Alarm question

biteme

Alarm question

Post by biteme »

I have a 2008 Opti 115 on my Triton. Today on CL my boat alarmed three times while trying to get out of the water, boat shut down two times. RPM's were at about 3k to 3500. Oil was half full and gas was fuel. Any ideas?
RichThiel

Re: Alarm question

Post by RichThiel »

Unscrew the Oil Reserve cap, Start engine and watch it full. When full, tighten screw or cap.....Alarm's should not sound then and ready to go.

If alarm still goes off. Call Mike Rowe at "Gone Fish'in and he either will tall you how to fix it or look anyway or call Mike VW at C&C's in Sac

Rich
Guide on the California Delta and Lake Berryessa for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spots. Teach all known techniques with up to date artificial baits.

www.calbassguide.com ,

Best 5 over 7lbs for 09
1- 8lb 3oz
2- 10.73
3- 9.06
4-
5-
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

Oil was half full where - on the motor(internal reservoir) or in the boat (main oil tank)?

Water pressure? Temperature?

Did you notice any warning lights on?

Where are you located? If you are looking for a shop and are close to Antioch call Inland Marine. Frank and his crew are very knowledgeable and can help you out.
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
Jeff C.

Post by Jeff C. »

If I were you I wouldn't run your motor again until you have it looked at. Sure it's a bummer to have to cancel a fishing trip but a blown powerhead is an even bigger bummer.
biteme

Post by biteme »

The 115 has a built in oil tank. I have no temp or water pressure gauge. I guess Ill give mike at cap city a call Tuesday.
Cesar L

Post by Cesar L »

I have the same motor...when mine does that I have to put it in reverse and give it some throttle. debris gets stuck in the water hole. If thast doesnt fix it take it to capitol City and mike v will get you hooked up.
biteme

Post by biteme »

Cesar L wrote:I have the same motor...when mine does that I have to put it in reverse and give it some throttle. debris gets stuck in the water hole. If thast doesnt fix it take it to capitol City and mike v will get you hooked up.
Ok found stuff stunk in the hole. How can I get it out? I tried the reverse thing. Can I just push it in all the way? Will it then blow out?
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

Use a hook and pick away at it. The wood will break up and it should be o.k. You can also use a small drill bit by hand and work it loose. USE ONLY THE BIT AND NOT THE DRILL .
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

Where did you find the debris - at the intake or at the "pee hole"? Generally you would not want to push it in since that will only create other problems. If on the intake side then figuring out a way to backflush it would be best. If on the oulet side then just hook up the "earmuffs" and flush it out with the aid of a fine wire or paperclip.
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
biteme

Post by biteme »

Its on the intake side. Ill pick at it tomorrow and see what I can get out. How hard is it to hook up a water pressure gauge on this motor?
twister

Post by twister »

biteme wrote:Its on the intake side. Ill pick at it tomorrow and see what I can get out. How hard is it to hook up a water pressure gauge on this motor?
I don't have your motor but I did have an older 4 cylinder Merc 115 hp before and that thing would clog up like you wouldn't believe. More than one occasion, the water pickup clogged due to the thick vegetation in Franks. In each case I shut it down and let it cool off before moving again. This problem is inherant of all Mercs. A Merc pees like an old man with prostate issues and a Evinrude pees like a young kid. The small impeller just does not put out enough. The best way to remove any clog is to back flush the system. I have a hose attachment port on the back of my 200 hp EFI. The reverse trick is only to remove debri that is attached to you skeg or prop. It does not relieve any cooling passages.

Is there any indication on your boat that suggest what is causing the alarm? The most common alarms are overtemp, low oil, and water in the gas. I suspect overtemp because most owners can visually see this condition--and you don't have an water pressure gauge on board.

I would suggest adding a water pressure gauge. There are kits you can buy from Teleflex or Merc to add this feature. Of coarse you need to drill a 2" hole somewhere on your dash. The Lowrance Network can also show temperature of the motor if you add the module. Either way you should add some warning or temp monitor to your boat before you blow the engine.
biteme

Post by biteme »

Took the advice and used a hook,lol. I got it out! It was small but I could see how it would plug it. Now if it Alarm's next time out then Ill know it wasnt that. Thanks guys for the suggestions. Next Ill be adding a gauge.
civicrr

Post by civicrr »

I would second ( or is it third) getting the water pressure gauge. I would also suggest a water temp gauge. My boat has a Smartcraft monitor which is great.

Research I have done indicates that water pressure & motor temp. are more critical on the Opti than some other motors. Now before you all assume I am Capt Obvious, you should look up some info. :D

These motors run very tight piston/cylinder clearances. Folks have blown motors not only overheating them but also not warming them in cold water conditions.