Anyone ever change out the steering on their boat?

Sacto John

Anyone ever change out the steering on their boat?

Post by Sacto John »

I broke my steering cable on my boat and have bought a new steering kit (not just the cable), I just have a few questions.

1) Do I need a puller to remove my old steering wheel?

2) are there any other special tools I should have on hand to make my job easier?

3) The instructions say I should be able to compleste the job in less than an hour, is this correct?

4) any other pointers?

Thanks
Steve Eheler

Re: Anyone ever change out the steering on their boat?

Post by Steve Eheler »

I have a ranger 374, I had to pull my motor do to the angle and length of the double pull cable system, the angle of the cable coming from the gunnell, was to great and I had to pick up the motor and turn it, to the rigth. Once the cables were in place I place the motor back onto the transom. someone else put in the top two bolts, I would not try this anymore I'm to old and the motor weighs a supposed 500 pounds? I have to do mine again I plan ona chain hoisting the motor off myself then it's pretty easy, the rack under the steering wheel was pretty easy and came right off for me. no puller was necessary. just a note remember which holes the bolts came out of or you will have to play set-up all over with your boat. Steve
ironmanlu377

Re: Anyone ever change out the steering on their boat?

Post by ironmanlu377 »

yes you will need a puller for the steering wheel. and what i did was jack up the back of the trailer and trim the motor way down in order to get the cables out of the tilt tube. other than that the only thing i suggest is pulling out the old ones with a couple of strings or small ropes so that you can pull the new ones in(i had the wife guide in the new while i pulled through the string)
Wishin I was Fishin
BASS REAPERS