Clean and Dry...How clean is clean?

Sacto John

Clean and Dry...How clean is clean?

Post by Sacto John »

I want to do some pre-fishing up at Lake Comanche, but I am worried that my dirty old boat will not pass inspection. My boat is old (1977) and I have never cared about its appearance, as it is a function of fashion thing for me. As a result I have a scum line on the hull form many Delta trips and my splash well is full of sludge from spilled oil, dirt and who knows what.

So, how clean is clean? What areas will they be looking at? any suggestions on how best to clean my boat?
SABP

Re: Clean and Dry...How clean is clean?

Post by SABP »

For the hull:

Start with a boat wash and scrub the heck out of it. Get as much off as you can,

Then get a heavy rubbing compound and a buffer or by hand and just start rubbing that along the build up. It will take it off. If it is too tough get some 1200, 1000, and 800 grit sand paper and start working on it until you can get it off. Start with the 800, then the 1000 and then the 1200. Then the rubbing compound and finally a finishing compound. Just always be aware that a gelcoat os only so thick. Just take enough off to get the junk off.

For the inside. Shop vac everything first. Get as much crud out as you can. For the cakes on stuff you can use a heavy duty degreaser and spray it over everything. Let is sit for and hour and then respray it again. wait ten minutes and start wiping with big rags. It will take alot off.

For the next step respray everything with simple green. Let it soak for an hour. Then respray and after ten minutes wipe it all down again. This will get the majority of it off.

For guys with new boats of after you get yours clean. Throw a bar of biodegradable soap into the bilge and it will keep the whole thing clean for 6 months.

Always fully drain your bilge and livewells on the ramp as your pulling out at the end of the day. Never let water set in the boat if you can help it.
Bill kizer

Post by Bill kizer »

SABP wrote:For the hull:

Start with a boat wash and scrub the heck out of it. Get as much off as you can,

Then get a heavy rubbing compound and a buffer or by hand and just start rubbing that along the build up. It will take it off. If it is too tough get some 1200, 1000, and 800 grit sand paper and start working on it until you can get it off. Start with the 800, then the 1000 and then the 1200. Then the rubbing compound and finally a finishing compound. Just always be aware that a gelcoat os only so thick. Just take enough off to get the junk off.

For the inside. Shop vac everything first. Get as much crud out as you can. For the cakes on stuff you can use a heavy duty degreaser and spray it over everything. Let is sit for and hour and then respray it again. wait ten minutes and start wiping with big rags. It will take alot off.

For the next step respray everything with simple green. Let it soak for an hour. Then respray and after ten minutes wipe it all down again. This will get the majority of it off.

For guys with new boats of after you get yours clean. Throw a bar of biodegradable soap into the bilge and it will keep the whole thing clean for 6 months.

Always fully drain your bilge and livewells on the ramp as your pulling out at the end of the day. Never let water set in the boat if you can help it.
I really hope what you are saying is an April fools joke. The scary part is, is that really what they expect?
Just call me Tule bender
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

John,

Vinegar and water on that scum line around the hull or a good round with the orbital and a compound. For the bilge - I use simple green as Damon suggested. Fill up the bilge with simple green and water let it set for an hour and come back and scrub it. About once every three months after a trip back from the lack I will pour some simple green in my bilge and let it slosh around back there with water, open up the plug at home and she is nice and shiny :lol:

Vinegar and water for the livewells too, make sure if anything that the livewell and bilge is dry and clean of any debris. After you go through it once its as simple as placing a couple of terri cloth towles in the livewell at the end of day, replacing them when you get home and removing the debris.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

Just paint it Brown like the old beast back in the day.....thats way back, and they won't be able to tell where the scum line is............ :D
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

Lugnut wrote:Just paint it Brown like the old beast back in the day.....thats way back, and they won't be able to tell where the scum line is............ :D
Thats an idea. The Beast was OD green though, not brown. :lol: