CULLING STRAPS.......

Alex M.

CULLING STRAPS.......

Post by Alex M. »

I've got the X-Tools culling straps, and the plastic clips usually come off of the fishes mouths in the the livewell. I've seen some of the guys in the elite series with the same straps, but with big metal safety pin type deals(like the ones on trout stringers) instead of the plastic clips. So I converted mine as well. Should the metal be passed through the gills, out the mouth, and then clipped shut(same way you would pass the hook end of a digital hand scale through a fishes gills)? It seemed as if the people I saw using them were punching new holes in the fishes jaw/mouth? Did they sharpen the ends, because mine are dull? Which is the proper way to put the culling strap on? Any input would be appreciated.
"In times of rapid change experience can be your biggest handicap"
Smitty

Re: CULLING STRAPS.......

Post by Smitty »

A couple of ways. I like to go thru the gill plate on smaller fish (it doesnt make another hole) or on the lower lip making another whole (small). You can definitely sharpen them with a dremel tool easily. Gator posted a modification to the x tools straps about a year ago or so if my memory serves me correctly. I know he makes alot of posts but you can search them to find it. Keep in mind instead of lifting the fish by the strap, use the strap to get it;s mouth to the surface of the well then lip him. If you wd-40 the clips they will open easily with one hand.
Smitty
g-man

Post by g-man »

I personally don't like poking holes in bass. have you seen some of those bass in and around Franks, they are messed up. i use the clips that don't poke holes, and just clip the lip. I forgot who they were made by, but they rarely come off. Its just a clip with a thin plastic cord on it, I try to see if I can find them and post a pick.
100% LL
Phil

Post by Phil »

THINK I HAVE THREE SETS LEFT WITH SCALES. THEY RUN ABOUT $ 40.00 IF I REMEMBER...............
Team Fugowee

Post by Team Fugowee »

I use a Cull Um Rite scale. I sharpened the hook on it. I poke it thru just behind the lower lip. This way you use the same hole you used to weigh the fish. I am the weigh master for my local club and was also for the WON Bass Team circuit in our area for a few years. What I saw was if the clip was thru the gills you got fish with ripped gills. If the hole was made away from the lip the clip ripped that hole to the lip.

Catch, measure, weigh, tag, fizz and then leave them alone in your aerated live well.
I don't know enough, to leave well enough alone.
Trace

Post by Trace »

I have been using the berkeley clips in front of the metal clip and it works great on the smaller fish that need to be culled.
Trace
berserkbaits

Post by berserkbaits »

The ones you are referring to are made by Bag-Em Products. I have a set and they definitely do less damage to the fish. The do come off once in a while. Do not lift the fish by the strap. Just follow the strap down to the mouth of the fish and lip them like normal. Here's the link:http://www.bag-em.com/
www.berserkbaits.com
Jeff Jewell

Post by Jeff Jewell »

I use the Bag-em clips as well, no problems
When in Doubt " Set the Hook"
Jason Milligan

Post by Jason Milligan »

The X tools clips will work. If you make sure the smaller of the halves of the clip are on the outside, under the jaw, the clips will hold. Smaller side on the outside under the jaw.
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

I use Bag-Em clips also, the only problem I've had is the streamer sometimes pulls out of the clip
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"