What is your favorite swimbait and jig rods / reels setup

TomAtkeson

What is your favorite swimbait and jig rods / reels setup

Post by TomAtkeson »

Looking into buying another jig rod and another swimbait rod (different setups of course) looking for what some of you guys have used and like Thanks!
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing
procraftrob

Re: What is your favorite swimbait and jig rods / reels setu

Post by procraftrob »

For deep jigs I really like the new Daiwa Zillion 7ft med heavy, I pair that with a Daiwa zillion 6.3:1 reel.

As for a swimbait rod it depends on the size of swimbaits you want to throw, a nice all around rod is a Dobyns 795ml it can throw the big baits like Hudds and can still throw alot of the smaller 6inch swimbaits,I put a Calcutta 400 on mine.
MT

Post by MT »

Powell 734 with a good ol green curado for jigs in lakes.
mvanguilder

Post by mvanguilder »

As for jigs the St. Croix Avid 7' med. heavy fast and as for swimbaits the St. Croix Legend tournament series for smaller swimbaits the swimbait rod and for the larger swimbaits use the mega swimbait. www.stcroixrods.com

St. Croix pro staff - Mike Van Guilder Jr.
www.fishwrangler.net
www.baitbarn.net
Ridge_Runner20

Post by Ridge_Runner20 »

For jigs, Powell 703C (1/4-1/2oz.) and 704C (1/2oz+) are my favorites. I pair them with a Quantum Accurist PT500 baitcaster (6.3:1) and 10-15lb. Yo-Zuri Hybrid... good to go!

RR_20
Stretch1

Post by Stretch1 »

jig rod/reel
diawa zillion high speed and great feel in my hand
lami 724 senko special great feel and long

swimbait rod/reel
for me i use an old abu garcia low gear ratio lefty..
rod lami bigbait special for bigger swimbaits or lami swimbait special for smaller ones

but an 806 flippn stick is a good back up smaller swimbait rod...
SethB

Post by SethB »

Yeah Jigs and swimbaits, seems like thats all I throw anymore. The best all around jig rod I've found is G Lommis 844c 7' Heavy fast GL3 12-20# line 1/4-1oz. paired with old green Curado.
As for the swimbaits. 7'6" Heavy Okuma is a great all around swimbait rod for every thing from mission fish to hudd. to 316 Wake jr. I use curado 300 or cardiff 400. I dont own one yet but the Lommis swimbait rods are about as sweet as they get.
Take a kid fishing
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

Seth,

I agree that my favorite jig rod would be either the IMX 844 or 843.
I have been using that 7'5 glx senko rod, works good on jigs too. I usually use this rod on the delta because i tend to do more casting, pitching, and flipping verse just one. This rod helps me eliminate having three extra jig rods on the deck.

another thing about that glx rod is the tip is a little forgiving. It will allow you to throw a 128 pointer on it, spinnerbait, sppok/sammy.

Check one out!

Swimbaits, I like my rainshadow!

Steven
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

I love my Powell 734 for jigs. It also makes a good open water frog rod and spook rod.

As for Swimbait rods I own two Okumas, (7'6XH for Hudds and big rubber baits, 7'11H for smaller baits and wake baits) they are good rods for a great price made by a company that stands behind their product 100%
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

My only "have to" on my swimbait set-ups is the Shimano Curado 301 (lefty). Its no doubt the finest reel out for big baits.
LL South
bassenvy

Post by bassenvy »

TomAtkeson wrote:Looking into buying another jig rod and another swimbait rod (different setups of course) looking for what some of you guys have used and like Thanks!
how heavy of a jig and where are you throwin' it? also how heavy a sb are you casting and what sb reel are you pairing it up with?
Brian Ruthman

Post by Brian Ruthman »

I have been using the Dobyns Dx705 for jigs , a Shimano 7:1 curado reel , and 15lb Seagar flourocarbon line ....to me there is no better setup , well balanced , sensitive and just a good setup for me at the lakes . On the delta i use a Dobyns 765 for flipping jigs , it works good when your having to move the fish away or out of the cover fast , same reel but with 20lb Seagar line .
Im going to be getting some of the Dobyns swimbait rods soon so i cant help you out with those , but from what i have been told by some guys who have them they really like them , i cant wait till i get mine !
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

Ultimate Swimbait setup for me is a Dobyns 795ML Mike Long swimbait rod. This rod paired with a curado 300 and 20 lb P line Floro is awesome. It is my work horse and has performed well for me this past year. It drags in big fish with ease. Great setup for med sized swimbaits and can even throw huds, punkers, and the like. For a Jig Rod, I recommend the the Dobyns 765 with a shimano core 100. Great all purpose setup. I am very happy with Dobyns' rods. They have treated me well.
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

Thanks for all the replies guys. I enjoyed reading what ya'll had to say. I'll be looking closely at the Dobyns and Okuma rods for sure. I'm a big Daiwa fan and will probably stick with one of their reels. I live in southern Louisiana right now and will be fishing the BASS opens this year. After looking at pictures of Sam Rayburn, Atchafayla Basin and having fished Toledo Bend once it looks like I'm going to be tossing at lots of timber and weeds not so much for the open water so some of the more heavy duty rods and line will probably serve me best.

Again thanks for everyone's input!
Tom Atkeson
Brian Ruthman

Post by Brian Ruthman »

185vsfrog that is the exact rod i have on order , i got the 301 curado reel waiting for it at home . I bought that at Tackle Warehouse when they were closing them out , got a real good deal on it . :D
Chaozu

Post by Chaozu »

I gotta ask, does everyone REALLY love their Dobyns rods as much they say they do? I know SuperMatt loves to rep his sponsors, and I think so do a lot of other guys. I have a 704 that I love for jigs. But I dont think the 795 is all what it's cracked up to be. I threw several different swimbaits on that rod and wasn't impressed. And NO, this is not a good rod for HUDDS! Maybe if your only throwing a ROF5, but the ROF12 is too much. I prefer a Setyr for my swimbaits, nothing else compares in my opinion. And NO, I am not sponsored, just really love their swimbait rods. So, WHY do you like your Dobyns for swimbaits so much? Not hating on Dobyns rods at all, I love my jig rod, just curious as to why so many people seem to like a particular rod that just didn't do it for me.
Ryan Margone
Mike Thomas

Post by Mike Thomas »

My jig set-up is a Dobyns 704c paired with a curado 200 and 12#floro. I fish 1/2 to 3/4 oz. jigs down to 60 feet at times and can feel everything the bait touches and everything that touches it.
For my larger swimbaits I throw a Dobyns 866h paired with a calcutta 400 and 25# cxx. I would sleep with this set-up if I could lol!
For my small to medium swimbaits and topwater ( i.e. wake baits & punkers ) I throw a Dobyns 795ml paired with a curado 300 and 20# cxx. 185vsfrog hit the nail on the head with this one...its awesome
All of these rods have performed flawlessly and I could not be happier.
bassenvy

Post by bassenvy »

TomAtkeson wrote:After looking at pictures of Sam Rayburn, Atchafayla Basin and having fished Toledo Bend once it looks like I'm going to be tossing at lots of timber and weeds not so much for the open water so some of the more heavy duty rods and line will probably serve me best.

I have the Rogues,Crucials, and a Dobyns 806 and still reach for one of my 7'11 Okuma XH's most of the time. The handle length and reel seat is positioned perfect imo,the rod has a slower taper than the above mentioned,and you can't beat their warranty. If sb rods wear you out you are better off with the Dobyns line they seem to be balanced the best.

As for a jig rod it's hard to leave the loomis 844,powell 764,and dobyns 766 at home they all serve their purpose.
Mike Thomas

Post by Mike Thomas »

Chaozu wrote:I gotta ask, does everyone REALLY love their Dobyns rods as much they say they do? I know SuperMatt loves to rep his sponsors, and I think so do a lot of other guys. I have a 704 that I love for jigs. But I dont think the 795 is all what it's cracked up to be. I threw several different swimbaits on that rod and wasn't impressed. And NO, this is not a good rod for HUDDS! Maybe if your only throwing a ROF5, but the ROF12 is too much. I prefer a Setyr for my swimbaits, nothing else compares in my opinion. And NO, I am not sponsored, just really love their swimbait rods. So, WHY do you like your Dobyns for swimbaits so much? Not hating on Dobyns rods at all, I love my jig rod, just curious as to why so many people seem to like a particular rod that just didn't do it for me.
Chazou, I cant speak for anyone else on this but my personal answer to your question is without a doubt YES. I do love my Dobyns rods as much as I say I do and NO I am not sponsored by Dobyns rods or anyone else for that matter.....I'm just a fisherman that loves what I do. I have fished a bunch of rods from other companies and these are the one's that do it for me. It's a matter of personal preferrence.
As far as your statement about the 795ml I cant really offer an opinion on it as a rod for throwing hudds.....I've never bothered to throw one with mine as thats not the purpose I purchased it for. What I can say is that particular rod is in my eyes great for the baits that I throw with it.
As for WHY I like the 795ml for one as I mentioned above it has been great for the purpose for which I use it, I also like the handle length of the ML series rods, for they way I'm built they're comfortable to fish and lastly it's been shown time and time again that Gary stands behind his product. Everyone has their prefference's this one's mine. :)
Have a good one, Mike
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

I' don't know, as of yet I have not even used a Dobyns rod that I can remember. I have been using a BPS 7'6 MH medium action rod for punkers, shell crackers 8in hollow bodies and a couple other swimbaits and it works fine for me especially for its price. I don't recall any one ever telling me that they had a pressure bite on a swimbait ... in fact all I have ever heard is they hit them like a run away freight train.

All I have ever heard was good things about Dobyns rods though. Then again when Powell first hit the market that's all I heard as well and I have had two break on me. My oldest rods are Lamiglas Skeet reese pro models.
Tom Atkeson
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I use a 7' GLX Heavy Mag rod for Jigs, matched up with flurocarbon. I LOVE this stick, it is a bit pricey but well worth it IMHO.

I am not sponsored by anyone
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

For smaller/lighter (mission fish,wakebaits,floating cracker) swimbaits I use a shimano clarus 7'6 Heavy/7'11 H Okhuma depending on lure with a Curado 301 20# mono...larger/heavy swimbaits (Huddy,Punker, tailwagger,10 in. trout ss) I use the 7'6 Okhuma xh with a Shimano 301 also and 65# braid. Rods are cheap and the bites are usually solid and noticable. I'd love to have a Dobyns, Loomis, ect. but than again I'm not lucky enough to have the golden ticket to buy more expensive rods.
LL South
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

Chaozu, to clarify, I am not sponsored by Dobyns or anybody for that matter. Everyone has their own preference for rods. This guy's post asked for opinions, and I gave mine. I am not "repping" anybody's products. I love my 795ML and I can honestly say that it has been in my hand every day I have fished the delta since april and has caught many fish including my PB 12.39 lbs. It is my workhorse rod. To each his own. I also have Dobyns 806 and 807 swimbait rods, both of which have caught DD fish for me and handle big baits and hudds for me just fine. To you, Dobyns rods might not be the $#@# but to me they are, especially for the price. Sure you can buy Powell, G Loomis, Lamiglass, or Okuma. I'm sure you will find many guys tht like each particular brand. I am just giving my opinion, and doing it without bias.
Mike Thomas

Post by Mike Thomas »

TomAtkeson wrote:I' don't know, as of yet I have not even used a Dobyns rod that I can remember. I have been using a BPS 7'6 MH medium action rod for punkers, shell crackers 8in hollow bodies and a couple other swimbaits and it works fine for me especially for its price. I don't recall any one ever telling me that they had a pressure bite on a swimbait ... in fact all I have ever heard is they hit them like a run away freight train.

All I have ever heard was good things about Dobyns rods though. Then again when Powell first hit the market that's all I heard as well and I have had two break on me. My oldest rods are Lamiglas Skeet reese pro models.
Bass will eat swimbaits all kinds of ways :D I've had pressure bite's where the rod has just started to slowly load up when they've picked it up and slowly started to cruise off with it or just suddenly lost feeling for the bait as they've picked it up swimming toward me, Bites that all I felt was a slight "tick" like a worm bite and plenty of others that were like snagging the bumper of a passing truck on the highway and bites that were just a solid THUMP that makes the rod vibrate. what I've learned is that as soon as something does'nt feel right.....SWING!
big_gorilla

Post by big_gorilla »

I can tell you this if you pick up the Zillion before you pick up the Dobyns rod the Dobyn's rod is gonna feel real heavy.

I myself prefer how light the Zillion is and how much more balanced it is then most of the rods out there.

If your fishing more timber and heavier line you should go with the 7' Heavy or just get the Zillion flippin stick you can pitch and flip all day.
First one in the box settles the nerves!
Phil Burgess

Post by Phil Burgess »

DOBYN'S DOBYN'S DOBYN'S

DID I SAY DOBYN'S

704----734----764----766

ALL GOOD JIG RODS!!!!!!!! AND THE 766 IS A GOOD SMALL SWIMBAIT ROD ALSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ILL RIDE TO HELL AND BACK WITH YOU BOYS!!!!!!!!!!
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

WHen something doesnt feel right swing ... thats what I always do ... Swings are free. Till ya rip that soft plastic swimbait but hey thats what mend it is for right?
Tom Atkeson
Mike Thomas

Post by Mike Thomas »

Well they're free untill you accidentally set into something you cant get the bait out of :shock: then they start getting expensive :lol: . I've got a huddy that has caught well over 150 fish...I just keep glue'in it back together and it keep's doing its thing. I think the back, nose and belly of that bait are almost nothing but mend-it now! and I've had to glue most of the fins back in place. That stuff has saved me a ton of money!
Brian Ruthman

Post by Brian Ruthman »

Chaozu , no i dont have my Dobyns swimbait rods yet , but i have really been impressed with all the other rods i have in the Dobyns line . I fish his rods because he really cares about us as anglers and wants to help us all catch more fish by creating an affordable quality product . Him fishing all these years he knows what he needs out of a rod and what anglers are going to expect . I had a whole bunch of different poles loomis , St.croix , Fenwick , Shimano , etc . I had to search through each of these brands to find the rods that really worked for me for each application some expensive rods i bought i thought would be good sit in my garage and i wish i had the money right now . What Gary has done is by him fishing all these different baits and such he knows what actions work best in a rod and put it into a line of rods that is balanced , sensitive , great warrenty , and a great price for what you get .
I can tell you of a list of other products i really like such as Robo Worms , Revenge , Yamamoto , Spro , Luckycraft ,Shimano , Ranger boats , etc . These are all quality products that fit right in with Dobyns rods type of quality and im happy to be using them and dont mind saying so .
I wont ever recommend any product to anyone no matter if i get fee stuff from a company or even if they offered to pay me . If i dont believe in it 100% im not supporting it . :)
Chaozu

Post by Chaozu »

Hahahaha Gotch ya! Like I said I love my 704 but the 795 wasn't for me I guess. Now the 806 is a sweet rod, That I do agree. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Try the Setyr if you get a chance though, I love throwing that thing
Ryan Margone
Mike Thomas

Post by Mike Thomas »

Brian, I agree with you on the 100%. Along with most of what you mentioned I like Ganns Performance Tackle, 3:16 and Huddleston all three put out high quality baits. Once again I'm not sponsored these are just what I like. If I'm going to spend money on gear I'll buy what I have the most confidence in and what I consider to be the best value for my dollar...be it a rod, reel, line or bait and if someone asks an opinion I feel comfortable giving one. Ok now that I've jacked this thread way away from where it was going....im done lol! :D