Mike

What happend to Extreeme Angler??

Post by Mike »

is it closed??
DeltaDan

Re: What happend to Extreeme Angler??

Post by DeltaDan »

Yes- So very sadly it is........

I always tried my hardest to support both local shops -- Both are two par 5's, a Par four and a chip shot away from me in either direction. I have never ordered anything on-line outside of duck hunting equipment or reloading supplies because I always know that either The Hook or Extream could order it for me and sell it to me for near the same price -- if not cheaper. (shipping cost included)

I LOVE Mah Bro PhillyCheeseSteak and greatly miss him and Brah Roberto !! Brother Kerry and Da Crew to no end in greatly miss listening in on them all as well-- and I am so thankfull beyond words of everything they all have done for my family, others and I.

Extream was like the barbershop of fishing -- but even more. It will be very sadly missed by many others as well as I and felt of sadness for alot of our Delta Bassin' and Huntin' Community.

Some people are waiting at the hip with great anticipation for BPS to open in Manteca and some have already made the voyage to Cabela's in Reno.

Myself personally- I will almost always support our local tackle shops that serve US !! And our LOCAL Bassing/Fishing/Hunting/Sporting Community and Clubs alike knowing the proceceded are going directly to their families food on the table ....... Not a chain store (I just picked up both son's today 9' 8wt. flyrods from Sports Chalet -- the cheap sinner I am.... These are entry level rods that they can play with and learn from)

It tears me to no end in not being able to talk openly with Mah Brah PhillyCheeseSteak -- and all Da Crew.

I will always recieve a very warm Welcome, excelent Brotherhood, First hand tip's on how the Delta is fishing currently, and always a handshake from Gene, Rob, Jason and the rest of the Hook Staff that no big company could ever service !!

I hinted today at The Hook if the Revo Preimere was in ....... I have a feeling it may be in soon. :wink:

Brother Philly has some plans in da oven........ I am so hoping that the Yeast will rise again in him again serving all of us soon !!

Thanks for everything to all of the ExtreamAnglers/Extream Outdoorsman owners for in serving us the best you could- You have enriched many through your sacrafice and you will be very sorely missed.

Always,
Dan

PS---- Vince.... I called and left a message- If any one of your rod racks are still available for sale- I would like to see if I can purchase one off of you for Luke and Jacks rods. -- Please PM me if they possibly are still available.

Cheers Image
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

its so sad that they closed ... I had no idea. I used to work there when Gary Estes owned it and shoped in there the entire time I was stationed in California. I was thinking about calling them for some powell rods soon too :(
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing
Dom

Re: Its Sad

Post by Dom »

All the smaller bait shops are closing up I just went by Daves Bass Shack and its closed also. I guess no matter how much we all like to support the guys we like everyone must be spending thier money elsewhere. Its really getting hard for the little man to compete with big business and times are just getting more exspensive so we are all looking for deals BPS,E-bay,Walmart, etc...

Thats three just this year I know about, I know alot of the products have a MSRP and believe it or not those item dont offer many points,(mark-up) Its the little stuff most guys take for granted that makes the profit.

I got lucky and found a supplier that allows me to sell Lowrance, Minn Kota, Garmin pretty much any electronic for the car,boat,etc...

I will be strictly online so the overhead will be low and everything will drop ship. Not banking on it just a side gig. Well see how it goes. Hope to launch in 08.
Tight Lines Dom
fishon662

Post by fishon662 »

What happened with all the product in the store fishing and hunting also maybe a rod rack would be nice
Jeff Huth

Dom, I agree,sorta........(long)

Post by Jeff Huth »

'll agree with you on a couple of points, yes it it sad to see some small shops closing up recently, and it is hard to compete with chain stores and huge on line companies, but independant single store ,local shops like the one I work for, have always had this problem, it's not a new situation. As far as your statement that "times are getting more exspensive so we are all looking for deals BPS, E-Bay,Walmart etc.." I have to disagree. Most smaller tackle shops like ours and alot of others, if you compare prices across the board, we are not anymore exspensive then the discount stores you mentioned we just make less profit..Now sure we are higher than them on certain products, but if you check you'll see we are actually lower on others, plus we have products that you can't get at the on-line/discount stores. The big thing your missing is the fact that all small shops have thier core group of customers that are not there buying product with price as their number one concern, they are there buying our number one product SERVICE.You mention the fact that alot of product has MSRP, as far as I know all product has MSRP, and if I could get just 20% of our product to sell at MSRP, I would be happier than hell !,it's hard enough to get MAP pricing on most product. If anything is causing to make it tougher on the small shops I would point the finger at the manufacturers first.Manufacture support of the little guy is getting worse and worse. To give you just one example, you mentioned the fact that you have a supplier that will allow you to sell Lowrance Electronics on-line, beleive or not there was a time that Lowrance would ONLY allow their product to be sold through authorized dealers, with storefronts,that were tested annually as far as product knowledge on their product, with no exceptions.Thats why you could only buy their Eagle line through the boxstores and on-line, they wanted to have Lowrance sold, installed and displayed by trained staff.Yes times are changing, but as long as small shops are fortunate enough, and work hard enough to keep their core group of customers, we will continue on, granted it will be tough, but it always is.Remember those same guys that are buying on line, and through the box stores and chain stores, believe it or not ,at times they have to take it to their local stores to find out how to use it, install it, etc,etc ,and when was the last time the on-line store put line on your reel or installed your graph ? Donated to your bass club, threw a barbeque to thank it's customers, I could go on and on and on..........Best of luck in your new venture, and a few words of advise if I may,service creates loyalty, throw in a huge chunk of honesty, and NEVER forget the value of your customers, and you to can be as broke as most of us independent tackle shops !! :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

DeltaDan wrote:....Myself personally- I will almost always support our local tackle shops that serve US !! Image
Ya me to. After George at Tackle It saw my rod rebuild, he called me and offered further help. I know Bob at Limit Out would too. Can't find that at the big stores. Both these stores support our local Bass Club heavily too. I will buy from the big guns too, but only if I can't find it locally.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Gary Dobyns

Re: Dom, I agree,sorta.......

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Customer service is the key for smaller shops. They can and will go the extra mile. Do you think BPS would work on your spinning reel? That was being done in a shop last week. The "pro shops" can and will order anything for you and have it in a couple of days, or less. The "pro shops" tend to stock the "hot" baits, and usually have them a year before the big box stores. There is a need for both, but the local shop guys know the fishing info, whats hot, and where it's hot. I was in John Walton's shop a month or so back, if he just got paid for fishing advice, he'd be rich. He was marking maps and giving details, big box fronts cannot do this. Denise at Coyote ask me, was she missing anything in swimbaits. NO, she had everything. Where would she put it anyway? That shop is awesome. Glen at Mel Cottons, what a great guy. He would do anything for his customers. If BPS, put a store across from Limit Out, they would go broke. Tell me someone who drives by Bob and Dorthey's shop. Customer service, having the right products, and knowing your customers is something very special that simply cannot be replaced with a catalog. Stop by and see Gene at the Hook. That Jeff guy at Valley Rod and Gun, he ain't half bad either. Next time by there, go ask for "Little Jeff". :D :D
kb

Post by kb »

Gary I have a commercial on the radio show that says "near every great bass lake there is a great tackle store". That commercial is for the Bait Barn in Waterford but could be for any of the stores you mentioned above. How many times have you seen Bob at Limit Out deliver a brown bag to a partner pairing to many of us? How many times has Gene bailed someone out with trolling motor problems on game day? Phil has gone out of his way at Shasta to make sure the events are still at Shasta.

Because these small shops are business owners in their communities they are very active in making sure the circuits are coming back to those areas and have all the necessary help to put on great events.

Yes there is a place for all stores and it seems like wherever there is one good shop someone tries to copy it......innovation and immitation.....we all know who wins this one every time.

Support all of our local tackle shops guys and gals they are the pulse of the bass world as we know it. Not sure where these great stores are take a look at the top of this page and you will see several.

kb
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

Gary nailed it on the head. I know we are all trying to save a few bucks to the next new toy but........Fishing would not be the same if our local shops were not around. These shops attract a certain culture we love, "A FISHING CULTURE", and for us not to have our favorite local shop to BS, share tips, and give advise...OR EVEN HIDE FROM THE WIVES....NO WAY!!!

I love it when my wifes ask me what i did on my day off, especially if she didn't let me go fishing. it gives me the chance to use my no# 1 excuse, I was helping out Uncle Jonah, it got busy!!!

saLTIE-
Mike

Post by Mike »

[quote="Gary Dobyns"]Customer service is the key for smaller shops. [/quote]

I agree, thats why the shop that is still Open in Oakley is still there. With all of the online tackle orders and ebay, I dont think Oakley is big enough to support two shops, and the service that Gene, Michele and staff give is unmatched in this area.
mac (Doyle McEwen)

You would think

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

With the number of fishermen/women daily going on the Delta, there would be plenty of customers for several small type tackle shops..Truth be know there probably is, however those that have established good customer bases will continue to flourish while those trying to break in might falter..Customer service from a smaller type business is the prime reason for most successes or failures in the case of a lack thereof..I buy almost 100% of my tackle from these type shops, a very small percentage is from individual sellers on this and other web sites..I cannot remember the last time I bought anything from one of the large retailers like BPS..Rarely do I walk out of one of the local shops spending less than $20 and most often it is several times that amount..I know that I have never walked into and out of the Hook without spending some money..Gene always seems to have something I need or something I want..My problem is I don't get to shop there as often as I would like, on second thought, maybe that is a good thing..For my pocketbook anyway..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
912nitro

Post by 912nitro »

Gwene bailed me out a few times , when i was in a tournament & my TM broke... 1 time he was in the same tournament & stopped fishing so i could have my TM for the duration of the day.....
Another time i was having battery / wiring problems & took my boat there.. he found & fixed the problem, even tho it made him late for an appointment.... then wouldnt let me PAY HIM..... i made him take $ 40.00 anyway...... had to lay it on the counter & walk away for him to take it......
Wise men STILL seek Him....
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

When I worked at Extreme Angler, there wasn't much we weren't willing to do for a customer. If we had it or could get it we would do it. We marked stuff down as much as we could and stuff we couldnt mark down IE rods and reels we would haggle with a rep for hours about and eventually get an authorized markdown or sale period on the items. Anyone came in wanting to know where to take thier kid to fish for bluegills or a tournament guy wanting to know what to look for on the river would get details. I for one never hid any information about what I learned any time I went on the river or lakes. I know that after I left and joined the Coast Guard I came back and Gary had a kid a lot like me working there that did the same and after he sold it off there were more of them. Now I cant speak for how it was the last year I was gone except the one time I went in while on leave for the holidays but it was the same as I remembered it.
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing