chevy steering problems

Share vehicle info.
mjr

chevy steering problems

Post by mjr »

i own a quad cab chevy pickup 05' and have had issues with the steering wheel knocking. every time i make a turn(mostly slow speed) i can feel some knocking inside the steering wheel, kinda sounds like something is loose. i have had it fixed before but it keeps coming back. i know of 4 other people who have the same type of problem. has anybody else experienced this? seems like it would be a recall issue.
gt5bass

Re: chevy steering problems

Post by gt5bass »

I just went through what seems like the same probem and had to have the steering shaft replaced. '05 Avalanche with just over 80K miles. Service writer says he has had to replace his twice and he has less miles than I do :?
[i][color=green]It is what it is[/color] :|[/i]
CharlieS.

Post by CharlieS. »

If its the same noise my 05Duramax makes...the dealer needs to re-pack the column . They used to replace the assembly I have been told. I have known of several making the noise ,and some have been replaced ,and a few have had the repacking (lubed ?) . My 04 Avalanche did it , 04 GMC Denalli didnt ,Duramax does..Go figure..I agree that it should have been on a recall status ,but as of yet-nope. Charlie
XMAN

Post by XMAN »

take the time to call to call the national transportation safety board to lodge your complaint--i did, one of 33, and it helped get fords recall on 99-03 cps problem going--the head guy called me back and interviewed me, 6 mos later the recalls a done deal---xman
mjr

Post by mjr »

i will look into to that xman. it looks like it is not just a few vehicles here and there with the problem. i will let you guys know what i find out. hopefully general motors does not put a hit out on me.
Scott Hamman

Post by Scott Hamman »

Chevy has a service bulletin on most chevy trucks for replacement of the Intermediate Steering Shaft. I have an 03 that would knock and click (I would hear it and feel it through the steering wheel) when I made long turns, like on ramps to free ways and in parking lots.

I took it to the dealer and complained, by the end of the day it was replaced, Really no questions asked. They also replaced my tailgate cables (Recall on those) at the same time.

Hope this helps and good luck
Scott
Scott Hamman

Post by Scott Hamman »

Chevy has a service bulletin on most chevy trucks for replacement of the Intermediate Steering Shaft. I have an 03 that would knock and click (I would hear it and feel it through the steering wheel) when I made long turns, like on ramps to free ways and in parking lots.

I took it to the dealer and complained, by the end of the day it was replaced, Really no questions asked. They also replaced my tailgate cables (Recall on those) at the same time.

Hope this helps and good luck
Scott
Byron

Post by Byron »

We have changed quite a few of the shafts at my shop. The original TSB was to inspect and lube the shaft but the latest TSB is for replacement. If you are still under warranty - no charge but if you are out it's out of your pocket.