BEST BUZZBAIT??

Kevin Shin

BEST BUZZBAIT??

Post by Kevin Shin »

I got my first buzzbait fish last week and kinda hooked :D :D

What are the good buzzbaits?

When you buy one what quality/charactericts you guys are looking for??

Share some secrets :D :D /expertises.
"Kids need models, more than they need critics."
"In youth we learn; in age we understand."
buddy brown

Re: BEST BUZZBAIT??

Post by buddy brown »

I like the Cavitron. They work real good on a slow retrieve. No trailer hook big fish rarely miss. Famous Lures makes a great buzzbait as well but they're hard to get. They make an inline and a heavy guage wire clacker.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Lunker Lure
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Turners Outdoors - no name (phenox bait) the hook needs sharpened but the squeal is just second to none!
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
sean alarid

Post by sean alarid »

Bobby Ds custom lures. He hand pours and ties everything at his house. I think the best out there! You can get them from the hook line and sinker in oakley Ca. Or pm me for Bobbys number.
Good luck.
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

I love the Persuader "Gold Rush" buzz baits... they have 24k gold-plated blades and I've had a lot of success with them.

They're fun as heck when the bite is on - still remember the first time I got bit!

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Any Dbl. Buzz with a trailer and a trailer hook. I like the slowest buzzbait I can offer. That's why all the trailers. Some days they crush it...Others it's sipped down like a bluegill on a bug. I have no use for clackers in So Cal. ...But I do bend up everyone to get it to plane MY way. The Cavitron is really a good bait staight outta the package but because of the wire vs cable I cannot get MY bend. I fished ( and still do) the old Roland Martin Blue Fox for a year until withoutso much as a tap I started to bend it this way and that. I have the blades so far from one another that on some retrieves it's upside down....If you fish it with confidence they will come. I got one of our Casitas night fish last week on....a dbl. buzz :shock: :lol: :mrgreen:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
Fishing Joe

Post by Fishing Joe »

The best buzzer is the one you have confidence in. Usually it squills or clacks the loudest. You can make your buzzer squill buy crimping the rivet in back of the blade to the shaft. you can make it clack by bending the blade arm down enough so that it barely hits the hook arm. There are many great buzzers out there, you just have to experiment to find the one thats right for you. There are other tweeks that you can do to your buzz, but these are some of your more popular. I hope this helps you. Good Luck and tight lines
SoCalBassAssassin

Post by SoCalBassAssassin »

Has anyone tried the Booyah Bi-You doubles? I have been using the cavitron, but have a dificult time with setting the position of the props at different angles to experiment. I bought a couple of the Bi-You doubles, but haven't tried them yet... Any comments on them?
I came. I caught. I released. Life is good! -Saul-
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Fishing Joe wrote:There are other tweeks that you can do to your buzz, but these are some of your more popular. I hope this helps you. Good Luck and tight lines
Like hang it from your tow vehicle's antenna, or just off the side when you're running... the more they spin, the noisier they get.

Roger
Tight lines forever!

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

Revenge Baits make a very good buzzbait. They come in 1/4 and 1/2 ounce sizes. Baits have a counter balanced sleek body design, stay-on skirt keeper, custom silicone skirts, and the drop down wire helps the bait run straight. These baits plane well at slow retrieve and casts like a bullet. I've been using them at DVL nights this season and caught some good fish.
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I forgot about the revenge bait....Very good in my book.

Something to consider:

The Lucky Craft Wake Tail and Splash Tail....the Ol' woodchopper....or Dalton Special... are great baits for just piddiling along or ripp'n up a big comotion and leaving in the strike zone ( ambush area ) The Lucky Craft ain't like the old Smithwick Devils Horse as it has ball bearings on the blades and they don't stick but spin at the slightest movement on your part. I have had awesome days at Cachuma in spring on these baits...I suppose because you can leave them on the fish that are in a PROTECT mode. I have no experience with the Deps buzzjet but think that they are similar. Sometimes the slim shape of the Lucky Craft and other times the bulk of the woodchopper. I usually throw a 3/8 0z. dbl. buzz starting in say April and switch to the 1/2 0z. right about....NOW!

Rip
some guy

Post by some guy »

the buzzjet sucks.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
Scott

Post by Scott »

I'm going to second or third Revenge Buzzbaits
-=Scott=-
<b><i>Clean and Dry</i></b>
buddy brown

Post by buddy brown »

BooYeah
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Really ....the Buzzjet sux :?: :?: :?:

I see Lucky Craft has some new thing that is similar. Someone was just raving about the buzzjet on NorCal Side I thought???

Anyone have any experience with these baits?
some guy

Post by some guy »

sarcasm my friend.

but in all honesty.. at night location is a bigger factor then bait. Ive missed fish with one bait, picked up another rod and caught the fish on a diff bait. When they want to eat, they eat.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
Murph

Post by Murph »

I'm kind of partial to the Hart, Double blade. I watched Larry Cross put on a Clinic with it one day, while I was in the back of his boat, at Lake Mead.
It might be lonely at the Top, but it's a bitch, at the Bottom !
Brian D.

I'm kinda partial

Post by Brian D. »

to the Markey's Whirly Gig. :lol:
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Kevin Shin

Post by Kevin Shin »

Thanks guys for chiming in.

I got my shopping list done now. :D

I still have some questions,,,,,,,
Kelly Ripa wrote: ...But I do bend up everyone to get it to plane MY way. The Cavitron is really a good bait staight outta the package but because of the wire vs cable I cannot get MY bend. :
What's the reason you have to bend any part of the bait YOUR way? and if you don't mind what is YOUR way? :D

SoCalBassAssassin wrote: but have a dificult time with setting the position of the props at different angles to experiment.

What's that you try to achieve by this experiment of yours? Do you just change the angle btwn blade and hook arms or anything else?

Kelly Ripa wrote:I usually throw a 3/8 0z. dbl. buzz starting in say April and switch to the 1/2 0z. right about....NOW!
Rip

Why switch if 3/8 oz works good? :D

Murph wrote:I'm kind of partial to the Hart,

Is this a brand name??

Sorry for so many questions :( :(
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Kevin Shin wrote:
Murph wrote:I'm kind of partial to the Hart,
Is this a brand name??

Sorry for so many questions :( :(
Hart is a brand name buzzbait - excellent side by side buzzer but shhhh
Links to Check Out -
Murph

Post by Murph »

Yeah Kevin, it's a brand name. You can check them out at harttackle.com
It might be lonely at the Top, but it's a bitch, at the Bottom !
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Hart thats another sweet bait too> The ones I can't stand are the dbl buzz that are two seperate wires that are not connected at the line tie.

I'll Have Younce ( Nunyo Bizness ) Take a few pictures this Sunday for ya. I bend the arms of the blades out flat almost and do a bend on the hook portion that starts about 1/2 inch from the line tie at around 30 degrees and then taper it out to a parrallel of the blades. it is down in the water a bit but allows it to plane quick on the take up. I also use a split ring on the nose as I like the idea of a "wrist" or something that can keep the Green masters from getting an angle on me. To those who are new at this I can't stress enough to stop the cast BEFORE it hits the water. You Lay it out...stop it and are on the retrieve when the bait hits the water.....Lots and Lots of hits in the first very few feet this way. I thought I'd hung a tree the other night as I never heard the bait make a sound...Course I'm gett'n pretty deaf... :wink:

I use 1/4 0z single bladed buzzbait (Black) in the spawn. I just have found the fish get more aggressive as the summer goes on and 1/2 0z makes a big meal.

Rip
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Kelly Ripa wrote:To those who are new at this I can't stress enough to stop the cast BEFORE it hits the water. You Lay it out...stop it and are on the retrieve when the bait hits the water.....Lots and Lots of hits in the first very few feet this way.
GREAT tip... I figured that out myself (quite by accident) when I first started using them, and just adopted it as SOP.

I'll have to try the splitring setup... makes sense. I've had too many nice ones try hooking me by spitting it right back! :evil:

Roger
Tight lines forever!

SoCalBassAssassin

Kevin Shin wrote:
SoCalBassAssassin wrote: but have a dificult time with setting the position of the props at different angles to experiment.
What's that you try to achieve by this experiment of yours? Do you just change the angle btwn blade and hook arms or anything else?

:(
Kevin, I bend the blades out or in for clicking or no clicking. If I have found that some like the clicking some don't. After reading Kelly's post here I a mgonna work on the plane factor also. Thanks.. Kelly! I hope this stuff helps you, Kevin.. It is definnitely giving me some valuable pointers for buzz baits. I have caught more fish on top water lures like sammy's ghosta, etc. I still haven't gotten the results I am trying for with the buzz baits. .. So Kevin.. Thanks for asking all the questions..
sTony

Post by sTony »

Persuader buzz baits. Gold Rush, Double Buzzer - which is really similar to a bait I used to throw made by Rich Iannolo, the Blade in Blade buzzbaits are also solid fish catchers. Persuader originally built its reputation in the industry on the strength of their buzz baits.

I've caught some of my better fish fishing buzzbaits. You'll love it when you figure out the when's, where's and why's.

sTony
bpm2000

Post by bpm2000 »

Scott wrote:I'm going to second or third Revenge Buzzbaits
I have 3 of the 1/2oz baits, and not a single one runs straight. they had pretty much everyhing i was looking for (holes in blade, good head design, angled wire, etc) but I cant get em to run right. Its not that they track left or right, but they lay on the side when I retrieve them.

I like the strike king titanium pros (discontinued) or the R2S crystal buzz myself. Persuader double buzz is good too for the slow roll.
Kevin Shin

Post by Kevin Shin »

Kelly Ripa wrote:Hart thats another sweet bait too> The ones I can't stand are the dbl buzz that are two seperate wires that are not connected at the line tie.

I'll Have Younce ( Nunyo Bizness ) Take a few pictures this Sunday for ya. I bend the arms of the blades out flat almost and do a bend on the hook portion that starts about 1/2 inch from the line tie at around 30 degrees and then taper it out to a parrallel of the blades. it is down in the water a bit but allows it to plane quick on the take up. I also use a split ring on the nose as I like the idea of a "wrist" or something that can keep the Green masters from getting an angle on me. To those who are new at this I can't stress enough to stop the cast BEFORE it hits the water. You Lay it out...stop it and are on the retrieve when the bait hits the water.....Lots and Lots of hits in the first very few feet this way. I thought I'd hung a tree the other night as I never heard the bait make a sound...Course I'm gett'n pretty deaf... :wink:

I use 1/4 0z single bladed buzzbait (Black) in the spawn. I just have found the fish get more aggressive as the summer goes on and 1/2 0z makes a big meal.

Rip
I'll wait for the pics if it's not asking too much :) ,,,,I can't quite picture what you explained above :(

I also was going to use split rings but though less hardware is better. I'll put split rings on half of my stock and see.

Do you guys throw the same kind of buzzbait for night fishing,,,,maybe except for the color change into BLACK??
Hillbilly in Cali

Post by Hillbilly in Cali »

I normally use Booyah buzz baits. There is times when fish want a bait with no clacker and a slow retrieve and other times when they want it fast and loud. Buy several different types and use them and figure out what you like. My brother only throws strike king buzz baits because that is what he likes.
Please don't get off !!!
SoCalBassAssassin

bpm2000 wrote:
Scott wrote:I'm going to second or third Revenge Buzzbaits
I have 3 of the 1/2oz baits, and not a single one runs straight. they had pretty much everyhing i was looking for (holes in blade, good head design, angled wire, etc) but I cant get em to run right. Its not that they track left or right, but they lay on the side when I retrieve them.

I like the strike king titanium pros (discontinued) or the R2S crystal buzz myself. Persuader double buzz is good too for the slow roll.
My single blade buzz baits run the same way, bpm. i have several of the Cavitron single blade buzz baits, and it seems that no matter how I rig them they run with the blade on the side. I just thought that was the nature of the beast. What say you, Kelly?

Saul
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

That's how they run all righty. The single bladed jobs have to be pitched either left or right so of course they will run to on side or another. This can be used to your advantage as it can cause the bait to veer into the stick-ups and whatnot that you are trying to hit anyway....

Don't think about it to much guys they eat them upside down for crying out loud :lol: :lol: ...I used to use 17 pound yellow flouresent Stren with my baits on ultra clear Cachuma cuz I didn't use it all up in night tournaments and it looks like 1/4 inch nylon rope and that never stoped the fish from eating. The confidence factor is what helps. When you get so in tune with a bait that you know either something is different and it's time to swing or you know when you are going to get bit THAT'S the big edge whether you are competing or just fishing. Ask Nunyo about the shot I called outta the park last year. She was exactly where I said she would be and Killed my dbl. buzz. She was over 8 pounds ( respectable ) but it's because you are in tune with everything about that bait ( or any ) that makes you dangerous not the baits you use more often than not. The first few that you catch are a miracle after that it's part of the plan. :wink:

Rip

Oh and in my book Black is a great color period that I do use more often than not in early spring or at night.

Remember what the Dormouse said. Feed your Head!
buddy brown

Post by buddy brown »

People tend to reel their buzzbaits in too fast which can cause it to run on its side. A single tailed grub can help stabilize the bait so it can be run at a faster tempo, but the grub tail can catch air during the cast and shorten the distance of it, which can result in the bait spinning in the air or the wicked backlash. I put a yammy single tail on there and clip the tail so there is about 60% of it left, which forms a little flag end. This little flag end will not catch the air as much as the full curled tail, and the salted grub body will still add weight and stability to the bait. I clip a "v" into the flag which gives it a little action. Line is another consideration. Thick goat rope type mono like Izor platnum in 12 or 15 is good, braid is really good. If you watch a good buzzbait fisherman you will noticed how painstaking slow he is willing to work his bait, with the blades barely turning. There is a sweet spot within the retrieval process whether it be fast or slow where everything is in sync. I get bit the most when I'm locked in to the sweetspot and just not think about getting bit. The retard lack of engagement tends to result in a better hookup percentage. Buzzbait fishing requires the patience of the jig fisherman along with the detached quality of the crank fisherman covering water down the bank.
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Also, I fish my buzzbaits on braid... if they're going to eat that noisy beast, it won't matter if they can see the line or not! Makes it easy to pitch it into the rough without worrying about getting it back.

Roger
Tight lines forever!

littlebailey

Post by littlebailey »

Two words. Dead Eye. Talk to Eric at Erics Tackle. tell him we need em back! I have two left. Donkey catchers. Whats up so cal?!!! You miss me yet? :lol:
"Posse Approved"
www.reactorwatch.com
www.bassaholics.com
www.irodfishing.com
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Yeah Paul... how's it going up there??? You get settled in yet?

Roger
Tight lines forever!

Dan P

Post by Dan P »

littlebailey wrote:Two words. Dead Eye. Talk to Eric at Erics Tackle. tell him we need em back! I have two left. Donkey catchers. Whats up so cal?!!! You miss me yet? :lol:
Those don't work :twisted:

J&T gets a decent size order of them right before summer. Not sure if they have anymore 8) . These baits are very well made. I had a 5+ just crush the bait and didn’t even phase it.
Kevin Shin

Post by Kevin Shin »

Rip or Younce,,,,

Pictures still not ready yet?? :D :D

Dan,,,

Do you know if JT ships? If you have one,,,I gotta have one too. :D
Mattlures

Post by Mattlures »

Revenge makes a realy nice buzzer. Look for a bb with a rivot against the back of the blade. If its got a bead instead its no good.
You want the sqeekiest one you can find. I personaly dont like clackers but I have seen them produce.
premium swimbaits for trophy bass
www.mattlures.com
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

buddy brown wrote:People tend to reel their buzzbaits in too fast which can cause it to run on its side. A single tailed grub can help stabilize the bait so it can be run at a faster tempo, but the grub tail can catch air during the cast and shorten the distance of it, which can result in the bait spinning in the air or the wicked backlash. I put a yammy single tail on there and clip the tail so there is about 60% of it left, which forms a little flag end. This little flag end will not catch the air as much as the full curled tail, and the salted grub body will still add weight and stability to the bait. I clip a "v" into the flag which gives it a little action.
I use a spade tail pro worm the spade tail puts out a good amount of thump and still allows me to use a stinger hook and gives me added color and bouancy. Along with Buddy Browns details at times I will cup the blade more getting it to run slower without sinking.
Links to Check Out -
Nunyo Bizness

Post by Nunyo Bizness »

Kevin.
I have them, but there is a few. I'm not sure how to post them here, but if you PM your e-mail addy I will send them that was. I was hoping to send them to Rip so he could add captions to them.

John
I came , I saw, I Cleaned and Dried.
Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

Wow! Great info and tips guys. This right here is the kind of stuff WesternBass.com is supposed to be all about. I'll share a tip that has helped me too. I toss the Revenge buzzbaits on 55 or 66 pound Toray braid. To help the braid float more and keep the bait up even better, I rub the braid at the bait with candle wax. This helps my buzzbait stay on plane better. I do the same thing for top water Vixens, Spooks, and frogs. It helps keep the braid from getting fouled and tangled in the bait's hooks.
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
Cmarkfish

Post by Cmarkfish »

Hey Guys,
I make my own with the help from a do-it mold. they are about one ounce and they don't look like much but the catch fish. they cast pretty good and i use .055 steel wire, a pain to bend but they take a beating.
chief
http://www.optimumbaits.com
http://www.VCBASS.org
http://www.cronies.com
http://www.coastalemb.net
http://www.calbfn.com
B.A.S.S. Nation
State Champion 2007
California State B.A.S.S NATION PRESIDENT
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Dan P wrote:
littlebailey wrote:Two words. Dead Eye. Talk to Eric at Erics Tackle. tell him we need em back! I have two left. Donkey catchers. Whats up so cal?!!! You miss me yet? :lol:
Those don't work :twisted:

J &T gets a decent size order of them right before summer. Not sure if they have anymore 8) . These baits are very well made. I had a 5+ just crush the bait and didn’t even phase it.
J & T still had a few the last I looked. Call Dead Eye at; 951/679.8598 and ask who has them in stock.
The Double Buzzer is very well made and worth $15+.
Tom
Nunyo Bizness

Post by Nunyo Bizness »

OK, I have the pictures on photobucket. Can someone explain (without rippin my head off) how to get them here? I added some captions to them, but for whatever reason they did not transfer over to photo bucket. A short answer would bet very helpful. I may not be able to get to this again today as I have an appointment and then have to work second shift, but if someone can clue me in, I will try and post them as soon as I can.

John
Kevin Shin

Post by Kevin Shin »

John,,

Go to your pictures at photobucekt.
Bottom right corner it says "image code".
Click on it and it will automatically copy to the memory.

When you write here,,,,,just paste (ctrl + v) here.
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I hope the photo's work out for ya Kevin....I don't know about the contrast and all the other myrid of problems John faced. He wanted a blow by blow from me on the pictures but the wifey was not in a fishing type mood last night so I told John to wing it....Heck he took the pictures so he should know what goes where and why. :lol:

Rip

Remember what the Dormouse said. Feed your head!
Nunyo Bizness

Post by Nunyo Bizness »

OK here they are.

Out of the box

add split ring

Bend arms down

View of arms bent down

Side view

bend center arm down

View of center wire bent

side view before adding trailer

adding trailer

Finished view 1

Finished view 2

Finished view 3

These are not great photo's as Kelly will tell you, but it was what I could do in short notice. I hope they help.

John
Last edited by Nunyo Bizness on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RipnRog

Post by RipnRog »

reaction innovations squeeky dolphin..... squeeks right out of the pack...... thing is money......
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Man I am glad you just didnt give away too much info like placing a Speed Trap or Big Hammer and removing the skirt entirely :lol:

Nice job!
Links to Check Out -