Lake Shasta Camping/ fishing

acm95301

Lake Shasta Camping/ fishing

Post by acm95301 »

In May, I hope to go on a 3-4 day camping trip at Lake Shasta. Primarily a family vacation, I hope to get alot of fishing in too.

I would like any recomendations or warnings about the area.

Thanks.

If you have recomendations for better places..feel free.
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
GW

Re: Lake Shasta Camping/ fishing

Post by GW »

Fawndale Resort = Great Place to stay.
Leroy_B

Post by Leroy_B »

+1 for Fawndale resort.
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

is Fawndale tent camping? or a cabin type thing.

I'm hoping for either a scenic...(non crowded..lol) campsite or something similar.
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Do you know if you wish to camp on the Sac River arm, McCloud River Arm (My personal favorite at the Ellery Creek CG ) or the Pit River arm.

And how primative do you wish to camp ??

Ellery Creek is Awesome if you wish to climb rock walls to dive off of and fish off of. It is 22 miles from the nearest phone though and 12 miles from the nearest ramp.

~~~> http://www.lakeshastaaccess.com/ellery_ ... ground.htm

Just make sure you have NOTHING in your boat and scent it down with Pinesol -- 'Cause the bears will swim out to it and tear it all to pieces for some Oreo crumbs even !! Image
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
beckty

Post by beckty »

i stay at holiday harbor www.lakeshasta.com. They have about 30 sites, 28 or so with full hook ups and 2 tent sites. they have showers and laundry and a private launch and boat dock. and if the water is high enough they have a swimming hole with a dock that floats out in the middle of the cove. i'll be heading there tomorrow and ill be there until the 9th of may. i go there every year at this time and this is where i stay.
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

Thanks for the great info so far.

My wife, 5yr old son and I would like tent camping,but able to park car and boat nearby. Hoping for access to water and bathrooms. And a fire ring. Nearest boat ramp isnt much of a worry 12 miles doesnt sound bad at all. I plan to bring food in, so any special bear precautions would be great..I also plan to cook so a fire ring is nice.

Aside from that an ideal spot would be as remote as possible, as green as possible, and near some sort of water...creek, river or lake.

Despite the concessions on amenties, I personally prefer real camping and want to do the best I can.

I've camped a couple times at pine crest lake and enjoyed myself...and in my younger day's I was a white water raft guide, and camped on the merced and middlefork of the american river alot. I've also camped on the s. fork american and the san lorenzo river. most of these experiences were either private property or dispersed camping situations.
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

So far Ellery creek and lake shore east are the front runners.
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

ACM- Ellery Creek really is a Beautiful CG. The fishing can be off the hook there as well for SM's and Trout on 4" worms ...... Or it can be dead waiting for the sun to finally shade the West bank and cast shadows on the water.

It is along way from any modern conviences like a phone/ice/ice cream for the kids/beer for myself/whatever the wife wants .... Every other 2and/3ard day to get fresh veggies, ice and milk works out good for a trip.

The wildlife is incredible there- Bears (full lockers), deer, turkeys, Bald Eagles, Alligator Lizzards that will bite your thumb off when you grab them wrong .. ect And the endless suppy of berry's start comming into season June/July at the creek side of the CG.

A very very cool thing is that you are only 3-4 miles from the McCloud River Bridge were you can watch Big Browns cruise from above .. and then 2 more miles on the other east side you can park and take a small hike to the spelunking caves. It is gated off now for decending down to the pool - But the main cave is still Way Way cool enoufgh already along with the views of the river/lake. If you are competent and wish - you can pick up a key from the Rangers with proof of proper equipment and a waver to make that decent. (there is alot of graffiti down there now and broken stagmites/stalgtites for self doing it)

For a day trip on the McCloud arm you can take the Shasta Caves tour that is guided ... and you get there via a boat across the lake. ~ Really cool for a 5 yr old .. and an awesome 3 hour tour inside the caves for a reasonable price. -- Give it a Google and see what you come up with.

Cheers,
Dan
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

That sounds like a winner. Thanks DeltaDan and everybody else.
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

All scheduled for May19 thru leaving on Friday 22. $58.02
(NRRS - 1.877.444.6777)

The Shasta Caverns tour was 22 dollars each with discounts for kids.Contact Lake Shasta Caverns for more information: 530.238.2341
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
LONGHORN65

Post by LONGHORN65 »

ELERY CREEK is a good choose for lake camping with a tent or some kind of rv. you have the best of two worlds, you can fish the lake for bass and trout, or beings the trout season is open you might want to fish the Mc Cloud RIVER up from the camp ground a short ways for trout, maybe get a nice brown. theres some big ones around there. theres rest rooms and i believe theres fire pits, not real sure about that . you can pull your boat right up to the camp ground, there is no docks there. its really good fishing up there when the lake level is up. im not real sure where the water level is up there right now.the bears are a problem like they say, keep things locked up. i pulled a house boat up on the bank there for the night , and a bear came aboard and dragged a ice chest up on the bank and had him self a beer and a gallon of milk on me, My new ice chest was junk when he was done .
ragtopped

Post by ragtopped »

The campgrounds are all pretty nice. Elery creek is sweet. Hirz bay is nice if its open it has a ramp too. Keep all food in the lock boxes because if a bear comes he'll tear apart the car, tent, or anything. If you are smart and aware you shouldnt have problems with the bears.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

To Cool ACM !

Do you happen to know what camping spot you are in by chance ??

You are Absalutely gona LOVE your time there !!

Also the last time I was there I trolled (Water was alot higher) a Golden Cripple Lure (or something named similar :? ) And we killed the trouts in less than an hour for 14 and only kept 8 to eat.

North of the McCloud Bridge and before the rock waterfalls is a pool... and there is a yellow house/cabin just to the west of the hole with it's own creek that rins into the hole.
Last edited by DeltaDan on Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

#7 and 8 were available....I didnt know any better so I picked 8.
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

#8 - #12 with possibly #19 ARE FRICKEN AWESOME !

You will get the most shade durring the above sun durring the day - and will have a full view of the lake from your kitchen table.

#13-#18 have no shade at all till 1400-1500.

You did Very Good Bro ! Hope you have a GREAT time and post some pic's up !!

PS- There is a "possability" that you can launch your boat over by spot #19 as well - Right at the Creek. I have done it with my '14 Klamath the last time we were there.

PSS- Bring some Pine-Sol in a spray bottle -- and give your car/truck a light spray on the windows, doors and back window of your shell if your truck has one before lights out.

FishaHallic

Post by FishaHallic »

DeltaDan wrote:#8 - #12 with possibly #19 ARE FRICKEN AWESOME !

PSS- Bring some Pine-Sol in a spray bottle -- and give your car/truck a light spray on the windows, doors and back window of your shell if your truck has one before lights out.
??
Florida transplant, miss my Bass fishing
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

It will help mask whatever the bear pick's up for scent from inside your vheicle .. and keep them from popping out your windows. Believe it or not- they even know what a bag of chips looks like by sight !

I slept nightly with a .357, .45 and a .44 while inside the tent there "Personaly" durring the summer months (A .38 SPL in +P Hollow Points will work as well :wink: ) ... And the dog inside the tent was almost almost always my first warning.

Had a bear sniff the inside of the top Canopy of the tent once - But never took it's claw to rip it open.
I was waiting for the first claw to Rip that tent open ~ for me to then unload on it.... But that bear pulled out instead.

Keep the Dog Food inside the lockers as well once the dog is done eating.

FishaHallic

Post by FishaHallic »

Got it, this bear thing is new to me :D .
Florida transplant, miss my Bass fishing
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

Great stuff guys. I'll definetly try the pine-sol trick.....Last year I camped at Pinecrest twice and had a great time, but the wife was game to try something new. I've been looking at last years fishing reports and am very excited to get there.

Cautionary tales about bears swiming out to the boats or being aggressive to get food, gives me some pause. I don't own a gun, so I'll have to get creative.....

I've got dogs, not sure they would be of much help......
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

I'd imagine that my bucket of fish attractants will be a problem. I'll have to bring that ashore.

I wonder if my scented soft plastics willl be an issue?
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

I have a 16ft bass tracker pro 165. Its aluminum so I'm expecting it to be easy to anchor shallow or beach...the pictures of ellery seem ideal.
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

I am not a hunting expert, but are you allowed to have a side arm or any arm when camping shasta. I would hate to have a agressive bear not want to leave or attack.

And if i saw a bear in my boat ripping it up for some oreo crumbs........ I'd be pissed off.....

Steven
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

DeltaDan,

I see you have a River Name, I guess if I see that triton on Shasta I'd be yelling out..... RamboDan...

:lol: :lol:

I slept nightly with a .357, .45 and a .44 while inside the tent there "Personaly" durring the summer months (A .38 SPL in +P Hollow Points will work as well Wink ) ... And the dog inside the tent was almost almost always my first warning.

Steven