as well if you have a boat. If we meet up we can start fishing together now, see how we do as a team! Thanks again to everyone, hope to hear from someone.

Fish ON!!!
Fish with Friends.
Hitman

Re: CW2 - there's a club in Fairfield

Post by Hitman »

I just noticed you're in Fairfield. There's a local club - Fairfield/Suisun Bass Repears - that you can join. email me if you're interested and I can get you in touch with one of the club members for more info.

I also live in Fairfield so I can help you with some fishing around the delta or other local lakes.

Later

Hitman
Hitman

Fish Hard Films