Whatever happen to common courtesy?

drlahman

Whatever happen to common courtesy?

Post by drlahman »

A few of my buddies and I were talking about this and relating stories about it last night. Seems lately (and its been getting worse) guys have no courtesy when it comes to water and distance. I'm not only refering to cutting in front of guys when they are covering water on the trolling motor either. I'm refering to the few clowns, yes I called you clowns, that are running full bore on the water, cutting corners tight and comming extremely close to guys fishing. Just 2 weeks ago I was on the delta. This clown is flying down the river, he passes my boat while I'm on my trolling motor, at about 20 ft. Waked the crap out of me, I dang near flipped out of the boat. I just don't understand this behavior. This I know is going to get some griping going on this point. When a guys working a area, whats a good distance to keep from them. Whats considered to be courteous? Friend of mine was fishing Clear Lake this past weekend when he had someone cut right in front of him and drop lines. He said the guys told him they were fishing a money tournament and tough s**t, he didn't own the water. That is just plain rude.
drrakruz

Re: Whatever happen to common courtesy?

Post by drrakruz »

This is the society we live in today....the me/my society. You mentioned two clowns pulled up and started fishing somebody else's water. Bottom line is that our economy is in the tank. When it comes to $$$$, greed and survival mode kick in. We have regressed from a country with morals and ethics to a caveman mentality. It's the same everywhere you look. Political corruption, mis-management in government...the list goes on for days.

I work with high school kids on a daily basis. I've seen the attitude and focus of grads plummet since I graduated in 1982. There is no book on how to raise kids. Kids today have more rights than the teachers. Technology has taken over the teens, not to mention adults. They want instant gratification. They lack patience and want everything yesterday. How do you fix that problem? I hear where you're coming from. Until parents take control of their children, this is the reality that we are going to have to deal with for a long, long time.

Rise above it and be the example. You may reach a few clowns. :wink:
Sponsors:
M & M Marine, Lincoln, CA
[img]http://www.evolutionmarine.net/images/mercury.logo.gif[/img]
PLAY HARD AND FLOOR IT!!
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Bottom line, is with children, parents do not parent anymore, they want the school and others to teach the little darlings. Then the lawyers and courts take the power away from the schools, so they can not touch or control the kids, so guess what.
As for adults, as mentioned it is the me-isum attitude. Just plain selfish and who cares about you attitude.
With the economy and people having more and more problems, I am afraid that you will see people, in general, getting worse. Also they just do not and can not show good grammar, again because they do not care who is present, every other word is F-this, etc. Sad, Sad. Bill K :(
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
RMARX

Post by RMARX »

OMG! This is hilarious coming from a guy who wanted to punch out a senior for touching his boat! :shock: :shock:

I agree some guys have no clue and think the water belongs to them and them alone! If people would use common sense and common courtesy on the water everyone could be happy. I am getting sick of having to fish like the road warrior in tournaments because guys can't find thier own water and have no quams about moving right in on top of you and then get pissed if you ask them nicely to back off!
smittyfish

Post by smittyfish »

I fished Pyramid last Saturday. I was cranking down a bank when 2 older guys just cut in front of us and started worming. You can't blame that on young people. I was disgusted and moved elsewhere. Common courtesy isn't very common any more. I don't care what age.

Parents need to be parents. They are too worried about being their kids best friends. I always loved and respected my parents and they never neglected me. They also took me behind the wood pile when I needed it. But the parents are just as bad as the kids nowadays.
drrakruz

Post by drrakruz »

RMARX wrote:OMG! This is hilarious coming from a guy who wanted to punch out a senior for touching his boat! :shock: :shock:
Dude, we are all entitled to a bad day here and there. Nobody's perfect and I don't hold grudges. I can't believe you would even mention this a month past the incident. :roll: :roll: By the number of responses to the thread, I wasn't the only one who felt like belting the guy. Move on.........
Sponsors:
M & M Marine, Lincoln, CA
[img]http://www.evolutionmarine.net/images/mercury.logo.gif[/img]
PLAY HARD AND FLOOR IT!!
CharleyA

Post by CharleyA »

Typically what happens is in certain areas is guys fishing tournaments run into guys who are not.

Guys who are in the tournament should politely ask if the other boat is also in the/a tournament. If the answer is no then, if asked nicely, I would hope the non-tournament boat concedes the area as I would do the same for a guy spending his hard earned money tryin' to make a buck or two back in this extremely expensive sport.

If the other boat is in a tourney then back off and let them fish thru their stretch first.

This system of proper communication and respect usually avoids any problems between multiple boats in an area.
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

I think there have always been buttholes in the world. I meet courteous people young and old on the water. We were fishing a tourney at Alamo a few weeks ago working a rock wall and catching fish. Another boat ran up and pulled 25 feet in front of us and started fishing the same direction. Two guys in their 30s and we casted right on the back of their boat until they said something then let them have it. Basically told them their moms would be ashamed of raising such morons. They left and were embarrassed and never saw them at the weigh-in. Doesn't happen too often over here.
lowerider

Post by lowerider »

I think you guys hit it on the head as far as the parents setting the example. I know this isn't fishing related but my wife and I took our 2 year old do Disneyland 3 weeks ago. I was amazed at how many times we were standing in line to see Mickey,Goofy,Donald,etc. and some parent would try to slide around the line and push their kid up first. It was unbelievable how classless some people are. After loudly stating "THE LINE STARTS OVER HERE". They play dumb like they didn't know the other 15 kids standing there were in line. Great parenting! I wonder how those kids are going to turn out with damn morons for parents. Sorry for the rant but I also believe it starts with the parents or lack of.
Brian Ruthman

Post by Brian Ruthman »

I fished a tournament the other week at Oroville and one of my spots that produced some good quality fish in Pre-Fish for me had anglers fishing on the bank both days of the tourney , when i arrived first thing in the morning . :shock: No matter how bad i wanted to fish that spot i didnt stop and knew i could catch some quality fish off it in the tourney , i just never stopped even if they were not in the tournament , they were there first . :) I really feel like it cost me a check but that is the way it goes . I have talked to some guys and they told me i should have pulled in like i owned the place , but i wouldnt have felt right about that .....its not how i roll .
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

[/quote]This clown is flying down the river, he passes my boat while I'm on my trolling motor, at about 20 ft. Waked the crap out of me, I dang near flipped out of the boat.

Thats the river....excitement......Just wait til ya see the new bigger wakes from the NEw prototype surfing boat.....5-6 ft.+.......
LL South
Nitro5150

Post by Nitro5150 »

Before I turned pro, the very last day I fished as non-boater was a BASS event at Clear Lake. I was fishing with Zack Thompson. Zack pulls up to a spot, catches 3 or 4 nice fish, including one that culled him up. Then 3 dudes in an old open bow water tanker pull right up next to us. they drop a giant anchor with a giant chain over the side, noisy as hell, crack open some beers and start crappie fishing! less than 50 feet away. :evil: :evil: I told Zack I was gonna start yelling some s#%& at them, and He quietly tells me that they have just as much of a right to fish there as we do. I was stunned. :shock: Zack starts asking them about the crappie bite, and fished the last 20 minutes of the day talking to these guys. I moved to the front of the boat the next year, and I have never forgotten how Zack handled some rude dudes. It was a good lesson on etiquette from a very talented angler.
biteme

Post by biteme »

I fish a lot of local lakes, Oroville, Folsom and at times CL. CL has by FAR been the worst for this. Last weekend I had a guy pull 100 yards in front of me and point the boat right at me. We came head to head and he was mister nice guy. Cracks me up, you pull a move like that then expect me to be friendly. I dont think so.
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

I don't think anyone should be asking anyone else to leave a spot. If someone is on your spot and you're in a tourney, that's all part of it. You have to deal with other fisherman. I wouldn't ever tell someone to leave a spot nor would I leave if asked.
Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

RMarx I was thinking the same thing
Monsterfishingtackle.com
Andy Lippert

Post by Andy Lippert »

Here's a scenario....You're fishing a tullie berm, and here comes some "a$$hole, butthole, jacka$$, dumba$$ or whatever other name you wanna call him" 50 yards in front of you. He's fishing, "YOUR SPOT!" How do you know that you're not fishing "his" spot? This is all a joke, and while yes, every generation has a problem with the youth of the "new" generation, there are "a$$holes" of all ages. We all just need to preach AND practice respect for everyone. There's no need to get all heated out on the water, just keep on fishing, and get on with it.

Andy Lippert
sker13

Post by sker13 »

CL has by FAR been the worst for this.
I Agree! I have never had so many boats come in on me or so close. Seems that there is a anything goes attitude there. Try fishing reaction baits on Henderson in the morning they just come in and park 25-30 yards ahead of you ( I could have easily hit their boat with my DD22 ) and then you go around them and it happens again and again. I know it is a community hole but geez if there are already 5 boats on it I would go somewhere else. These jokers treat it like a parking lot. If there is a space they will pull in front of you and park!
There's One, Sterling
Hardcore Bass Apparel
hcbass.com
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

super spook errant cast = education
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
tenja

Post by tenja »

I'm probably in the minority on this board, as I am not a tournament angler (not yet anyway), so my take may not be too popular.

I don't care if you are in a tournament or not, give the people room. everyone has a right to the lake, including bank fisherman and the occasional crappie fisherman. The lakes are big enough to spread out.

How close is too close? I would say that if the next boat can hear you when you talk normally, you are too close. No one "owns" a stretch of the lake. Doesn't matter if you are headed in any particular direction towards something either. If a boat is far enough away, anyone should be able to fish a spot. Doesn't matter if some tournament guy was generally going to get there in another 10 minutes or not. It's all public water. I personally don't care if you spend money on an entry fee or not. You do not have the right to be rude to other fisherman. You have no more right to be there than anyone else.
I'm a rookie
BassinDan

Post by BassinDan »

Try this the next time a boat is close enough to talk to.....Hows it goin? Doing any good? Ask them what their intentions are. I've sat on a spot all day and had boats come in to check it out and then leave, some stick around for a while. Sure, it bothers me, I may even quietly complain to my partner, but, we're all out there trying to do the same thing ( to have fun ). How much fun are you going to have if you get all pissed off and have a not so positive encounter with another boat. There is no such thing as your/my water. That's reality folks. I've even made a few friends this way. I've even picked up a few good techniques, not because i was spying but because i was polite and they offered help. You never really know who you are going to meet on the water, and by that I mean, are you going to yell at Gary Dobyns, Kent Brown, or many, many other great fishermen out there, some you may not even know? Or are you going to politely stand your ground and maybe make a friend? I've made mistakes on the water, got too close to somebody that was fishing and I was on plane. I didn't see them until it was too late and I didn't want to come off pad and make it worse. We were intending on fishing the same general area and I was in a hurry. A little while later I was close enough to apologize for the wake and he said it's ok man it happens. We shared water and conversation all day. Get over it, be nice on the water and go fishing.
Dan Kornegay

Tackle It
Maverick Premium Fishing Lures
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

I basically agree with you and my partner was really the person who was ticked off. I will yield in most situations but don't let people spit right in my face too often. Sometimes you need to stand up or the really bad ones just keep pushing everyone around. 99% of the people I get close to are very decent and there are no problems.
Sinjin Kim

Post by Sinjin Kim »

As with most things in life, a person can't make everyone happy.
If one is involved in a tournament, he or she should abide by the guidelines set forth by the tournament organization.

As long as an angler is within the guidelines, other recreational and/or tournament anglers have nothing to say and if they decide to express their thoughts out verbally, then I think that is being outright rude.

How can someone yell/blame another angler when he or she has not broken any rules and merely broke "rules" that are in the minds of those who are cut-off. I wonder how many people have double standards- "If someone cuts me off, they are assholes but if I cut someone else off, I am not in the wrong because I didn't break any rules."

Fishing should always be about relaxation and fun FIRST as well as safety. I personally wear thick skin and just ignore those who have chose words for me. Yes I've been in situations where I wanted to handle things the old fashion/thuggish ways but life is too short for such B.S. and it is always best to not take things personally.

Here are my standards:

If someone is working a bank with reaction baits and is moving relatively quickly, I will go behind him and fish since I normally like to work areas slowly/methodically. On the other hand, if another boat is slowly working the bank flipping/pitching, I have no problem "cutting" them off roughly 100 feet ahead of them.

"My water" this and that is a bunch of horse **** if you were to ask me. It doesn't matter if it is KVD himself fishing a tournament or a group on a pontoon fishing for trout or crappie. Unless it is private property, the water/spots are free for anyone. As for getting too close to another tournament participant, read the RULES THOROUGHLY. For FLW events, unless a boat is anchored, another boat can fish practically a stone's through away from another boat.

FLW RULE-

"Contestants may fish anywhere on tournament waters available to the public and accessible by boat, except areas designated as “off-limits,â€
bonsaibp

Post by bonsaibp »

tenja wrote:I'm probably in the minority on this board, as I am not a tournament angler (not yet anyway), so my take may not be too popular.

I don't care if you are in a tournament or not, give the people room. everyone has a right to the lake, including bank fisherman and the occasional crappie fisherman. The lakes are big enough to spread out.

How close is too close? I would say that if the next boat can hear you when you talk normally, you are too close. No one "owns" a stretch of the lake. Doesn't matter if you are headed in any particular direction towards something either. If a boat is far enough away, anyone should be able to fish a spot. Doesn't matter if some tournament guy was generally going to get there in another 10 minutes or not. It's all public water. I personally don't care if you spend money on an entry fee or not. You do not have the right to be rude to other fisherman. You have no more right to be there than anyone else.

+1
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

All of our water is public but 25 feet is a bit close. Rude is still rude and anyone can do that as long as they can back it up. We didn't narc the guys out and get them disqualified on the tournament 50 foot rule but I have no problem facing off when someone is an ahole on the water or anywhere else. Guess we are still kind of unevolved over here.
sker13

Post by sker13 »

If a boat is far enough away, anyone should be able to fish a spot. Doesn't matter if some tournament guy was generally going to get there in another 10 minutes or not. It's all public water. I personally don't care if you spend money on an entry fee or not. You do not have the right to be rude to other fisherman. You have no more right to be there than anyone else.
I don't think some of you get it! If you jump right in front of someones line and don't show "common courtesy". You are the one being rude. Not the person who calls you on it. "I don't personally care" attitude is a great way to get in a confrontation. You can always run into someone badder than you! "Put it on the bank Bitch I'll mount your boat" This is an example of what I have personally witnessed. Maybe that is what it takes for some people to learn. I'm out there to have fun and would rather show someone common courtesy. If someone was there first fishing up to a point I would'nt jump infront of them on the end of the point. Obviously some here would and that is just not "courteous" even if it doesn't belong to them and it is public water. Find another spot! There is plenty of water! Get it?
There's One, Sterling
Hardcore Bass Apparel
hcbass.com
j10b

Post by j10b »

Id cut back in front of them and run in circles down the bank and tell them ENJOY! Then report them to their TD and get em DQed for unsportsmanship
CN

Post by CN »

This subject alway's come's up.

First off the matter of whether it's your water or mine as far as I know it's open to anyone on a Public Waterway. It does not matter if you have money on the line or a DFG Permit.

Second as far as someone fishing a tournament comeing up slow and asking to fish the area sure. If that's the only spot I have then I'm the one in trouble.

I just dont fish on weekend's anymore.

Mike
robertthornton

Post by robertthornton »

it seems to me you are just a big baby. I'm looking forward to what you have to cry about next week.
not4un

Post by not4un »

I can tell you exactly what the problem is since I work in a field that has 1st hand experience w/problem people. Their parents didn't Whoop their a$$ like they should have when they were younger. I got my butt whooped plenty of times and turned out pretty darn good. I am a 911 dispatcher and take multiple calls on people wanting the cops to raise their kids. I even had a lady call saying she couldn't control her 4yr old said he would hurt her. It is not illegal to spank your kids just don't abuse them
CN

Post by CN »

not4un wrote:I can tell you exactly what the problem is since I work in a field that has 1st hand experience w/problem people. Their parents didn't Whoop their a$$ like they should have when they were younger. I got my butt whooped plenty of times and turned out pretty darn good. I am a 911 dispatcher and take multiple calls on people wanting the cops to raise their kids. I even had a lady call saying she couldn't control her 4yr old said he would hurt her. It is not illegal to spank your kids just don't abuse them
BS: I came from the Era where Dad told you to go out and pull a branch off the Tree your going to get a spanking. Well that first branch was the little switch that hurt like Hell so the second one was a big branch.

Well Dad didnt hit me with that one just looked me in the eye and talked to me like a man and every since then it's all made sense.

Mike Nance
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Common courtesy has pretty much gone the way of common sense..It is rare to find either in daily activities..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Hillbilly in Cali

Post by Hillbilly in Cali »

If common courtesy and common sense were so common we probably wouldn't have this problem. If it is public water who ever is there first is there first, money on the line or not. I would look at the situation from the view of would I get mad if someone done to me what I am gettng ready to do to this guy. Not every guy is the same so reactions will be different. If you decide to park it on the bank and take care of things, don't be upset if you go home with a dotted eye and bumps on your head.
Please don't get off !!!
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

well said doesnt matter whether your a tourney angler or weekend joe, show some courtsey and respect. if in doubt ask. if you ask, most anglers will let you get in closer and some may even move out of the way.
Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"
g-man

Post by g-man »

Funny thing is I have come across more Prick bassfisherman then anyone else on the water. LOL

Just a couple weeks ago I was fishing at the Delta, and this wakeboard boat comes our way. As he sees us he slows and passes. I was like WOW, then 2 minutes later a bassboat comes flying by us on pad. Now thats funny. This was a narrow channel we were fishing.

Treat others the way you wish to be treated. No matter what kinda boaters they are (weekend fisherman, tourney guy, or recreational boater) They all have the same right to be on the water...
100% LL
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

g-man wrote:Funny thing is I have come across more Prick bassfisherman then anyone else on the water. LOL

Treat others the way you wish to be treated. No matter what kinda boaters they are (weekend fisherman, tourney guy, or recreational boater) They all have the same right to be on the water...

So True G-Man....
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

A couple of weeks ago I had an encounter with some fellow tourney anglers. Me and my friend were parked on the bank, casting out to a SMALL rock pile. We had been parked there for around 15 minutes and gonna finish up the day there.

I'm sure you can see what's coming. Some fellow competitors come in off plane and settle about 75 yds away. I watch and say nothing in dismay as they come right on top of us. We are quite visible. Now there was only a few minutes left and there was nothing happening, so instead of just jumping down there throats as they approached, I said nothing until they were past this little rock pile. I asked, "are you guys in the tourney"? The reply was "yea". So I ask, "isn't there a no encroachment rule"? The reply was "no, not as long as you work it out with the other boat". I got real sarcastic at this point, because there was no attempt to "work it out with the other boat". It got ugly from there with the big mouthed kid in the back of the boat.

My point is, had these guys at least even acknowledged us and may be a "do you care if we join you?". Rather than coming in like you own the place whispering who knows what, I think we would of all been friends rather than it getting as ugly as it did.

To this day, from what I understand, they will not even admit they did anything. That's a huge problem that we won't solve here. Use friendly words, we'll all get along better.
I had to come back...I know...
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

drlahman wrote:A few of my buddies and I were talking about this and relating stories about it last night. Seems lately (and its been getting worse) guys have no courtesy when it comes to water and distance. I'm not only refering to cutting in front of guys when they are covering water on the trolling motor either. I'm refering to the few clowns, yes I called you clowns, that are running full bore on the water, cutting corners tight and comming extremely close to guys fishing. Just 2 weeks ago I was on the delta. This clown is flying down the river, he passes my boat while I'm on my trolling motor, at about 20 ft. Waked the crap out of me, I dang near flipped out of the boat. I just don't understand this behavior. This I know is going to get some griping going on this point. When a guys working a area, whats a good distance to keep from them. Whats considered to be courteous? Friend of mine was fishing Clear Lake this past weekend when he had someone cut right in front of him and drop lines. He said the guys told him they were fishing a money tournament and tough s**t, he didn't own the water. That is just plain rude.
Ongoing problem with all water sports. This could be the fact that a operating license isn't required for operating a private boat, no harm no foul. You put together fast boats and young people, you are going to have some problems until they learn from experience the rules on the water apply to everyone. You should of spoke to them calmly and explained that they are violating your space, tournament rules and generally acting with unsportsmen like behavior, followed up with a complaint to the TD.
The rule at one time was 200 feet, can you imagine trying to enforce that today.
Tom