Ever Ship a Trolling Motor?

split172

Ever Ship a Trolling Motor?

Post by split172 »

If so, who did you use?

How much did it cost you?

I am looking to sell my TM but to ship it its like $140-$150 from so cal to greenville missippi
Gator

Re: Ever Ship a Trolling Motor?

Post by Gator »

Check UPS ground rates for your weight and the size of the box. That sounds AWFUL high for shippin a TM
jaime7819

Post by jaime7819 »

I shipped from cali to florida through UPS ground. Cost me about $100 if i remember correctly. That included them packaging it because i couldnt find a box to fit it in. If you need a box, use those boxes that have two chairs in them unassembled from furniture stores. I think UPS charged me like $35 just for the special packaging.
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

UPS isn't going to be cheap, but of all the standard carriers it will more than likely be the least expensive..If you could find a local trucking company that has a truck going to that area they might cut you a deal for a single shipment..But it might not save you all that much, if any..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
split172

Post by split172 »

I have checked ups and fed ex and they are the ones that charge 140 to 150.
The dimensions of the TM are 60in (L) x 20in (H) x 20in (W), about 55lbs. Going from zip 92833 to 38701
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Your box is to big. Your getting hit hard on the dimensions rate.
Your combined dimensions are 140" which is a lot.
You need to try and get it under 108".
USPS ground (post office) is the cheapest way to go. If you can get the dimensions 108" or less shipping will probably be under $50.

It will be hard to find a box the right size so you will probably need to get a knife and cut it down.

Greyhound ships from terminal to terminal and they used to be reasonable but I haven't shipped with them in years so they could be high as hell like the rest of them.
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

I have them shipped to me all the time from my supplier.

They arrive via UPS and I pay $65 for freight.
And I would assume they are not loosing money on shipping.
basslayer

Post by basslayer »

check boat dealers they have trolling motor boxes thell probably give you. These boxes will get you under the 108 dimensions and save you alot of money. I work at ups and just shipped my trolling motor last year. It was cali to cali but it was around $50. east coast will be more but not close to $150
fishbonz412

Post by fishbonz412 »

I shipped a TM from CA to MN for about $150 using Fed Exp. It is the dimensions that kill you, not the weight. I called a local fishing store that had just received a shipment of TM's and saved me a box and the styrofoam from inside. Good luck.....
--Sometimes it is best to be quiet and be thought the fool than to speak out and remove all doubt---
Team Fugowee

Post by Team Fugowee »

Had two UPS'd Redding to San Luis Obispo. Both were in original boxes unopened. Well they started out unopened. First box was crushed on both ends(dropped) . The top piece where the light should be was down inside the box. The second one was crushed even better(dropped) and the box was split open. Again the top piece was down inside the box. The driver said his supervisor checked it out and said nothing was wrong with it. Yea Right! I was supposed to open it up and inspect it. All I did was put my hand through the 3 foot split and felt that the top was broken. I would have to guess they, UPS people never had anything that wasn't broken, just normal for them.
UPS will make gravel out of a rock packed in foam, it's the challange for them.
FedEx is much better so far.
Take pictures of it as your packing it, step by step. Documentation.
Tightly fasten it to a piece of plywood that fits the box(won't shift).
I built crates for my power heads and lower units so I could ship them. I've had to put a $3,000 claim on one of my power heads that was well crated but the shipping company let it roll off the fork lift. There were pic's of how it left the builder in Alabama. When it arrived the engine was still bolted to the base but the top wasn't.
I don't know enough, to leave well enough alone.