Which Fluorocarbon?

BassManDan

Which Fluorocarbon?

Post by BassManDan »

Never have really been a fan of the 'carbon, but I figure it would be nice to have on my "light" jig rod I just built. Of course by light, I mean 20 lb, as opposed to the usual 25 and 30. Usually fishing the weedy waters and since its carbon, I can certainly hit the clearer water if need be.

I know that the seguar has a pretty good following, but it is a bit pricey for my tastes. The new Berkley 100%, I have heard good things.

Any input would be appreciated.

BassManDan
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
B Becker

Re: Which Fluorocarbon?

Post by B Becker »

for the money, you can not go wrong with Bass Pro's XPS Fluoro.....that is all KVD uses and he throws the heavy stuff too....I'm not a fluoro fan either, but that is what I use if I have to (big stuff)....Maxima makes a great fluoro, but it is a bit pricier than BPS.....
Brent Becker

Sponsors:
www.brentbeckerfishing.com
www.skeeterboats.com
www.basspro.com
www.bassaholics.com
www.maxima-lines.com
RipnRog

Post by RipnRog »

I have been using the Yo-Zuri Hybrid with great success. it is not that expensive as it is about 12 bucks for a 600 yard spool. I have used all of them and loved seaguar but for now and for the price the yo-zuri hybrid can not be beat.....

:wink:
bruizer343

Post by bruizer343 »

RipnRog wrote:I have been using the Yo-Zuri Hybrid with great success. it is not that expensive as it is about 12 bucks for a 600 yard spool. I have used all of them and loved seaguar but for now and for the price the yo-zuri hybrid can not be beat.....

JUNK.

Trilene "new" flouro or GAMMA on game day.
RipnRog

Post by RipnRog »

I cant afford either of these brands.... gamma is over 20 bucks for less than 200 yards.... and the trilene is real close to that price....
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

I have Gene or Rob at The Hook re-spool my reels with Seaguar in #20 for most -- and #15 on the rip/crank rods. WAY cheaper than buying indivigual spools as he loads them off off a Bulk roll and passes the savings onto the customers.

My Jig Rod -- I am using Sunline Shooter ... It is very pricey -- but well worth it for Jigs -- and this rod/reel is only used for pitching Jigs. I need to buy some KVD Line Conditioner to keep it worth it's investment as BrothA StockOption swears by it.

My one Dropsot rod ... Sunline FC Snipper in #10 on the Revo Premire. ~~ Pitching it is really smooth........

The ONLY rod/reel I have Mono on is the Senko set-up ..... And after 14 months ~ #12 PLine CXX .......and .... I STILL HAVE NOT CAUGHT A FISH ON A SENKO !! :evil:
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
bruizer343

Post by bruizer343 »

RipnRog wrote:I cant afford either of these brands.... gamma is over 20 bucks for less than 200 yards.... and the trilene is real close to that price....

game day line, brother. I feel ya on line cost's. Its a joke what they sell it for......a joke.

maybe we should buy some bulk to share.....$$$ the pain.
RipnRog

Post by RipnRog »

Yes I need to get some bulk stuff but the initial investment is where it hurts...... I am telling you this yo-zuri is good stuff seaguar and yo zuri are the same company if I am not mistaken and the line has not failed me once.... the p-line failed me to many time and I wouldnt use it if someone paid me because I dont trust it. Try some one day bruizer it is good stuff. :wink:
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

100% flouro go with Trilene flourocarbon. Or go with p-line flouro-clear (not 100% flouro) coated co-poly and it just works well for me. Bill K :)
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
Senkler

Post by Senkler »

I'm a big Yo-Zuri Hybrid user also, and will have to say its definately one of the best lines for the buck.

Great sensitivity, knot strength. I've never had any issues and have landed my fair share on it.

If money isn't a issue Seaguar's always a good bet.
DL

Post by DL »

Dan, spool that senko rod with 10 or 12 lb seaguar and hang on. Seaguar is sensitive enough you can feel the "tick" on slack line. I rig my senko's wacky on a 3/0 gammi finesse wide gap...exposed in open water and with a mono weed guard in the trees and weeds. Throw it out, let it sink to the bottom. Move it once or twice and repeat...most times they will hit it on the fall. I use it down here in the south and on the right day I can wear 'em out. But it is productive any time the fish will eat a senko type bait.
"Feel the steel"
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

The Yozuri Hybrid is a copolymer. It's fluorocarbon coated nylon I believe. In my experience it's great line for the money. I know a number of guys that use it and swear by it-now I know a few more. I never heard a complaint about it, until I read this thread. I just started using the stuff and so far no complaints.

I use the Cabela's brand pure floro. In my opinion it's the best bang for the buck. It may not be the best line compared Sunline, but it works plenty good for me. I can pull a 21' boat around with 6lb.

I'd love to try the Sunline. In the long run it may be a better buy. I've heard it lasts quite a bit, YEARS...but that was from guys that are sponsored by them :D .
I had to come back...I know...
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Sunline is awesome stuff (and I am not sponsored by them). I use Seaguar Invizx from 6-20lb and sunline shooter in 22-25 for flipping and it does last forever (well almost)
Smitty
Quantum_Kid

Post by Quantum_Kid »

Take a look at Tackle Tour's "Flourocarbon Showdown"
Part 1:
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbontest.html
Part 2:
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2.html

Hope this helps!

Scott
~Scott Trummer~
AKA Tom's Netboy

www.quantumfishing.com
www.sufix.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.menditglue.com
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

I'm a big fan of Yamamoto's Sugoi, yeah it's prolly the most expensive fluoro on the market, but ya know the old Cliche, ya git what ya pay for. I spool nothing but the 20-25# for jigs when pitching and flippen.

I also have become very fond of the new Pure Fishing lines, in both the Stren and Trilene 100% Fluoros. Excellent Fluorocarbon line, moderately priced and available just about everywhere ya go. I carry this on the boat for clients, when it's time ta take off what they are currently using, in an effort to introduce them to a good quality fluoro.

The really cool thing about these two is they both come in clear, AND, the Stren comes in a blue tint and the Trilene in a green tinted option. The two tinted options are really nice in that on them foggy, over cast, rainy, low light condition days, it makes the line much easier to see versus when using the clear. The Trilene comes in 15, 20 & 25 pound tests, where as the Stren has 17, 20 & 25 pound tests. I have the 15 & 17 spooled on a variety of reels being used for applications like Senkos, Texas rigs, crankin, blades, Carolina rigs and the 4-6" plastic swimbaits. It does come in lighter tests too, I just don't see a need to use anything less than 15.

I have been a fan of Fluorocarbon lines for almost, if not more than, 10 years now. It has made me a much better fisherman today!
Last edited by Cooch on Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Conlow Sr.

Dan I will have to take you Senko fishing

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

DeltaDan wrote:I have Gene or Rob at The Hook re-spool my reels with Seaguar in #20 for most -- and #15 on the rip/crank rods. WAY cheaper than buying indivigual spools as he loads them off off a Bulk roll and passes the savings onto the customers.

My Jig Rod -- I am using Sunline Shooter ... It is very pricey -- but well worth it for Jigs -- and this rod/reel is only used for pitching Jigs. I need to buy some KVD Line Conditioner to keep it worth it's investment as BrothA StockOption swears by it.

My one Dropsot rod ... Sunline FC Snipper in #10 on the Revo Premire. ~~ Pitching it is really smooth........

The ONLY rod/reel I have Mono on is the Senko set-up ..... And after 14 months ~ #12 PLine CXX .......and .... I STILL HAVE NOT CAUGHT A FISH ON A SENKO !! :evil:
[i][b]Ride With a [size=200]Legend[/size][/b][/i]
www.legendmarine.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.inland-marine.com
[img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/150x50/legend.jpg[/img]
Jim Conlow Sr.

Cooch I took your advice

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

Cooch I took your afvice on fluorcarbon the first time you gave it on here close to 10 years ago and have never regreted having done so. Fish Chris and I arived at the same conclusion about braid and Fluro independantly but he simply reinforced what you had advised and the method that he was using.

I am not the great fisherman that either of you are but the sound advice that both of you have given over the years has helped me immensly
Last edited by Jim Conlow Sr. on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
[i][b]Ride With a [size=200]Legend[/size][/b][/i]
www.legendmarine.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.inland-marine.com
[img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/150x50/legend.jpg[/img]
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Im using Triple fish Flouro. its priced well and will surprise many of you...I use it mostly on my D/S set up...this is what working for me
ERICK PRADO...Peace
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

MIKE TREMONT wrote:The Yozuri Hybrid is a copolymer. It's fluorocarbon coated nylon I believe. In my experience it's great line for the money.
Yup, Hybrid is often thought to be a fluorocarbon line but it's actually a nylon/copolymer that just has fluorocarbon bonded(?) to its surface. Great line though!
skandy

Post by skandy »

I've been using the Seaguar Invisix line in 6 and 8 lb test on spinning reels and for everything from drop shottin to shakey heads and never had a problem. It holds up well, very little memory and it lasts a long time. I think with most fluorocarbon lines, you don't have to replace it as often as mono so the extra cost is worth it. I also use a braided line as a backer line on the reels and tie one 10-20 feet of fluoro, this way I'm not wasting a lot of expensive line I'll never use. Try 10-12 lb braid under 6 or 8 lb flouro. This really increases the sensitivity when fishing deep. Good luck.
Slippy

Post by Slippy »

RipnRog wrote:I have been using the Yo-Zuri Hybrid with great success. it is not that expensive as it is about 12 bucks for a 600 yard spool. I have used all of them and loved seaguar but for now and for the price the yo-zuri hybrid can not be beat.....

i second that Rog.
LL
Joe W.

Post by Joe W. »

bruizer343 wrote:

JUNK.
Why is it junk?
g-man

Post by g-man »

P-Line Fluorocarbon!
100% LL
Jason C.

Post by Jason C. »

Some stuff you might want to try out. Sunline Shooter...its pricey but its very good stuff from what I hear. Also the new Trilene 100% Flouro is VERY good. I have used this personally. Also I belive Stren now has 100% flouro. I saw some down at the hook last month before I went up to Shasta. Also there is another brand and again from what I hear its pretty good stuff. Plus its VERY cheap is triple fish. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/catpage-LNETRIPFISH.html . Tackl Warehouse is just about the only place that I know of that carries it. My suggestion, try it out. If ya dont like it your only loseing like 7$
Winning Isn't Everything...But Wanting To IS!
Tight Lines, Jason C.
jasonconser@yahoo.com 925-727-4077
[color=orange] www.dobynsrods.com [/color]
[color=blue] www.inland-marine.com [/color]
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

I haven't tried the Shooter yet, but the Sunline Sniper is great..I have a couple of spools of the Stren Flouro and will be trying it soon..There are lots of great to fantastic lines on the market..You just have to find the one that suits your needs and your pocket..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
jsoregon

Post by jsoregon »

Shooter is by far the best. Mainly for casting rods.
Super FC Sniper is great for spinning. The 5lb and 6lb are incredible.

P Line 100% Fluoro is probably my 2nd favorite. The new Berkley 100% and BPS Fluoro are both good but do not have the same strength. If you go into Bass Pro Shops and grab the 6lb line in each of these and do a straight line pull you can see what I'm talking about. The P Line is the hardest to break. If Sniper was in there...it would be very hard to brake.

Yo-z. Hybrid...sucks in my opinion. #1 its not fluorocarbon. #2 the 4lb line is the same size a 8lb Sniper. Check it out and you'll see what I'm talking about...
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

Thanks all for weighin in on this topic.
I'm pretty much P-Line exclusive, but I had heard that it was not too great, but it seems I heard wrong. I guess I should have figured, since I ran some break tests on my 25lb CX and 30 lb CXX and had breaks in the main line at 30+ and 40+ respectively, no reason the carbon ought not to do the same.

For those of you who are Seaguar and Sunline guys, well, maybe in the future, if I become a discerning Fluorocarbon expert.

As for the Y-Zuri folks, yeah, P-line makes a better copolymer, sorry :wink:

BassManDan
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
drew

Post by drew »

P-line Halo. I bet the 20# will equal the 25# CX in strength. It is the strongest line I have experienced.
BassManDan wrote:Thanks all for weighin in on this topic.
I'm pretty much P-Line exclusive, but I had heard that it was not too great, but it seems I heard wrong. I guess I should have figured, since I ran some break tests on my 25lb CX and 30 lb CXX and had breaks in the main line at 30+ and 40+ respectively, no reason the carbon ought not to do the same.

For those of you who are Seaguar and Sunline guys, well, maybe in the future, if I become a discerning Fluorocarbon expert.

As for the Y-Zuri folks, yeah, P-line makes a better copolymer, sorry :wink:

BassManDan
Cody Meyer

Post by Cody Meyer »

The new Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon is my choice. It cast great along with being super strong.