budget swim bait gear

barse41

budget swim bait gear

Post by barse41 »

what are some good swimbait rods n reels that arent too expensive $100 range. I tried to get by using my heavy jig rod, on my third cast my huddleston went about 60 yards and the end of my line went ten yards. abu garcia c3? shimano cardiff? shimano corvalus? daiwa millionare? rods?
TTCal

Re: budget swim bait gear

Post by TTCal »

for rods, I'd give Okuma a real close look. Very good value for their swimbait rods.
Dennis "Cal" Shew
Enthusiast Tackle Editor
Tackle Tour : The Angler's source for tackle news and reviews
www.tackletour.com

[i]fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside[/i]
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

DeltaLuke got a Punker for his Birthday this last 27th. I have an older ABU 6300 he can use -- Or an ABU ProMax 6500. The reel is his chice -- as well as an ABU C3 to put on #80 braid.

Still looking for a rod for him to spend his monies on for a rod to match and work that bait correctly .... I just dont know what would be best for him yet with that bait and the line that we will be putting on it.

He really wants a Steve Birckman Custom rod for Jig's .... If I can talk him into using one of my Berkely PowerPoles for the Punker .. He is only $40 away from purchasing one.

..... But DeltaLuke will be broke again and my wife is trying to get him to save. -- I told DeltaLuke that that strategy has not worked on me at all this past year. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

300 size cardiff for the reel and the heavy action from okuma for the rod
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

Yep, Okuma H or XH 7'6 or Okuma 7'11" XH and a Cardiff 300 or 400 For the buck I am not sure if it can be beat. If so good luck with that rig too :lol: .
Hmmmmm the price is the only thing budget. These rigs will get it done just fine for sure.\
Best of luck!

Don.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
myrtle

Post by myrtle »

I am currently using a gander mountain musky rod that I bought for $60 and a C3 and it works fine. Especially after I put some of the extreme gear + lube in it.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

+2 On the Okuma XH matched with my Abu Garcia 5600C and its a killer setup complete for under $200.00
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
SethB

Post by SethB »

'nother vote for the Cardiff and Okuma.
Take a kid fishing
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

Okuma 711 XH
ABU C3 5500 or 6500,,,,, these r some of the most durable/reliable reels on the planet and cheap too.......spend $15 more and put a power handle on em,,, you'll definately appreciate the handle when you stick a toad
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

Love the Okuma. I have the 7' 11" XH. I've used a Corvalus and a Abu C3, the Corvalus will wear out pretty quick. I still use it over the C3 just because it's more comfotable to me, but it's not going to last that long being beaten up like this.

When I first started getting into SB's I got a 8' 6" inshore casting rod, it worked ok but wasn't quite enough for some of the bigger soft baits. I would definitely get a SB rod, it makes it way easier to toss these giant baits for any long period of time. The Okuma's are right around 100 bucks. Very good rods for the price.
bpm2000

Post by bpm2000 »

dont sleep on the okuma induron reels as well.
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

I agree with bmp, the Okuma Induron are very nice and inexpensive jut like the wonderful swimbait rods that they build.
bassenvy

Post by bassenvy »

Go with Okuma XH for hudds they have some of the best customer service in the business.

if you need a reel pm me I've got some extra's for sale
HiroshimaCustoms.com
sean alarid

Post by sean alarid »

Sacto John wrote:I agree with bmp, the Okuma Induron are very nice and inexpensive jut like the wonderful swimbait rods that they build.
+1
I have two of these setups and love them!!! :lol:
deltabassangler

Post by deltabassangler »

Looks like Okuma is the unanimous choice rod for swimbait!!
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

barse41 wrote:...my huddleston went about 60 yards and the end of my line went ten yards....
Curious to what would cause this that would be rod or reel specific!
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
davetNitro

Post by davetNitro »

you may want to check out the Matt Newman swim bait rods,
$10 bucks cheaper than okuma, and Matt Newman may have caught more swim bait fish than anyone...

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageRIGSBR-FMNR.html
Josh St.John

Post by Josh St.John »

I checked out one of the Matt Newman rods This week and they look and feel great.
They have a real nice moderate bend to them and they are pretty light as well. They seem like they would load up reel nice.
I will be buying one this coming week for sure for a new 8" Hudd rod.
Josh
http://www.thewiredangler.com/
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

You want a budget swim-bait outfit (rod & reel) for $100? Here’s what I’ve been using for the last several years:
Bass Pro Shops Graphite Series 7 ½ foot flipping stick, Heavy action………$19.95 (on sale, they’re normally $29.95 but if you wait, they’ll be offered at $19.95.) This is a glass-graphite composite that is virtually unbreakable. I got two of them and modified them as follows:
On one, I cut 6 inches off the top and mounted a new tip-top. This makes a 7’ rod that handles mid-size swim-baits very well.
On the second, I cut 12 inches off the top and mounted a new tip-top. This makes a 6 ½ foot rod that handles the heavy swim-baits very well. Does it provide the leverage and casting power of a 7'11' heavy action Okuma...certainly not. Does it enable me to cast heavy swim-baits far enough to make effective casts and retrieves...yep.
Because these are inexpensive (read – cheap!) rods, they have fewer-than-normal guides. I solve that by adding similar-sized guides between the originals…a simple, quick task if you know how to wrap and finish guides on rods.

Do either of these cast as well as the Okuma’s…probably not. Have they enabled me to effectively cast a wide range of swim-baits up to and including the 12â€
Please practice CPR (catch, photo, and release)
...RogerB