CA College Choices

Nick_Barr

CA College Choices

Post by Nick_Barr »

Hi Everyone!

I am in the middle of my Junior year in High School and I am starting to look at colleges. I have generally made up my decision to either stay in WA, or go to North Cal.

I am looking for a 4 year college/university in the North Cal area, around the Delta would probably be the best. Some place where the real estate is pretty affordable and the neighborhood isnt too bad.

But mainly, I am looking to get a good business degree.

So far, I have really only looked into the University of the Pacific but I would like everyone's opinion on what I should look at, as this is a BIG decision for me.

Thanks,
Nick
http://www.NickBarrFishing.com
President, Eastern Washington University Sportsman's Club
Ricky-S

Re: CA College Choices

Post by Ricky-S »

UC Davis www.ucd.edu
Sac State www.csus.edu
Chico State www.csuchico.edu

If your goal is to be in the mix of the best bass fishing in the country then Sac State and UC Davis would be my top two choices.

I attended UC Davis just so I could be 45 minutes from the Delta, 1.5 hours from CL and Shasta. Davis will be harder to get into than Sac State in terms of gpa and SAT scores.

Davis is about 15-20 minutes West of Sacramento and very close to the Sac Airport. I spent my entire 5 years of college at UC Davis fishing tournaments and chasing girls. I also managed to find some time to study.

I also happen to work in college admissions if you need some tips. I was the Assistant Director of Admissions for UC Davis for 5 years and have contacts at Davis and Sac State.

PS-Remember that you will have to pay out-of-state fees to attend a CA public college. You are looking at adding 10-15,000 to the cost. Sac State will be cheaper than UC Davis.
Last edited by Ricky-S on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MT

Post by MT »

Hi Nick, I'm a UOP grad from back in 1989. I was a big dumb football player at the time and didn't really take full advantage of the educational side of the experience. If you can get in it will be a great choice and a business degree from UOP goes along way. It's a small campus as well as beautiful and the class sizes are very small. This is good because anytime you need help with your studies the professors are there to help you as much as you need. And of course, the CA Delta is right here which is pretty good bass fishing :) . You should definitely make a trip down to visit the campus and get a feel for it as well as meet and talk to some professors and advisors. Good luck and study hard.
Mike Thompson
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

The BEST university in NoCal is UC Berkeley!! It's less than an hour from the delta and is world renouned no matter what field you choose to study.

USF is also fairly well known for business as well, it's a bit farther away from the Delta (about 45 miles) and is in San Francisco.

When choosing a college, ALWAYS choose the BEST school ... not where you can play ... you can always play AFTER you finish school!! ;)
Chris
=========================
2004 Ranger 521VX, ETEC250HO
8" Atlas Hydro Plate, 25p Tempest+
Hotfoot/ProTrim/4-bank Dual Pro
2x Blade Series Power Poles
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
Lowrance HDS12 Carbon & Gen3
Ricky-S

Post by Ricky-S »

Yeah I was going to mention UC Berkeley but for the fact that it is nearly impossible to get into unless you have a 4.5 or higher gpa and a 2100 SAT score and 2100 SAT Subject score. My best friend went there while I was at Davis and boy is that an interesting place.

If that's you then there would be no way to turn down UCB if you can get admitted.

As far as fishing, Davis, Sac State, Chico State, UOP (cost a lot) would put you right into the mix without having to be valedictorian of your school. I would also add CSU Hayward into the mix.

You need to get yourself a map of Cali and search colleges near areas that host turnaments. When I went to Davis rarely had to get a hotel for events at Oroville or the Delta.
MT

Post by MT »

Berzerkly is great if you want to sit in a classroom with 500 other students and never speak to your professor or meet him for that matter. And then there's the all the HIPPIES AND COMMIES!! :twisted:
Ricky-S

Post by Ricky-S »

and bums :lol: There some people there left never went home. Plus there is this place called Oakland that is ah next door.
Paul W

Post by Paul W »

201Pro wrote:... you can always play AFTER you finish school!! ;)

You can play in college too, but not with fish :lol:

Paul
Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

I'm biased, but UC Davis has been nothing but great to me.

The town is nice, the school is great, and the cost/quality is outstanding... except as mentioned out of state will increase the fees.

Fishing will be tough to do a lot no matter where you go, but there are always ways to get out and fish backseat or draw tournies.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Steve
Monsterfishingtackle.com
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

STANFORD. Real Estate sucks but the market is down. Best business school in CA and no I didnt go there.
Smitty
Nick_Barr

Post by Nick_Barr »

Thanks guys for your responses, keep em coming.

I heard that if I claim residency after working in CA for 6 months I can claim in-state tuition? As for cost I have one of those GET credit deals and still am looking into if they work for CA colleges.

Also, I am not going to drop tournament fishing, and looking at fishing the College Series and the Stren, or something along those lines.

As for grades, my cumulative is a 3.6 GPA while playing Varsity Football and doing the whole fishing deal, taking AP classes, honors, etc. "All the stuff they say you should take"

Ricky, I will be sending you a PM shortly.
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

MT wrote:Berzerkly is great if you want to sit in a classroom with 500 other students and never speak to your professor or meet him for that matter. And then there's the all the HIPPIES AND COMMIES!! :twisted:
Hey now ... that was during MY tenure only! :)

It's true with the large class sizes in your first couple of years taking general requirements such as Chem1 or similiar ... but as you get into your jounior year and upper division classes, sizes drop dramatically ... goes from 300 to 20! Really ...

As for HIPPIES ... hmmm ... I wish I still had the hair! HAR!!!
Chris
2004 Ranger 521VX, ETEC250HO
8" Atlas Hydro Plate, 25p Tempest+
Hotfoot/ProTrim/4-bank Dual Pro
2x Blade Series Power Poles
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
Lowrance HDS12 Carbon & Gen3
Ricky-S

Post by Ricky-S »

Need to be in CA for a year and one day to claim CA residency. Might want to jump on a plane and get that process started. They look at the date on your CA ID/DL.

You will need to take the SAT 1 and SAT subject for the UC and only the SAT/ACT for CSU.

That 3.6 is in the range for UC Davis and a sure thing for Sac State.
basswipe

Post by basswipe »

I heard UC davis has a brand spankin new bass fishing team that is gonna compete nationally, check it out :lol:
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Berkeley just so you know is characterized wrong here.

If people actually went there they would have a different perspective. The school is ranked #1 (public) in the UNITED STATES for a reason. Just speak to any alumni and you will see what I mean. :)
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
thejerbs

Post by thejerbs »

If you're worried about cost, community college might not be a bad idea. I spent two years at DeAnza in cupertino and then 2 at San Jose State. Not the best business school, but I got a lot out of it. Fished the whole time at SJSU. Plenty of lakes to fish within a 45 min drive and the delta is 1.5 hr. away.

Good Luck!
[img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b304/lobsteeze/putitdown.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.bassturdz.com]bassturdz.com!!![/url]
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

The State and UC system are cuting costs and will only admit top ranking students. If your GPA, SAT/ACT scores, and community service records aren't top ranking, you will find it difficult and/or impossible to get into those schools.

UoP in Stockton is a private school and their support is more for the medical fiels students. They have other majors there but you won't get top level grants and scholarships there.

If you and your family can help bank roll the tuition costs at UoP, that would be your ideal place, IMHO. You're right on the Delta, down the road from Ladd's. Is there anywhere else!?

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
Bob Simard

Depends - Want a good job after graduation?

Post by Bob Simard »

And can you stay focused at one of the biggest party schools in the nation?

http://www.csuchico.edu/cob/

Chico State was one of the first schools in the country to join the SAP university alliance program. (SAP is one of the largest software companies in the world with an integrated software package the runs large companies.) Skills with administering and configuring this software are stll highly sought after. CSU Chico has a great program that is very well regarded in the industry - although I'm biased (I was lucky enough to be in the right place / right time in 1996 and graduated from the program.)

Check it out. Good luck!
JustinD

Re: Depends - Want a good job after graduation?

Post by JustinD »

My choice would be Fresno State. Great education (not to expensive), big time sports programs, great scene, nice city, and lots of lakes close (15 minutes) and the river 2 hrs. north as well as lots of trout fishing and great outdoor access. Try an enology degree or vinticulture and you'll be living in the lap of luxury your whole life.
LL South
Mark Pollard

Post by Mark Pollard »

Stanislaus State in Turlock
Mark Pollard
Coldwell Banker Vinson Chase
www.Teampollard.net For Central Valley Real Estate...
www.gfmarine.com for Nitro, and Skeeter Bass Boats...
www.savephace.com
www.teampollardfishing.com
Ricky-S

Post by Ricky-S »

[quote="gabuelhaj"]The State and UC system are cuting costs and will only admit top ranking students. If your GPA, SAT/ACT scores, and community service records aren't top ranking, you will find it difficult and/or impossible to get into those schools. [quote]

This info is not entirely true. As an administrator in college admissions the UC and CSU will admit more out of state students next year than ever before. Reason being the out-of-state fees will make up for the loss of tax revenue.

With that said, ever school (UC, CSU, Private) each have their own admissions standards based on the applicant pool. for example, UCLA and UC Berkeley are the two hardest UC campuses to be admitted into. Equally, CSU Pomona, San Louis Obisipo, and Long Beach are the hardest CSUs.

UC Riverside and UC Modesto can't afford to turn anyone who meets the minimum admission standards away nor can CSU San Bernardino and Hayword.

FYI
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

I would consider Chico for a CalState school. My oldest is in his second year at Chico. It is a very social school. Of all the Cal States it probably has the most college town feel. My son has a mtn. bike but never uses it to get around town or to class. He lives off campus and usually walks everywhere with his friends. That is a big savings to you or your parents. Another benefit is you aren't tempted to drive home after attending a social gathering serving adult beverages. The housing is very affordable when you compare it to some of the other schools. If you cannot get into the school dorms there are off campus private dorms available.

If you can get into a UC school better still. The budget cuts are making it much tougher to get into any of the UC and State schools and the tuition is going up twice a year. Having said that, California still has one of the most affordable college systems going.

I would suggest going to the best school you can get into and that you like. If it is a good school, but you don't like the school there is a greater chance you will not finish.

Good luck,
Scott
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

If you are looking for a good education with some recreational time, agree with Chico State, good school and safe community to live in.
Berkeley is tough school to get into with expensive housing. Stanford very difficult to get into and very expensive. My son went to Berkeley and I don't recommend it. If you want a post grad business school, then Berkeley's is good choice.
Tom
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

This info is not entirely true. As an administrator in college admissions the UC and CSU will admit more out of state students next year than ever before. Reason being the out-of-state fees will make up for the loss of tax revenue.
Thanks for clarifying that, I did not know that.....

That is sad though. You have a top level California student being denied acceptance but yet they'll take a mid level out of state student. All because of money. Trying to explain to your son/daughter who excelled their who academic life that they were passed over to an out of state student with a 3.5 GPA is going to be difficult on us parents!

If you're paying that kind of money, you are better off attending and graduating from a private school. Do a cost sheet and see how much an education will cost at the end of 4 years between the 2 types of schools. You will see that a private institution is a better investment...

Also, UoP has a guarantee that you will graduate after 4 years. The State/UC system don't offer that.

Glenn
Glenn Abuelhaj
Guyle

Post by Guyle »

gabuelhaj wrote:The State/UC system don't offer that.
Glenn
That's "The State/UC system doesn't offer that." Glenn.

Geeze, where did you go to school?
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

UOP.....no matter how you cut it it's still in Stockton. Just kidding. UOP is a very pricey school. Chico is a fun school. I attended Cal Poly SLO and Fresno State as well as a handful of J.C.'s just feeling my way around the state. Poly was fun and a "true" college town and experience. Chico is also a fun campus and I guess it has reasonable water around it. Still for the real deal college without all the hair pulling and dog eat dog feel that a lot of schools have check Fresno or even maybe Northridge. If I had to do it all Again and be serious I'd go to UC Irvine. Its by far the smartest and nicest school I have even been to.
LL South
dockboy

Post by dockboy »

Hey dude wasup. Im a first year at UCSC. Davis was my first choice, but I was placed on a priority transfer list. There still a alrge chance that Ill will do my graduate student at Davis.

To tell you the truth there is great bass fishing all over this state. Fishing was an aspect when I first applied to school. Thats why Davis was so big for me. But Im really happy with Santa Cruz. Very relaxed and academically focused. I dont see much of the college rat race here. What Im trying to say iss go to school that will appeal to you overall the best. Fishing isnt it all. If you want to go to Davis like I did, give your all dude. This year the UC system is accepting 10% less incoming students this upcoming year. Davis, unfournately, was also impacted in several departments last year, something that may or may have not got me into my school had I changed my major from environmental studies. Do your research dude. It pays. i really was hell bent on Davis till I came to SC. I love it here. Find somewhere you would truly enjoy for more than the fishing. it pays off in the end.
jiggin_pimpin

Post by jiggin_pimpin »

Hey Nick,

I'm glad that you're so proactive in trying to find a perfect school for education and fishing.

I think the school you go to and what you want to major in is really a big deal. Also as important is what you want to do after college. You stated that you wanted to major in business. Mind you there are many types of business majors.

Econ, finance, int'l trade and finance etc.

I will be very honest in telling you that whatever you choose for a career, the school you choose is very important. If you want to do investment banking or private equity, graduating from a top 20 institution (Berkeley or Stanford) will get you farther than SF State or CSU Hayward (I don't mean to offend but it is the truth.)

With that said, a majority of the UC schools have very good business programs and you can't really go wrong if you don't choose either of the careers I suggested. If you do get into a school like Berkeley, I would jump on that. A big time sports program and the ability to be fishing the Delta in a 45 min drive.

You can't really beat that.

Good luck on your search and let us know what you decide.

T
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

What it really boils down to is what you can really afford as to cost of your education.

All of the schools mentioned have their strong and weak points. But are you looking at the glass half full or half empty !?

Berkley, Standford, Davis are all very fine schools, that will leave you some were in dept to about $50-$100 K when you finish your education based on a 5 years time span and with you contributing about $10-15K per year out of your own pocket. Our Governor and previous Governor have pretty much killed the concept of a lower cost Collage eduction and really socked the fees to the students.

As a Dad who has payed for one son who graduated from Chico State Collage and another son who is currently going there I know from first hand that it get very exspensive in a hurry.

This not an attempted to discourage you from seeking a higher education but to enlighten you some as to what you may expect.

I will recommend our State Of CA Collage system as to being one of the best that is out there. And Chico is a great school ! but from my stand point what is wrong so much with the fine collages that you have in your own state ?
Yeah ? It's Me Again, SO WHAT!!!!!
Nick_Barr

Post by Nick_Barr »

It is really the opportunities in WA that discourage me the most. I love E. WA for the fishing, but as for schools, Pullman (WSU) is way out of the way from anything.

UW is great, near my Dad's house, an hour drive from my mom's house, I will be applying there for sure, but I am just not sure that I will want to stay in WA, I have lived here all my life and ready for a change. UW is also getting harder for in-state students as I have heard from friends.

CA has so many different options and is something I have always though about doing. Going to CA looks like it will provide more opportunities.

I am not going to be living in a dorm, as I am looking into apartments and such. I am not going to let go of my boat though, that is for sure.
dockboy

Post by dockboy »

Dude most certainly the CA schools. I was accepted at Boston University. Couldnt afford it. Out of state is expensive. And those out of state schools that offer scholarships are not typically in the upper tiers. Not to say they arent good schools. But in a big wide major like business you'll have a lot of competitors. A top school helps. Stanford, Berkley, and Davis are all within good fishing. So am I here at SC. But if you want a car the first year, look carefully. Here at SC parking is expensive, and under classmen cant park on most the campus. Several schools are like this. Like I said, do your research. Luckily almost every school will have your major. Lots options brah, lots of options
Phil

Post by Phil »

I DON'T KNOW NOW, BUT BACK IN THE 60'S, 70'S WHEN I WAS THERE (CHICO STATE )!!!
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

That's "The State/UC system doesn't offer that." Glenn.

Geeze, where did you go to school?
:oops:

Hillbilly slang taking over again......
Glenn Abuelhaj
RichThiel

Post by RichThiel »

Nick

One of my Son's goes too Humbolt State University. He is in Graduate School going for his Doctorate. He can first hand tell you about the College.

Phone Number for Tim Thiel is 925-321-1855

Good Luck

Rich Thiel
Guide on the California Delta and Lake Berryessa for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spots. Teach all known techniques with up to date artificial baits.

www.calbassguide.com ,

Best 5 over 7lbs for 09
1- 8lb 3oz
2- 10.73
3- 9.06
4-
5-
Steve

Post by Steve »

Well, as we all know fishing is a viable career these days. And if thats what Nick really wants to do with his life then he should choose a school that is located in an area that he can continue to progress with a career in fishing. Obviously he should focus on getting a good degree, but being in a position to work on his fishing career should also be considered. There is no better central location for fishing than the Sacramento area. He could go to Sac State for a year and knock out some basic classes, establish residency, then transfer to UC Davis.

Humboldt state is a good school, thats where I got my graduate degree. But good bass fishing is a very long ways away, you arent exposed to the tournament crowd, and you will spend all your money driving to places to find good bass fishing.

The Sac area is 45 minutes to the Delta and just under two hours to Clear Lake, and these two lakes hold more regional and national tournaments than any in the state. Plus, you are 2 hours from Oroville and just under 3 from Shasta, the other two big tournament lakes. The other great thing about the Sac area is the number of tournament anglers in the area, and getting involved with them at a young age is priceless if its a career in fishing you after.

Choose carefully.
Garrett Mercer

Post by Garrett Mercer »

Good call with any of the Nor Cal Schools..... I almost went up there for college, but ended up staying in San Diego and I just finished my BA in Business Management. SDSU is a great school, but stay up north, not much water down here unless you take the 5 hour drive to Havasu, Mead etc.....Just a bunch of ponds.
TDawg

Post by TDawg »

Hey Nick:

As a recent graduate of California State University, Chico, (Class of 2006) I can tell you first had that it is a top notch college. My degree is in Geography with an option in Planning and Development and I currently work for Contra Costa County in Martinez.

Even though my degree is not in business I did take several business courses; both in personnel management and business management. Chico has a top ranked business school and is very much focused on hands on learning. All of my professors both in Geography and Business classes emphasized a "don't tell me", "show me" approach to lecture and projects. Also, comparative in size to a lot of the UC's in California, Chico is a small school, only about 16,000 students when I was there.

They City of Chico it's self is another awesome place as well. Downtown has a ton of shops, and restaurants, and it also has the 3rd largest park in the County running through it. Bidwell Park goes from the campus all the way up into the foothills about 10 miles. It has a lot of hiking and biking trails that run all over, plus there is a top notch golf course and Big Chico Creek to check out. I proposed to my wife up there, who is also a Chico State Graduate and is now a teacher.

I don't agree that Chico has been labeled by Playboy as a party school. Yes the school does have its moments and a lot does get printed in the newspaper, but don't believe everything you read either. I myself was a Residential Advisor or RA while I was a student. It was a great way for me to get involved and become a part of my campus.

Whatever college you decide on make sure that it is what you want in a school. Don't let anyone try and talk you into a college because they say it is the best. Go to the campus, talk to the students and most importantly talk to the professors. They are the key to any college no matter how big or small it is. Lastly, make sure that you get involved in your college; join a club, fraternity, sport, or something. Heck become an RA and get involved with housing. You will fell much more connected to the campus, if you get involved.

The delta is only about 3 hours South of Chico, and you also have access to Lake Oroville and Lake Shasta up near Redding too.

If you are interested I still have a lot of contact with may of the professors in the Business Department and would be more than happy to give you there email address so you can contact them.

Also check these out too.

http://www.csuchico.edu/
http://www.csuchico.edu/cob/
http://www.theorion.com/

Good Fishing,

TDawg
Matthew Kelley
CSU Chico, Class of 2006
BA in Geography with option in Planning and Development of the Rural Environment
Steve Carson

Post by Steve Carson »

If Chico State ends up being your selection, then be aware that just like UC Davis, they have a brand spanking-new bass team.
Be sure to check that out if you attend, or even if you are just doing the "campus tour" circuit.
Chico also has the world's largest single-day kid's fishing event [Hooked on Fishing] in Bidwell Park, and volunteering for that could add to your "community service" resume.
Nick_Barr

Post by Nick_Barr »

Thanks all for your input and help, it is greatly appreciated.
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

[quote="TDawg"]Hey Nick:

As a recent graduate of California State University, Chico, (Class of 2006) I can tell you first had that it is a top notch college. My degree is in Geography with an option in Planning and Development and I currently work for Contra Costa County in Martinez.

Even though my degree is not in business I did take several business courses; both in personnel management and business management. Chico has a top ranked business school and is very much focused on hands on learning. All of my professors both in Geography and Business classes emphasized a "don't tell me", "show me" approach to lecture and projects. Also, comparative in size to a lot of the UC's in California, Chico is a small school, only about 16,000 students when I was there.

They City of Chico it's self is another awesome place as well. Downtown has a ton of shops, and restaurants, and it also has the 3rd largest park in the County running through it. Bidwell Park goes from the campus all the way up into the foothills about 10 miles. It has a lot of hiking and biking trails that run all over, plus there is a top notch golf course and Big Chico Creek to check out. I proposed to my wife up there, who is also a Chico State Graduate and is now a teacher.

I don't agree that Chico has been labeled by Playboy as a party school. Yes the school does have its moments and a lot does get printed in the newspaper, but don't believe everything you read either. I myself was a Residential Advisor or RA while I was a student. It was a great way for me to get involved and become a part of my campus.

Whatever college you decide on make sure that it is what you want in a school. Don't let anyone try and talk you into a college because they say it is the best. Go to the campus, talk to the students and most importantly talk to the professors. They are the key to any college no matter how big or small it is. Lastly, make sure that you get involved in your college; join a club, fraternity, sport, or something. Heck become an RA and get involved with housing. You will fell much more connected to the campus, if you get involved.

The delta is only about 3 hours South of Chico, and you also have access to Lake Oroville and Lake Shasta up near Redding too.

If you are interested I still have a lot of contact with may of the professors in the Business Department and would be more than happy to give you there email address so you can contact them.

Also check these out too.

[url]http://www.csuchico.edu/[/url]
[url]http://www.csuchico.edu/cob/[/url]
[url]http://www.theorion.com/[/url]

Good Fishing,

TDawg
Matthew Kelley
CSU Chico, Class of 2006
BA in Geography with option in Planning and Development of the Rural Environment[/quote]

WeLL Said Son ~ 8) :wink:

NOW HE HAS BOTH EYE'S WIDE OPEN :!: :roll: :shock: :)
Yeah ? It's Me Again, SO WHAT!!!!!
Ricky-S

Post by Ricky-S »

Great info.

My wife is a city planner and graduated from Cal Poly Pomona with a BS in planning.

It's getting pretty rough with the state budget. Cities and counties are cutting left and right.
drew

Post by drew »

CalPoly SLO, UC Davis, Stanford or Walla Walla.
bassnrod

Post by bassnrod »

Hey Nick,

Here's a couple options I would look at if I were in your shoes right now. If you're looking to save on costs, but want to get out of the Western Washington area, I would consider getting my 2 year degree from a community college. Spokane Valley Community College would be a consideration, and then to complete a business degree, you could transfer to Eastern Washington University. Or, you could consider just going to Eastern for the whole 4 years. Not sure if you've looked at that option, but I'd think that Spokane would be a great place to live for 4 years since it has fantastic fishing opportunities within very short driving distances. Within 2 hours, you can be on Banks, Rosevelt, Potholes, Long Lake, Coeur de Lane (sp?), and a multitude of smaller lakes that are less than an hour from Spokane. Yeah, your fishing opportunities would be limited from late November through Feb., but you could more than make up for that in the fall and the spring. Plus you'd save a ton of money on tuition by not having to pay out of state. Just thought I'd throw that out at ya! ;)

Rod Rinta
Rod
Peter Lloyd

Post by Peter Lloyd »

A business degree from UC Berkeley, Stanford, USC or UCLA will just about guarantee you a job after graduation. Unfortunately, you can't say the same for all the schools in CA. I am not saying that the other schools are bad; I am just being honest. Things have become very competitive in the last couple years, especially in finance. If you want a top business degree, go to a top-ranked school. Certain companies don't even recruit at all the schools.

You may consider going the community college route. You can save money and decide what you actually want to do for a living. It will not be easy, but you can still be admitted to a top-ranked school after two years at the community college.