Delta Hazards Thread Renewed

tunaman

Delta Hazards Thread Renewed

Post by tunaman »

I've compiled the relevant posts from the original thread - let's see if we can add to the list?

Please try to keep this on topic and only add specific hazard information? :)

Roger
***DISCLAIMER - this information below was posted last Fall, so may no longer be valid!***
Jim Wilson wrote:I was surfing and came up with this in a thread about hazards in Franks Tract. Check out the thread at www.boatered.com. Just enter Franks Tract in a forum search.

Here are the Latitudes and Longitudes of the duck blind wrecks on Franks Tract...AS THEY APPEAR IN MY GPS. These postions are approximate only. If you hit one it is not my fault. If you do hit one, you know who to call ;)

First blind sunk in the 2003 hunting season
38 02.535
121 36.140

2004 Season
38 02.742
121 35.790

And Last years
38 03.025
121 35.381

The first two are almost never visible above the surface, but I believe they do pose a threat to props, shafts, ect. The most recent is very visible at all tides...currently.

Phil Delano
Vessel Assist/BoatU.S.
SF Bay & Delta
24 hour Salvage & Towing
Ken C. wrote:OK, so here's what hazards we have so far: (all in the format of Nxx xx.xxx / Wxx xx.xxx)

38 02.535 / 121 36.140 - Duck Blind

38 02.742 / 121 35.790 - Duck Blind

38 03.025 / 121 35.381 - Duck Blind

38 02.702 / 121 37.523 - Submerged Piling
Quantum_Kid wrote:I searched San Joaquin Delta hazards map on google and I found a pretty good site that is free. It is

http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/i ... 0060030900

Search San Joaquin Delta and it should say something like Sacramento- San Joaquin Delta, CA Click on that and then scroll over to the Franks Tract area. When you get there, switch to Nautical Chart, and it gives you all of the depths, and shows the different hazards out there. Here is the link of what I am talking about–

http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/i ... ontype=DMS

Scott Trummer
Ken C. wrote:We went out last weekend and found:

38 02.911 / 121 38.659 submerged rock pile at Little Franks heading west from Piper Slough

38 02.911 / 121.38.666 another submerged rock pile at Little Franks heading west from Piper Slough.

I literally put my handheld GPS over the top of these two piles and took a 10X "averaged" reading on the position, so it should be close.
Please do not use these numbers as gospel - this is what I read on my Lowrance Ifinder Pro handheld GPS I have not checked them with anything else, so use your head[/quote]
ken wrote:As R Brown requested, I would like to see some of the hazards in Sherman Lake. I remember some pictures of Leroy Bertelo's boat with the motor hanging of the transom that I believe happened in Sherman. My nautic path chip shows( with the cursor) a hazard at 38 07 .588 /122 00.650 . Also other hazards in Sherman adjacent to the Maberry entrance.
ken wrote:Here are a couple snags visable only at low tide on Franks.
38 03 606 121 35 491
38 03 569 121 35 516
twister wrote:There's a wreck in the middle of the county park located just out of Tower Park Marina. It's big and sharp don't know what it is but it put a good gash in my friend's tin boat before. This was at 5 mph as the speed limit permits. It's visible on low tide but is hidden on some higher tides. According to Maptech it's located:

38" 07' 21"N
121" 29' 25" W

VA_SF_BAY_DELTA wrote:Whem heading away from the 5 zone on Piper Slough, be sure to follow the left bank around that horse shoe bend...don't try to cut across Little Franks Tract.

MikeD wrote:didn't get GPS coordinates on these but here are a couple in the bottom of Mildreds. all coordinates guessed at by me looking at a map and doing a "aaaaaah, right abooouttt there".

1) on the south side in the levee break by the water ski area, on the left side about 10-15' out is a 8" branch/log that sits on its side at about 6" deep. you'll hit it at low tide if you try to go thru on the big motor at low water. I'd put it at about 37.58.3502, -121.31.6474. stay to the right going thru this cut because it gets less than a foot deep at 0 tide on the left side. all the cruisers go thru on the right/east side to avoid the shallow shelf on the left/west.

2) just east of that lower opening is a 1" pipe that sits about 10' off the shore, visible at low tide - (this one is a real WAG) 37.972525, -121.525753

3) further east down the shore there is a metal tower that sticks up out of the water, very visible at all tides - sits up about 5-6' out of the water. between that tower and the shore is a huge metal bucket from a very large backhoe that has the attachment flange sitting just under the surface at low tide. its not an area you'd be on plane at but if you are not paying attention you'll sacrifice some gelcoat

I'll get these coordinates tightened up next time thru.
Jason Wood wrote:Southeast corner by the islands that line Soundmound... Sunken barge that it tied up to the lone tree out there to the north... About 12" underwater at low tide... Pretty darn big too!!!

N 38 01 44.59
W 121 35 24.18
Otay Michael wrote:There were two rebars sticking up out of nowhere over by the exit out to False River from Russo's, to the right of the large island. They were bent over from being hit but I straightened one up (hard to bend in an aluminum boat, the boat moves more than the bar) so folks would have a better view before hitting it!

Those underwater rock islands over by 'the wall', for new folks, are really dangerous. I was amazed how big and unmarked they were. Mindblowing for a new boater hitting that with any speed, and you would because who would expect them so far out?
Last edited by tunaman on Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
tunaman

Re: Delta Hazards Thread Renewed

Post by tunaman »

Let me know if this approach makes sense, then I can replace the original sticky with this one?
Obi-Hub

Post by Obi-Hub »

It might be effective if the title of each thread post was the general location of the Hazard on the body contain the GPS coordinates and general description.

Just a thought :idea:

Obi
~~~Gary "Obi-Hub" Collins
:mrgreen: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :mrgreen:
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Seriously ... There are two poles that are in cut into NORTH Franks from the False ~ that you can only see them on low lide. :shock:

Opened my eyes a 180 so much that I even forgot where they are as I will never go thru that opening again. ... And have met people at Russos that have had thier LU's lost there even on a mid-level tide.

It more than looks good for and entrance as it is 50-60 yards wide -- But those two post were mowed down to the nub's at low tide for some reason way back when......

Another is a 8" valve that is in the open position with 10" of stem or better ..... inside the north cove of Lil' Mandy. Just look for the pipe while you are looking to the south-- and then move at least 25 yards off shore because it is VERY out there from shore where you think it shoud no be to begin with in the first place while in 6' of water undernneath you.

Just sayin............
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

DeltaDan wrote:Here is another inside the north point of Lil' Mandy.

Luke and I came across and on top of it while frog fishing last June and it is wayyyyy out there from the shore even. :shock:

Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Rebar poles sometimes reaching surface, most of the time just below.

Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

I pulled this down as a sticky thread, to make room at the top, as there hasn't been any recent activity.

Roger
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

This may not be valid as it was 3 or 4 years ago, but right outside the entrance to Disco Bay, near the end of one of those little islands, there was some rebar or steel fence posts or the like sticking up...they were visible at low tide, about 1 1/2' to 2' submerged at high tide (on that day anyway)...
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

bump
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

nm
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

this one is for BRIAN :lol:
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

any hazard tips on big break?
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

There were a ton in the OG thread 8)
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Not only inside -- But Outside as well ! :evil:

I have run over the Runway from BB Marina to the opening of Dutch over 100 times w/o no incident - as I always thought it was always safe.

Today on the way back I was coasting the big rollers trimmed down and exiting Dutch heading back to the Marina to pick up the boys to take them back out.... I came across something I have NEVER seen there. And in and instant I was done in. Could not TM in from there with the wind/rollers - and could not take time to look at the damage - I had to get back on pad and then limped in to the Marina once inside the cut.

As hard as I hit it- I was expecting my bielge pump to come on.

Time to call up my Ins. co. for the first time tommorow. -- And the WORST part about it was that I could not take the boys out as I had promissed them. :cry:

Anyone else know what these are ? Is it a wreck out in the middle of the channel ? First glance to my starboard side I thought it looked like a Mangrove Tree. -- And it did not register fast enoufgh. :shock:

You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

thejerbs

Post by thejerbs »

I've seen a pylon lookin thing out to the right of your pink lines on your track. Always a little hesitant going through there. My buddy hit it on a early morning striper trip once.

Whats the damage to the boat?
[img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b304/lobsteeze/putitdown.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.bassturdz.com]bassturdz.com!!![/url]
Todd Dunlap

Post by Todd Dunlap »

My BrothA Dan,i am so glad that you are alright :D but when you hit your head on the windshield like that :shock: Have Kris look after you :wink: :wink: I know you and Coochie had a good day but did they have enough food for you guy's :lol: I am sure the boy's understand too.YOU ROCK!MY BrothA 8)
basscat09

Post by basscat09 »

DeltaDan wrote:Not only inside -- But Outside as well ! :evil:

I have run over the Runway from BB Marina to the opening of Dutch over 100 times w/o no incident - as I always thought it was always safe.

Today on the way back I was coasting the big rollers trimmed down and exiting Dutch heading back to the Marina to pick up the boys to take them back out.... I came across something I have NEVER seen there. And in and instant I was done in. Could not TM in from there with the wind/rollers - and could not take time to look at the damage - I had to get back on pad and then limped in to the Marina once inside the cut.

As hard as I hit it- I was expecting my bielge pump to come on.

Time to call up my Ins. co. for the first time tommorow. -- And the WORST part about it was that I could not take the boys out as I had promissed them. :cry:

Anyone else know what these are ? Is it a wreck out in the middle of the channel ? First glance to my starboard side I thought it looked like a Mangrove Tree. -- And it did not register fast enoufgh. :shock:

BUMP 8)
Jason Wood

Post by Jason Wood »

There are pilings and concrete pillars out there... Run too close to the pilings and you'll hit the sunken pillars for sure...
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Jason Wood wrote:There are pilings and concrete pillars out there... Run too close to the pilings and you'll hit the sunken pillars for sure...

How the hell are you Woody ! You fishing still ??

Slap MoHo upside the head and tell him to give you a free paid personal day off :D ~ and then lets go out in your boat. :wink:

Now that I thought it over today - I always wondered how those grass matts can be so big in the summer time where it is 13' deep.

Now I know .... :cry:

JerbZ- L/U, Prop, (Prop hub I imagine also now ? ) Winsheld, Misc hardware and Team Inaland-Marine is going to lift the boat off the trailor to inspect the hull/transom ~ and do the repairs.

thejerbs

Post by thejerbs »

Ouch Dan. Glad your okay.

I run that area alot during the fall chasing stripers. Always kinda puckered going through there. Anyone got any tips on not hitting something going through there? A few times I've stopped and TMed through the area I've seen pillars out there. [/i]
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Nuttin' but a Live and Learn BrothA Jerbz ..

So we all are daily -- Livin' and Learnin'. Image

Also -- The Spring Female Stipers should be in BB ~ or in Sherman headed up the Sac about now as the male linesiders are milking up river now. :wink:

thejerbs

Post by thejerbs »

yup...I'll learn from your livin' :lol:

I like em green during the spring 8)
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

nm
Jason Wood

Post by Jason Wood »

Doin good Dan... I work 6 days a week so wakin up early for fishin on Sundays is pretty tough... Most of the tournaments are Saturdays anyways, so most are ruled out... Get some in here and there though... Funny, I was just talkin to Ray about 15 minutes ago...

I believe there are more pillars on the bottom closer to the tule island out in the middle there so its a crap shoot goin through there... I try to stay in the 8-9 ft deep range runnin through there now..
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

Can anyone map the area in snodgrass slough that I should caution myself. I sure would not want to hit nothing doing 60mph.

with that accident happening on sunday i would not like it to happen to anyone or anymore of us!

saLTIE- a.k.a Steven
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

Dan,

Sorry to hear about your boat - but glad you are OK and a good thing the boyz weren't in the boat with you!

Last time we launched from BB was the "expensive day" as you might recall. I only wish I had mapped the route we took when we got towed in on my GPS because I know that is a scary area, esp at low tide. I even told the Vessel Assist guy that I was impressed he went right through there without a glitch.

What I do through there (on the rare occasion I go there) is when coming out of the break I stay a bit to the right - kind of between your pink marks and the tree with the tractor/machinery that is below water level. Haven't hit anything yet. . . I suppose the safest way would be to go left towards Lauritzens, around the tule island and in that way.
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
basslayer

Post by basslayer »

great to have this thread back
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Why didnt someone tell me the North Wall from Lil Franks needs to be on a full high tide :x Rubbins Racin