Fagan's in Oakley

Dewayne

Fagan's in Oakley

Post by Dewayne »

There was a rumor earlier this year that Fagan's had closed down. We ate there last week, the food was as good as ever and the service was fantastic. They are opening the Black Bear Diner next year and are selling Fagan's, but it will remain open and not change.

PS - The Cajan Chicken Pasta is incredible.
Dewayne
Guy Kelley

Re: Fagan's in Oakley

Post by Guy Kelley »

haven't tried it, but always looking for someplace new. have you been to "shutters" off of sunset road . white table cloth, and average of $18.00 for dinner entire. salad at $6.00. Little pricey but understand it to be good. :shock:
Dewayne

Re: Guy

Post by Dewayne »

We tried Shutters once. It was too pricey and the food was not that good. There was lots of people there so they must have something going for them, but we were not impressed. Fagan's and Cap's are much better IMHO.
Dewayne
gt5bass

Post by gt5bass »

Dewayne wrote:They are opening the Black Bear Diner next year
Prepare to put some weight on as they sure know how to serve some good helpings of good food! 8)

I sure wish we had a Black Bear Diner down here Ventura County way :evil:
[i][color=green]It is what it is[/color] :|[/i]
Jason P

Post by Jason P »

We ate at Caps about two weeks ago, It was ok, but way over priced. Where is Fagan's located, I just moved out here trying to learn where things are.

Jason
Gator

Post by Gator »

Jason - Fagans is in the shopping center directly across from the entrance to Big Break. Just be forewarned if you go there for breakfast, do not order a FULL order of Biscuits/Gravy unless you are ready to EAT!!!
Guy Kelley

Jason P

Post by Guy Kelley »

If ya want very good Mexican food try Jaliscos in Brentwood, across street from Brentwood Mufflers on Brentwood Blvd/Hiwy 4.

IMO. They have the most authentic Mexican food in the area and nothing more than $11.00 for dinner. Never more than a 10 min wait.

Cap's can be good and sometimes not so good, depends on chef.
Sat night not so good, mid week better, figure that one out?

If ya want a breakfast that will make ya waddle around for the day try Brentwood Cafe on Brentwood Blvd/Hiwy4 on right side of street just as ya get into town. Food home cooked, and very reasonable, dinners very good too. Closed on Monday.
Gimpy

Post by Gimpy »

So is Fagan's like the Bridgehead Cafe or the Buzz Inn?
Both of which make an excellent biscuits and gravy as well
Any old seven pounder will make my day better...
Cooch

Re:

Post by Cooch »

Guy Kelley wrote:IMO. They have the most authentic Mexican food in the area and nothing more than $11.00 for dinner. Never more than a 10 min wait.
Having lived in Oakley/Brentwood fer over 25 years, and having made 2-4 trips a year to Mexico(which is where I just happen to be at this moment! LOL) there is only ONE, authentic Mexican joint in the area, La Costa(both in Oakley & Brentwood), bar none! All the rest are American vesions of Mexican food!

Mike and Vicky have been working on the Black Bear deal fer quite some time now. The building at the City center is getting closer every day. I´m looking forward to his new adventure. We´ve known the Fagans for many years, and Mike has a great talent fer creating succesful and great places ta eat.
Mike

Re:

Post by Mike »

Cant wait for the Black Bear to open. The first time I ever ate at one was at Shasta (Redding) it was great food! We ended up eating there every night we were there. Anyone know the opening date?
Terry Smith

Re:

Post by Terry Smith »

Cooch wrote:having made 2-4 trips a year to Mexico(which is where I just happen to be at this moment! LOL) .
HAR!!!!!!YOU SUCK!!!!!!!COOCHIE just kidding KNOCK'EM DEAD DOWN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Wish we were with you!!!! Oh by the way your out of Corona's in the fridge :wink: I'll make sure it's stocked back up before you get home :P

Terry
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
Guy Kelley

Sorry Cochie

Post by Guy Kelley »

but last two times I ate at La Costa in Brentwood, both the wife and I had the runs for a couple a days. true they do know how to make a soft taco though. We had the chilie verde, I think it was the beef they used.??

Injoy your south of the border trip and catch a dd. :shock: :lol:

Terry;

VARRRRRRRRROOOOOMMMMMM..."Corona"....WHOOP>>>WHOOOP............................................""""POW""""".............HAHAHAHAH :lol: :lol: :lol:
DeltaDan

Re:

Post by DeltaDan »

Enjoyed Breakfast at Fagans last summer- Ordered the Ham/Eggs/HB's and I just could not eat it all !!

Took the wife/boys about 2 months ago cause dinner got ruined somehow. It was way to pricy for us and we headed to Max's Old House.

The ONLY thing I do not like about our Oakly La Costa -- They do not have Carnitas !! :evil: When they had the La Costa in Baypoint -- I would make a special trip there every nightshift ! -- They also have a La Costa in Tracy (if it is still open) by the gun shop and DMV.

Went into Jaliscos for the first and last time last month....... Place did not do it for us at all. We should of went to El Camino that night !! El Galitos on the South side of Brentwwod has been a staple for 30+ years of Traditional Messicano food.

But the take out food from Los Charos is the TOP NOTCH !! The Carnitas, their Tammales (right now they are having their Christmas Chile Verde Tammales that are NOT to be missed !! Sopas, Tacos, ect... It is located next to Alidino's pizza/Rite Aid.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
912nitro

Post by 912nitro »

Fagans sold to a husband & wife team a few weeks ago.
Still has the same chef, until Mike opens the Black Bear.
No firm date yet, but Black Bear is scheduled for mid Jan. according to Shawn, who is Mikes stepson.
Wife & i eat there at least once a month for their Prime Rib.
Already its not the same as it was before they bought it.
Different kind of bread, smaller salads, & other things....& closed on Mondays.
I heard some of the employees in the other businesses located in that shopping center have already complained & told the new owners they werent going to patronize there anymomre.
TO bad......... i have been going there since about day 2 .
As far as i'm concerned, they had the BEST prime rib in the local area.
BTW...... i already told Mike i was getting the first order for prime rib on opening day for the Black Bear........ even if i had to take a day of vacation from work.... MMMMMMUUUUUMMMMMM Good.
Wise men STILL seek Him....
Hipster

Re: I will not normally get into Food discussions

Post by Hipster »

when it is what you do for a living!!! Every body knows it all and it is like trying to Tell the doctor how to fix your aliment.

Anyway "Chili Verde" is made with Pork not Beef
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
Jason P

Post by Jason P »

Jalisco's was not it for me either, you can never go wrong with La Costa, for the resturant, I like La Fuente, I got spoiled like in the bay area with great food, its very hard to come by out here though, but I wouldn't trade it for the world living next to the delta.

Also for steak lovers they are building a Vic Stuwarts off of the bypass & balfour. I just sold some stuff to the dirt movers for that job.

Jason P
Guy Kelley

Re: I will not normally get into Food discussions

Post by Guy Kelley »

Sorry yer right it was pork. :oops:

as to were to eat or who has the best, it is sort of like asking

What came first "The Chicken or the Egg" :)

to each there own! :wink: