Fiberglass bass boat hull crack HELP

basstrophy

Fiberglass bass boat hull crack HELP

Post by basstrophy »

I purchased a new boat 9 months ago and found a crack going length wise on the bottom of my boat's hull. Brought the boat into the boat dealer and they tell me it's five feet long.

My question is has anyone ever heard about someone or had this same problem? I have never missed used or abused my boat nor have hit anything with my boat. I'm not going to say what kind of boat I have nor mention any names.

Right now after talking with the factory rep. I'm still waiting on if they will have the boat repaired locally or if the boat is going to be shipped back to the factory, either way i'm not a happy camper to say the least.

Any help would sure be appreciated with my awful problem.

Dang I need to get my boat wet........
David Rogers

Re: Fiberglass bass boat hull crack HELP

Post by David Rogers »

Wow 9 month old and cracked, that crazy!!

You did not mention the brand on purpose and thats cool but I would think that "ALL BRANDS" by now would have it down to a science, everyone knows everyones building secrets, I have a 1986 Ranger and the first thing I did when I bought it used was make sure the hull and mainly the transom was not cracked but I would not have a problem with any of the top 7 mfg if it were made in the last 7 years. Ranger to Nitro should be good. I know you must have spent big bank so I would not settle for nothing less than perfect!!!

Good luck and demand excellence!!!
David 371V Rogers
fishnfreak

Post by fishnfreak »

I also had a 5 foot long crack on my 97, 22' I tried to have a glass shop repair it, only to have it reopen after the first trip back to the Delta. My solution was great, I went to Bay Area Coatings and had the bottom of the hull from chine to chine coated with white bed liner. Stopped the crack, stopped all leaking, made it run quieter, and gave me 3-5 MPH on the top end. No one should have to do that with a new boat, but it sure saved mine.
Trace

Post by Trace »

Why not say what brand? Shtuff happens with anything. I would like to know how the company takes care of you by standing by their product or not. I have heard of Ranger, Basscat, Champion, and Stratos owners tell me of a problem they had. They also said the company took back the boat and made it right and kept the loyal customer. Good boat companies would find it unacceptable to have their product fail, unless it was toally abused.
Good luck.
Smile_n_Jax

Post by Smile_n_Jax »

I know it might be a PITA, but work with the company and have them fix it. Even the best boat makers can build one with a weak spot in it. There's no reason why you should have to put money out of pocket for a 9 month old boat. Hope everything works out for the best.
Jax Keilman
"I may be crazy, but it's kept me from going insane" - Waylon Jennings
'89 Stratos 269V, 90HP Yamaha. Small, but I love it.
basstrophy

Post by basstrophy »

Well I’ve been in contact with the boat manufacture warrantee rep for the last week. The rep tells me they are waiting on a word about the boat from one of the best glass shops in the USA. The rep explains that the glass company is checking for an air pocket or a structural flaw/weakness that may caused the problem. First finding the reason why the crack appeared then finding out if they will need to ship the boat back to the factory or possibly have it fixed locally.

Today Friday I received a phone call from the factory Rep and received some encouraging news . Long story short the glass company is going to fix the boat’s hull and I should have my boat back in a couple of weeks. The other issue is if when the glass company digs into the hull and finds structural problems they still may ship the boat back to the factory and have the factory repair or replace the hull. I’ll know more once the glass company digs into the repair. If the boat has to be shipped back to the factory it could be up to 90 days before the boat is returned.

Like all boat Manufactures they all back their products and they do take good care of their customers. The boat Rep has been a huge help and has kept me informed about the boats condition and issues.

I’ll keep you all posted as I receive more news.
Thanks for your time
Tight lines.
Skunkedagain

Post by Skunkedagain »

fishnfreak wrote:I also had a 5 foot long crack on my 97, 22' I tried to have a glass shop repair it, only to have it reopen after the first trip back to the Delta. My solution was great, I went to Bay Area Coatings and had the bottom of the hull from chine to chine coated with white bed liner. Stopped the crack, stopped all leaking, made it run quieter, and gave me 3-5 MPH on the top end. No one should have to do that with a new boat, but it sure saved mine.
Mind if I ask you how much that cost you? I may have to do somethign similar.
-Adam Paseman
basstrophy

Post by basstrophy »

Mind if I ask you how much that cost you? I may have to do somethign similar.[/quote]

Most boat MFG have a life time on their boat hulls. You might want to check it out with the MFG and find out some more info before you pay for something you didn't need to pay for.

If you're the first owner it should be covered if you're not the first owner then it might not be covered.