Best sonar up front??

biteme

Best sonar up front??

Post by biteme »

Looking for the best for the cash. Ideas??
optichamp

Re: Best sonar up front??

Post by optichamp »

I went with a Lowrance 522 on the front of my 96 Champion. It previously had just a Lowrance flasher on the dash, and a Garmin 160 at the bow. I use it with a trolling motor transducer. I really don't have space on the dash for a graph, and don't like the idea of cutting new holes for a side mount beside the dash.

The 522 has an internal GPS antenna, so you don't need a separate hockey puck, which is one less thing to trip over. Two, you can set it up for custom gauges. If you select large gauges you can see the GPS speed(or other readouts) from the driver's seat. I obviously don't get sonar with the trolling motor up, but the flasher in the dash still works fine, and that's acceptable for driving on the big motor.

As far as the other attributes, the color display is excellent on the 522, easily readable in bright sun, and so far I've found it pretty easy to install and operate.
"The wine was bad, but not dull. It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth."

-Ernest Hemmingway, A Farewell to Arms
MIKE VAN WAGNER

Post by MIKE VAN WAGNER »

Hard to beat the X-135 Lowrance for the front of the boat. It all depends on if you want color and GPS or just a good sonar unit for the bow.

Mike
Capitol City Marine
916-729-0590
GITBIT

Post by GITBIT »

I'll put in another vote for the X-135 Lowrance. Probably your best ratio of performance vs. price.

Mike
I know you are but what am I?
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

3rd en on the 135 Lowrance, far more capable unit than what i can manage, before i had a 75 and the difference is like comparing the space shuttle to sputnik.
Yeah ? It's Me Again, SO WHAT!!!!!
biteme

Post by biteme »

Thanks guys. 135 it is.
kopper_bass

HOLD ON......!!!

Post by kopper_bass »

BiteMe,
Before you buy, consider this.
I had the 135 up front, and its by far the best value and best grayscale fishfinder there is. I highly recommend it!

BUT............ if you are going to spend 400 bucks for the X135 (Cabelas X135 sonar with Temp $399.99) and can fit that onto your front deck, then i would now recommend that you just go and buy the color LMS 520C w/out the GPS antenna for just a few bucks more (Cabelas LMS 520C w/transducer only $449.99).

I did just that last week and used it at shasta all this weekend. Its just as awesome as the 135, but with all the advantages of color too. They both are the exact same size and use the exact same transducers.

The cost is only 50 bucks more, yet the advantages are greatly better with the new color screens. It's well worth it and you later have the option to add the antenna and get GPS if you want it. You can use the unit just as fishfinder, without the GPS, and it is fine.

Take a look and upgrade to the color.

Good luck,

Kopper_Bass

ps - if you still want the X135 and are looking for a deal, mine will be available for sale :D
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
biteme

Re: HOLD ON......!!!

Post by biteme »

Thanks for your reply. What about this fishmark??
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true
Seems like a good price.
kopper_bass

HOLD ON......!!!

Post by kopper_bass »

BiteMe,
Before you buy, consider this.
I had the 135 up front, and its by far the best value and best grayscale fishfinder there is. I highly recommend it!

BUT............ if you are going to spend 400 bucks for the X135 (Cabelas X135 sonar with Temp $399.99) and can fit that onto your front deck, then i would now recommend that you just go and buy the color LMS 520C w/out the GPS antenna for just a few bucks more (Cabelas LMS 520C w/transducer only $449.99).

I did just that last week and used it at shasta all this weekend. Its just as awesome as the 135, but with all the advantages of color too. They both are the exact same size and use the exact same transducers.

The cost is only 50 bucks more, yet the advantages are greatly better with the new color screens. It's well worth it and you later have the option to add the antenna and get GPS if you want it. You can use the unit just as fishfinder, without the GPS, and it is fine.

Take a look and upgrade to the color.

Good luck,

Kopper_Bass

ps - if you still want the X135 and are looking for a deal, mine will be available for sale :D
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

biteme,
no offense to the Eagle brand, but its really is a low cost version of the Lowrance. Being low cost, means that performance is lower too. The biggest issue is the processor on the Eagle is less, and the pixle count on the LCD is 1/3 less. that pixel count is truly what will give you the detail and definition you want.

Think of it this way, do you want to see a big square block to identify a fish or an Arch? You can't get real definition of arches with a 320 x 240 LCD, you want the 480 x 480 on the LMS 520C. Its the same LCD as the X135; thats why i stongly recommend both of those.

If you want the best, stick with Lowrance brand. You get what you pay for - and you won't be dissapointed! :D

Kopper_Bass
biteme

Post by biteme »

Ok cool I just didnt the brand. Cost is pretty close.
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

I second the 520 up front. And the deal from Cabela's is just too good to pass up. You get color, the ability to upgrade to GPS later, and a card slot to add maps or record sonar data for just $50 more than the 135. After using color, I'd have a hard time going back to greyscale. You can just tell so much more about the bottom with color.

NoCAL
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

I went the same route as Joe on my bow. You can't beat the deal cabelas has on that unit. When I have the funds or a good sale comes along, I will add the 520 with gps on the console and link them. Even if you don't, it is a great sonar unit.

I replaced my old pinpoint and the color is a big improvement.

Scott
Scott L

Re: HOLD ON......!!!*NM*

Post by Scott L »

*NM*
Last edited by Scott L on Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
biteme

Post by biteme »

Thanks guys went with the 520
cbwiii

Post by cbwiii »

What is the difference between the 520 and the 510?

Can I hook the 520 to the LCX-28HD network and see my my GPS data up front, for less money than the 510?
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

cbwiii,
the 520C is a fishfinder/GPS combo unit. The 510C is only a fishfinder.

You can network both to your LCX-28HD. The 520 will use the antenna and receive GPS, show each sonar, and share waypoints. The 510 will only share waypoints and show sonar.

The 520 is still the better unit for the pricing.

Thanks,

Kopper_Bass
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

That's exactly what I have done. Hooked the 520 into the network and I use the GPS puck from the console 28HD. It works great and was a simple install with all the parts included when I bought both units.

NoCAL
cbwiii

Post by cbwiii »

Thanks!!! I was about to get the 510 but, Just ordered the 520.