Berryessa Resorts closures

Quasi

Berryessa Resorts closures

Post by Quasi »

I just read in Western Outdoor News that 4 resorts(Monticello, Spanish Flats, Berryessa Marina, and Putah Creek Resort) have been told to shut down immediately. I hope this doesn't mean fishing will be closed soon. What an impact this will affect all the local buisnesses.

Glenn
rico

Re: Berryessa Resorts closures

Post by rico »

What is the reason the resorts are closing?
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Local businesses suffering, the resorts are the local bisiness..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Steve Ericksen

Post by Steve Ericksen »

Is it a temporary close because of the fire that's going on?
www.PatTillmanFoundation.com
Quasi

Post by Quasi »

Concession contracts expire 2008/2009. New contracts with a megagroup.
L Dub

Post by L Dub »

Spoke with someone at Rancho last week. Their campsites are closed already and i think the whole resort is out on June 1. :( I feel bad for Lucy.

Staying at Spanish flats next weekend. Not sure when they're supposed to be closed.

According to the guy at Rancho, there's a megagroup that's coming in from AZ.

Feel bad for all the owners, but hopefully this will bring better facilities (not that we needed them).
backlash

Post by backlash »

I hadn't heard of a "megagroup" I thought these closures were just part of their leases running out; I think they have had them for forty years now. They fought it as long as they could but government body finally won out. I'd be surprised if they were going to let others come in and "build" but perhaps.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I dont feel bad for any of them. They abused their conract and gouged the public every chance they got. Adios!
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

I agree Steve.

Spanish Flats was the worst.
ironmanlu377

Post by ironmanlu377 »

I found this and thought you might like to watch

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/storysection ... id=6018677[/url]
Obi-Hub

Post by Obi-Hub »

BMX Bassin

Post by BMX Bassin »

I know people who have been kicked out. I know a few that are still there. Basically some enviromental groups and federal government wants to improve the lake. Their vision is a Lake Havasu of Norcal. I am not sure if thats what the actual people of California want. The people that I know that had places up there cared about the Lake. The people who came for the weekend or a day, didnt. The "MegaCompany" is a couple big wigs that own Resorts on Havasu and the Colorado river. Only time will tell which is better. I am just afraid your gonna have to be a millionare to go there.
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Steve wrote:I dont feel bad for any of them. They abused their conract and gouged the public every chance they got. Adios!
Yup, charging $20+ to launch is total gouging...
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

Well you know there is a free launch ramp at Capell Cove. Those that feel they were being gouged, you had a choice. Don't get me wrong, the costs were high, but I don't think there was anybody getting rich up there.
There were a lot of mistakes made on both sides. The Feds let a lot of stuff slide for many years, then they decide they want it all cleaned up in a short period of time, or else. Did anyone notice, that's when the prices started going through the roof?
The Feds plan is going just how they planned. Now they can say we gave you every opportunity, but you failed. Now we will take over, under the guise of some mega corp.
It will be interesting to see what happens. Only time will tell, and so much time will pass, only a few will remember what really happened.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Actually Mike, sometimes we didnt have a choice. You have to vacate Cappell Cove at by 10 pm. So what did we do when we wanted to night fish? I inquired and was told by the resorts that I would have to pay for 2 days of fees even thought I would only be fishing for 8 hours. Even if I launched at 11 pm and pulled out at 3 pm they wanted two days of fees.

I do feel very bad for the people that got caught in the middle of the mess.
basshunter4u

Post by basshunter4u »

Originally the resorts were built and trailers were allowed in for weekend camping and summer fun. I almost bought a trailer 10 years ago because it was a great thing. But the people started staying year round using the facilities all the time and this was not the intent. Over time the sewage became a problem because of the over use and some of the camps were not taken care of and there were spills. Then the lease ran out. BLM Bureau of land Management, ( Property Owner ) stepped in and said everybody out and we are going to monitor the lake as a day use only payable by day rather than the month. They ordered all personal owned trailers off the property by June 1st this year. After the trailers are gone and everything is cleaned up some portable campsites will be built to accommodate the day use people. I don't see many tournaments out of Berryessa in the future but you never know, heck with more spots to camp in this may make it easier and better for the bass tournaments because you can stay at a campsite while you fish. This info was spoken to me buy a friend who had a place for the last 25 years at the main Marina who just paid to have his trailer crushed after he emptied it out. I have mixed emotions about the whole thing but what you to do? Hope something good will come about it and we can keep going to Berryessa and fish while our familys do the recreation thing

Don O
never give up, be possitive and patient, and you will be rewarded
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

basshunter4u wrote: I don't see many tournaments out of Berryessa in the future but you never know, heck with more spots to camp in this may make it easier and better for the bass tournaments because you can stay at a campsite while you fish.

Don O
With the way BOR has increased fees to hold tournaments of ANY size on this lake I think, restricting fish along the Island keeping tournaments and Bass Boats off the lake is exactly what the BOR has in mind. They have been more then frustrating in terms of getting precise answers in terms of fees.

How is one appointed to the BOR?
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

The thing about Capell was expect to be ripped off by the trailer trash or pay the high gate fees at the other ramps. I personally would like to see such a beautiful place improved upon. With the population growth all around I have always thought that berryessa was a potential gold mine. just my 6 bits
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Smile_n_Jax

Post by Smile_n_Jax »

I don't think it's right for the govt to just kick these people out. After all, they let it happen, but that's old news now.

And they want to turn it into the recreational boating Mecca of Northern California. OH GREAT! Give it time and it'll become another Folsom. If we're still allowed to launch there, just be prepared to do a lot of cove fishing. :x
Jax Keilman
"I may be crazy, but it's kept me from going insane" - Waylon Jennings
'89 Stratos 269V, 90HP Yamaha. Small, but I love it.