Broken rods...

DougH

Broken rods...

Post by DougH »

This has been a lousy two weeks for me. I have broken 4 rods worth ~ $500.

Granted I don't use Loomis rods, but I broke 2 crucials spinning rods, a rogue spinning rod that was only a week old ! and an old berkley autograph finesse topwater rod that I just loved.

I'm guessing that I stepped on the two that lost the tips, I slammed the finesse topwater rod into the trolling motor on a nice Havasu smallie, and the other crucial I snapped off a foot and a half while setting on a dropshot fish with 6 lb floro. I'm thinking that one had a crack from somewhere else.

WAAAAAA :cry: :cry:
Doug Hanson
96 white/green Skeeter 200 EFI
"Quagga Killa"
2000 Dodge Cummins "enhanced"
Elkhorn camper
** Clean and Dry **
Schneider Fishing

Re: Broken rods...

Post by Schneider Fishing »

Bummer. Sorry to hear that. If they had been loomis it would have been $1,000 worth of rods and $200 to replace. Now it that a good thing or a bad thing. Take them to your best and favorite tackle store and see if they can o anything for you. Good Luck.
Robert Schneider
My wife is my real sponsor

www.PhenixBaits.com
DougH

Post by DougH »

I retipped two of em, but the other two lost over a foot.
I'm sending the crucial to shimano, but expecting them to tell me that microscopic examination detected a ding that I inflicted upon the rod...so, tuff luck !!
Doug Hanson
"Quagga Killa"
Elkhorn camper
** Clean and Dry **
Rob Cummings

Post by Rob Cummings »

Quit sittin on 'em pal...oh wait...that would be "lost" rods.

hahahhahahahaaa... :lol:
"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." -General N. Schwarzkopf
bassrockstar

Post by bassrockstar »

The Crucial will get replaced no questions asked from Shimano guranteed.
Bill Brown Jr.

Post by Bill Brown Jr. »

Hey Doug,

I feel your pain, I have broken (2) GLXs, (1) DSR, and (1) Crucial in the past two months. I was able to get them all replaced just for the cost of shipping.

Loomis is going to start thinking I might be trying to replace my old inventory.

The worst part is it takes two weeks to get the new rod back, but it beats paying retail to replace.

Best of Luck.
God Bless
[b]"Clean and Dry"[/b]
[url=http://www.eastcountybassmasters.com][b][color=red]East County Bassmasters[/color][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/billbrownfishing][color=black][b][u]Bill Brown Fishing[/u][/b][/color][/url]
www.focas.com
Caveman

Post by Caveman »

I've gone through three myself recently. Broke a tip off while stringing it up, broke another casting a spinnerbait, and recently snapped one in half on the hookset of a 3 pounder. Thank goodness for the UFC Tackle Shop! :D I picked up a BPS Bionic Blade and a XPS Extreme. Both on sale and both tremendous rods.
Fished the Extreme for the first time today. Simply amazing! After landing half a dozen Largemouth and Spotties with it, I let my buddy try it. Long story short, he just ordered one for himself (a Loomis devotee). As, for the Bionic Blade, I wrote a review of it here if you are interested.
Caveman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Image Image
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

C'mon boys and girls - sing with me:

Plug, plug, plug, plug, PLUG, Plug, plug, plug.... dah dah dee, dah dah doh.

We're all in FINE voice this morning!!! :lol:

EDIT: Just double-checked, and don't see this as one of the board's sponsors... may want to look into buying some advertising here???
Pred

Post by Pred »

how much is it for a little ad?
Caveman

Post by Caveman »

tunaman wrote:C'mon boys and girls - sing with me:

Just stating my opinion. I really love these rods! They're great values and they happen to be on sale right now.
Didn't mean to sound like a salesman. Sorry if it came accross like that.
I'll tell you one thing, though. It's hard to not constantly pull the trigger on gear when you put your own tackle shop togther. I've constantly got GAS (Gear Aquisition Syndrome)! :wink:
Caveman
Image Image
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Caveman wrote:
tunaman wrote:C'mon boys and girls - sing with me:

Just stating my opinion. I really love these rods! They're great values and they happen to be on sale right now.
Didn't mean to sound like a salesman. Sorry if it came accross like that.
I'll tell you one thing, though. It's hard to not constantly pull the trigger on gear when you put your own tackle shop togther. I've constantly got GAS (Gear Aquisition Syndrome)! :wink:
No worries... I have no stake in the site, aside from being one of the nutcases. I had my tongue firmly planted in my cheek when I wrote it, but it certainly did look like a blatant plug opportunity! :lol: I can certainly relate to the whole GAS concept though!

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?

Post by Guest »

I think this is a great topic...

Broken rods and eye's on rods. We take $100 - $400 rods and put them in 1 inch HARD plastic tubes in our rod lockers. Then we run across water with 1, 2, 3 to 6 foot waves that can jar our fillings from our teeth... yet we never think of what that can do to our rods bouncing around in those HARD rod tubes. Then a rod or two breaks or 10 rods lose their eyes...

I my opinion we are in need of a new rod storage system in our boats. I personally yanked my rod storage system out of my rod locker and used the Berserk Baits rod sleeves with re-inforced tips. These keep my rods separated from each other and my rods are banging up and down in those 1 inch tubes.. Instead they only bang on the bottom of my rod locker and on each other... but, that's got to be better than those stinkin' tubes!
Caveman

Post by Caveman »

tunaman wrote:No worries... I have no stake in the site, aside from being one of the nutcases. I had my tongue firmly planted in my cheek when I wrote it, but it certainly did look like a blatant plug opportunity! :lol: I can certainly relate to the whole GAS concept though!

Roger
Hey Roger,
Looking back at it now, it does seem a bit pitchy. I'll try better next time. :oops:
BTW, I just checked out your MySpace page. We are eerily similar. Same age. Both mostly fishing for Black Bass after coming from a SW background. Living in CA. Golf. Music (guitar, though). Led Zep. Etc.
Coincidence or supernatural? :wink:
Caveman
Image Image
DougH

Post by DougH »

Roger[/quote]
Hey Roger,
Looking back at it now, it does seem a bit pitchy. I'll try better next time. :oops:
BTW, I just checked out your MySpace page. We are eerily similar. Same age. Both mostly fishing for Black Bass after coming from a SW background. Living in CA. Golf. Music (guitar, though). Led Zep. Etc.
Coincidence or supernatural? :wink:[/quote]

Looks like we need to start the Western Bass Band. I play some mean drums, and the led zep/van halen/zz/ufo is my era.

Then we go golfing...

I think that there is a LOT of dudes on this site that are of the same cut
Doug Hanson
"Quagga Killa"
Elkhorn camper
** Clean and Dry **
DougH

Post by DougH »

TomLeogrande wrote:I think this is a great topic...

Broken rods and eye's on rods. We take $100 - $400 rods and put them in 1 inch HARD plastic tubes in our rod lockers. Then we run across water with 1, 2, 3 to 6 foot waves that can jar our fillings from our teeth... yet we never think of what that can do to our rods bouncing around in those HARD rod tubes. Then a rod or two breaks or 10 rods lose their eyes...

I my opinion we are in need of a new rod storage system in our boats. I personally yanked my rod storage system out of my rod locker and used the Berserk Baits rod sleeves with re-inforced tips. These keep my rods separated from each other and my rods are banging up and down in those 1 inch tubes.. Instead they only bang on the bottom of my rod locker and on each other... but, that's got to be better than those stinkin' tubes!
Interesting thought Tom, perhaps someone will soon invent the "soft" rod storage sytem... I see money written all over that one.

Anyways, I've got my rod all packeage up to send to shimano on Monday, we'll see if they replace, or blame it on me.. :shock:

Shout out to Tackle Warehouse !! They were able to pull my rod receipt out of their system and email it to me in all of 2 minutes so I could have the receipt to send to Shimano.

Nice work JEFF !!!
Doug Hanson
"Quagga Killa"
Elkhorn camper
** Clean and Dry **
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Caveman wrote:
tunaman wrote:No worries... I have no stake in the site, aside from being one of the nutcases. I had my tongue firmly planted in my cheek when I wrote it, but it certainly did look like a blatant plug opportunity! :lol: I can certainly relate to the whole GAS concept though!

Roger
Hey Roger,
I prefer to think supernatural! :lol:

I knew I liked you for at least ONE reason!!! Are you down here in the south, closer to the central state, or up north? We may have to get a WB jam/sticks/turkey shoot together some time? Sounds like fun!!! As Doug said, I'm sure there are several here who have similar passions and commonalities.

Roger
Tight lines forever!

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

DougH wrote:Roger
Hey Roger,
Looks like we need to start the Western Bass Band. I play some mean drums, and the led zep/van halen/zz/ufo is my era.

Then we go golfing...

Love the idea Doug... we need to get 'er done. This would be very cool! 8)

Roger
Tight lines forever!

Caveman

Post by Caveman »

Roger,
I knew I liked you for at least ONE reason!!!
I hear that a lot! :wink:
Are you down here in the south, closer to the central state, or up north?
I'm in Westchester. Near LAX.
We may have to get a WB jam/sticks/turkey shoot together some time?
I'm in! Sounds like a blast!!
Hey, if you ever need a backseater for a tourney, let me know. I'm looking to get some Bass Tournament experience.
Caveman
Image Image
Caveman

Post by Caveman »

Doug,

Then we go golfing...

Sounds like the perfect day to me ... especially if we can squeeze some fishing in, too! 8)
Caveman
Image Image
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Caveman wrote:
Hey, if you ever need a backseater for a tourney, let me know. I'm looking to get some Bass Tournament experience.
You and me both!!! :lol: I fished mostly as a boater last season, which was my first, and really wasn't ready. I'm looking to do more backseating myself this season to learn, so I'm doing the WON Pro/Ams and Region 7 tournaments, for the most part. I'll probably do some of the 100% Bass tournaments again, as it's a great trail and the TDs are most excellent.

You should look into the Region 7 events yourself... great chance to backseat and learn! This TD's not bad either :shock: :o :D (Rae El is TD for this trail, and by all accounts did a GREAT job last year).

Roger
Tight lines forever!

Caveman

Post by Caveman »

You and me both!!! I fished mostly as a boater last season, which was my first, and really wasn't ready. I'm looking to do more backseating myself this season to learn, so I'm doing the WON Pro/Ams and Region 7 tournaments, for the most part. I'll probably do some of the 100% Bass tournaments again, as it's a great trail and the TDs are most excellent.

You should look into the Region 7 events yourself... great chance to backseat and learn! This TD's not bad either (Rae El is TD for this trail, and by all accounts did a GREAT job last year).

Roger
Thanks for the info, Roger. If you do "boat" a tourney, keep me in mind.
I'll bring the sandwiches! :wink:
Caveman
Image Image
nscharfe

Post by nscharfe »

DougH wrote: Anyways, I've got my rod all packeage up to send to shimano on Monday, we'll see if they replace, or blame it on me.. :shock:

Shout out to Tackle Warehouse !! They were able to pull my rod receipt out of their system and email it to me in all of 2 minutes so I could have the receipt to send to Shimano.

Nice work JEFF !!!
Shimano has a no questions asked replacement policy on their rods. Ive probably exchanged 20+ rods and have never had to pay a cent (not even for shipping). No need for a receipt and it doesnt matter if its your fault. Rest assured, it will be replaced.

--nate