Spook help

Riplip

Spook help

Post by Riplip »

I am planning to try tossing spooks on braid this season...a few questions: What type of connection will allow the best bait motion...split ring or tie direct? If direct, which knot? Should I stiffen the line with superglue?

I have always used 17-20lb mono for spooks, but I have been told braid is a good application for most power topwater fishing. I switched to braid for buzzbaits and love it, but I wonder how it will affect spook hookup and action...any feedback?
If you always do what you did, you will always get what you got!

www.californiaresrvoirlures.com
Sacto John

Re: Spook help

Post by Sacto John »

I resisted using braid for ever but it is great on top water baits epically waking baits like a spook. One thing I have learned which has helped my hookup ratio is to use a rod with a very soft/fast tip. I actually prefer a glass rod for this application but last year I used my Powell 734 with good results. I found that with a typical graphite rod and the no stretch qualities of the braid I was pulling the hooks away from the fish too soon. As for a knot I use the Berkley Braid knot and tie directly to the bait. I used 30 pound braid last year on most of the lakes but I think I am going to step up to 50 this year just because it will make picking our back lashes easier.
Riplip

Post by Riplip »

Thanks John...I use a custom spook rod with a real soft tip so I won't pull it away from 'em. I would bet it might be eaiser to walk 'em at long distance with braid as well?
If you always do what you did, you will always get what you got!

www.californiaresrvoirlures.com
StockOption

Post by StockOption »

Definitely use a split ring. Much better action with a splt ring....

I also upgrade the hooks on my spooks.

Although I haven't tried it Mikes post about super-gluing your braid sounded real interesting. My only concern is if it makes the braid a bit more brittle....

And braid floats so it works well for just about all topwater applications...
Kurt
drrakruz

Post by drrakruz »

Direct tie; Palomar knot; Spiderwire Braid 40lb test. Upgrade both hooks to #2 Gama trebles, upgrade split-rings. If throwing super spooks, remove middle hook altogether and upgrade rear hook to #1 Gama treble. Make sure you get the BRONZE hooks, NOT the silver ones. Bronze hooks are twice as sharp!!!