Best way to ship a rod?

biteme

Best way to ship a rod?

Post by biteme »

I know its been posted on here before and I did a search but cant seem to find anything. Whats the cheapest way to ship a rod? Its from California to California.
Gator

Re: Best way to ship a rod?

Post by Gator »

PVC TUBE - BUBBLE WRAP - UPS.
biteme

Post by biteme »

Thanks Gator. I have a tube just looking for the best shipping place. Ups it is, thanks again! Hope all is well.
barse41

Post by barse41 »

whatever you do, do not write fragile on the package, thats UPS lingo for 'release your aggresions on this package'. my ups guy told me to never put fragile on anything.
theres a fine line between fishin and standin on a boat like an idiot
biteme

Post by biteme »

HAHAHA Thanks!
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

UPS NOT. I had a heck of a time dealing with a damaged GLoomis shipped UPS. Waited for their claim process only for them to say "we denied the claim, my supervisor threw the rod away" :shock: Luckily the shipper sent it through an authorized store. They finally paid. USPS Priority is my choice.
Topwater All Day

Post by Topwater All Day »

Fedex is the ONLY way to ship a rod! I just shipped a swimbait rod across the country for under $19!!!

Rob
civicrr

Post by civicrr »

USPS is the cheapest. FedEx is next in price followed by UPS.
Choy L

Post by Choy L »

Gator wrote:PVC TUBE - BUBBLE WRAP - UPS.
Just a little suggestion, instead of bubble wrap inside the PVC tube, buy some of those swimming pool "noodles", slit them on one side and put the rod inside. makes for a snug fit inside the PVC which protects the rod more.. :wink:
CN

Post by CN »

Robert F wrote:UPS NOT. I had a heck of a time dealing with a damaged GLoomis shipped UPS. Waited for their claim process only for them to say "we denied the claim, my supervisor threw the rod away" :shock: Luckily the shipper sent it through an authorized store. They finally paid. USPS Priority is my choice.
Standard answer from UPS on a claim is "Improper packaging" when you get something damaged FROM them.

I know it left in good condition and everything we get in which is about 20-25 package's a day is sold.Why would I want to file a claim if it's not screwed up?

I will tell you though the claim's are very minimal.
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

The thing that blew me away was that they threw away my rod. How do they justify throwing away somebody's property? The only thing that saved us was the shipper took it to a shipping center rather than scheduled pick up.
texas john

Post by texas john »

I shipped six rods to Texas for a fishing trip this past October and just used a heavy cardboard tube. If you have ever bought a rod from BPS its one of those tubes. I then wrapped my rods in an old sheet made them fight nice n tight in the tube and off they went. The cardboard is lighter weight and still pretty strong. I had no problems and they all shipped UPS.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/jtrtexca/usmcsealani.gif[/img]
www.johnrector.yolasite.com
www.pepperjigs.com
jaime7819

Post by jaime7819 »

I shipped a one piece 6 1/2 ft. rod to cabelas last year for $12. Might of been cashier error but i didnt complain?
jaime7819

Post by jaime7819 »

Through USPS.
mvanguilder

Post by mvanguilder »

Rod tube, US mail $22 or Fed Ex. Berserk Baits rod sleeve with a 12" tip protector.

www.fishwrangler.net
www.berserkbaits.com
www.baitbarn.net
biteme

Post by biteme »

I was just worried that because the tube is so big they would try and nail me on some oversize charge. The rod is broken so dont have to worry about the wrap :wink:
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

jaime7819 wrote:Through USPS.
TRUTH!!!! IN PVC Pipe
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
mvanguilder

Post by mvanguilder »

Take it back to the shop you bought it from. Most will ship it back for you, because they might have to ship a few. I know that Randy at Escalon Bait has done this for quite a few people. Manny at the Bait Barn has done the same. Some shops will even give you the same rod off of their shelf and just replace it when they get the other returned. Its good biz.

www.berserkbaits.com
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

FEDEX +1
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
whazup

Post by whazup »

Just received a rod shipped UPS from Pennsylvania. Perfect condition, zero problems.
Austen

Post by Austen »

Choy L wrote:
Gator wrote:PVC TUBE - BUBBLE WRAP - UPS.
Just a little suggestion, instead of bubble wrap inside the PVC tube, buy some of those swimming pool "noodles", slit them on one side and put the rod inside. makes for a snug fit inside the PVC which protects the rod more.. :wink:
thats such a good idea. i cant believe i never thought of that.
biteme

Post by biteme »

Well I went to USPS today to ship my rod. As the lady is looking the tube over shes says your one inch over! I was like what! You cant let it slide? Nope, one inch too much,lol. So I went back to the shop and cut the tube two inches. I get back to USPS and another lady waits on me. She said its too big. I made sure I brought the extra two inches I cut off with me. I pulled it out and showed her. I said look, the other lady said I needed one inch off and I cut two and now your saying its still too big. WTF! So I start getting loud. I guess the other lady heard me because she came out at that time. She told the other lady it was fine. Now they start to bicker back and forth over whos right and if it comes back its her fault. NEVER AGAIN! Next time Ill just go to fedex and be done with it,lol
barse41

Post by barse41 »

biteme wrote:Well I went to USPS today to ship my rod. As the lady is looking the tube over shes says your one inch over! I was like what! You cant let it slide? Nope, one inch too much,lol. So I went back to the shop and cut the tube two inches. I get back to USPS and another lady waits on me. She said its too big. I made sure I brought the extra two inches I cut off with me. I pulled it out and showed her. I said look, the other lady said I needed one inch off and I cut two and now your saying its still too big. WTF! So I start getting loud. I guess the other lady heard me because she came out at that time. She told the other lady it was fine. Now they start to bicker back and forth over whos right and if it comes back its her fault. NEVER AGAIN! Next time Ill just go to fedex and be done with it,lol
and just as you left the first lady went all louisville slugger on the other lady... now you have a two peice.
theres a fine line between fishin and standin on a boat like an idiot
Steve

Post by Steve »

biteme wrote:I was just worried that because the tube is so big they would try and nail me on some oversize charge. The rod is broken so dont have to worry about the wrap :wink:
I sent a swimbait rod and USPS wanted triple what UPS wanted because it exceeded a certain length. Ill never go to USPS again.
Ed Clarke

Post by Ed Clarke »

Go to any Tackle Store, we would be happy to give you the tubes the companies ship the rods to us in. I always have a few laying around. Just remember when shipping wrap the tips in bubble pack and tape both sides of the rods to the interior of the tube to prevent them from moving around. I use UPS to send all my warranty rods, never had a problem.

Ed
Tackle It
Gator

Post by Gator »

barse41 wrote:
biteme wrote:Well I went to USPS today to ship my rod. As the lady is looking the tube over shes says your one inch over! I was like what! You cant let it slide? Nope, one inch too much,lol. So I went back to the shop and cut the tube two inches. I get back to USPS and another lady waits on me. She said its too big. I made sure I brought the extra two inches I cut off with me. I pulled it out and showed her. I said look, the other lady said I needed one inch off and I cut two and now your saying its still too big. WTF! So I start getting loud. I guess the other lady heard me because she came out at that time. She told the other lady it was fine. Now they start to bicker back and forth over whos right and if it comes back its her fault. NEVER AGAIN! Next time Ill just go to fedex and be done with it,lol
and just as you left the first lady went all louisville slugger on the other lady... now you have a two peice.
I told ya UPS.........never had a problem, never lost a rod and have head great pricing from them.......
Keith R

Re: Best way to ship a rod? Long reply...sorry

Post by Keith R »

I have worked for UPS for 24 years. Pack it right, and it will make it. The price is right and if you spend a few extra bucks packing it, take a photo of your packing, claims should not be a problem.
I like the foam noodle idea with the PVC. Only other suggestion I have would be to add a piece of wood inside to support the tube. We have been in business for over 100 years. The size, weight and length our our packages have changed quite a bit in the last 50 years or so, our buildings have not. The conveyor belts, slides and sorting devices were built to handle certain sized packages. Since we have bought a freight company, those larger packages that seem to damage other smaller or (longer, thinner) packages are now starting to fade out of the small package systems. UPS
s claim picture over all is very good. In my facility, if I see an employee handling "YOUR" package improperly, I address it. I will take it as far as terminating an employee for not using our "HAND TO SURFACE" prescribed method. It is a very difficult process to manage. 440,000 employees.
Sorry for the long post......could not stand to read it anymore without defending my company. UPS is the best. Service and price....

Please pass your bad experiences on to either your driver or UPS. I love addressing the issues with the 170 employees that I manage. In these difficult times, you deserve the best service for what you are paying for. I don't make the prices, but I can assure you that the management team and 99% of the employees at UPS get it.

Shipping packages is what we do. Without U, it would just be PS.

Did you hear that UPS and Fed EX may merge?

FED UP! LOL!

Sorry could not resist.
biteme

Post by biteme »

Gator wrote:
barse41 wrote:
I told ya UPS.........never had a problem, never lost a rod and have head great pricing from them.......
I know, USPS is only 10min from me so I thought hey why not. Figures it would bite me,lol. Oh well never again! If the rod wasnt already broken I would have for sure went to UPS. But next time its UPS or Fedex no matter what!