Water Pressure

McLovin

Water Pressure

Post by McLovin »

Can someone here that actually Knows what they are talking about :D tell me what the water pressure gage should read when running at say 4000 rpms & while it is idling. I hit a sand bar last week at Mcclure & after getting pulled off, my motor alarm went off while i was idling. I turned the motor off and let it cool down, then I started it and ran up to 4000 rpms and the pressure came up to about 17. every thing seemed fine till I went out again this week. I idled all the way out of rivers end & it was fine, But later when I idled out of disco the alarm went off again. While idling my gage doesnt move. It is a 2007 225 mercury opti. I am trying to figure out if I need to replace the impeller. They want $300. Thankyou in advance for taking the time to respond. Jesse Ochoa
Brian

Re: Water Pressure

Post by Brian »

Not sure on the Pressure for your boat, but I do know it is not that hard to replace the impeller yourself..............
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

Sounds like the water strainer that feeds the compressor is plugged up and your alarm is actually sounding because of your compressor overheating, not because of the V-6 head temps.

I wouldn't run your motor until you get it checked as you may loose your compressor! And, those aint cheap!

Get a shop manual or trace the water lines from the compressor to where it feeds into the block as this is where the strainer is. I think it goes through the fuel cooler.

You can google it and check out a Clymer's on-line manual that will show this as well.

BTW, on an Opti, idle should be 1.5 to 4lbs and WOT should be 15lbs. This is MINUMUM!!

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
TritonBrent

Post by TritonBrent »

Hey Jesse, My motor runs about 6 lbs at idle and around 22 wide open. At 4000 I would say your numbers are good. The no presure at idle is not good though. I would say more than likely some **** plugged up in the lower unit or tstat.

And $300 sounds very high. C&C in Modesto fixed my water presure problem last year for much much less that that.

Try back flushing the motor and see if any debris comes out
Grape Ape

Post by Grape Ape »

Jesse,
Contact Paul at C & C Marine (209) 526-4120. They're the best!
Harry Markarian

Markarian Investigations @ (209) 777-9696
USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

TritonBrent wrote: Try back flushing the motor and see if any debris comes out

+2

You can make/get the fitting at any OSH, Lowes, Home Depo. Take your plug in with you to make sure you have the correct size and thread. (I have and EFI so I don't know where the plug is for the Opti's) ...And you can make one yourself out of Brass fittings or even a galvanized swedge for around $6 or less.

I do it for regular maintance almost every time I re-add oil to my boat.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

Basically had the same problem last year when I ran the motor through sand at Oroville. You probably do need a new impeller and/or thermostats. My '04 225 doesn't read any water pressure at idle either. The analog gauges are just not that accurate without some pressure. At 4000 you should be in the range of 12-15lbs. At WOT I'm at about 20lbs. $300 sounds high for just a water pump replacement. I'd think you could get the water pump and thermostats for that price. Check with Galaxie. They'll give you an estimate over the phone.

NoCAL
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

i'd try the flush out first. but ur probly due for a new impeller. have them chk the compressor screen too.
my guess the $300 is probly for a lower unit service which should include new impeller/ new housing and new lower unit fluid change.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Hey guys thanks for the advice. I did flush the motor but that didnt change anything. I could not find the screen that one of you mentioned. I am an a wheelchair so its kind of hard to get to things. I decided to take it to the new triton dealer in stockton. I will see how that goes.
TritonBrent

Post by TritonBrent »

McLovin wrote:Hey guys thanks for the advice. I did flush the motor but that didnt change anything. I could not find the screen that one of you mentioned. I am an a wheelchair so its kind of hard to get to things. I decided to take it to the new triton dealer in stockton. I will see how that goes.

:evil: Call me if you need a hand with something!

:wink:
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

I'd be willing to help out if you have a water pump kit. Email me at gabuelhaj@hotmail.com and maybe if you get a couple of us together, we can get it done just for cost.

I'm here in Manteca and it shouldn't take long.
Glenn Abuelhaj
Leroy_B

Post by Leroy_B »

where was that sand bar?? i'm heading to mcclure this weekend and you could save me some trouble if i know where it is....... :wink:
Turkeyman

Post by Turkeyman »

Probably the same one I hit. Up the river channel about 400 yards from the left turn. The river filled in about 2oo yards with sand in less than a month.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Hey guys thanks for the offers. I had a couple of guys come over and look at it, but nobody really seemed to be sure of exactly how to fix it. Since it is still a new moter, I took it to the new triton dealer in stockton This morning. I just didnt want to take the chance of trying to save a couple of dollars and then it costing me thousands. thanks again . And yes turkyman you are exactly right it is up the river. I was at least a 100yrds further up the river just two week ago, thats why it caught me by suprise.