Anyone following the Boyd Duckett/Kevin Langill drama

Brian D.

Anyone following the Boyd Duckett/Kevin Langill drama

Post by Brian D. »

Amazing stuff. Sad to see someone self-destruct and ruin a career.

BassFan
http://www.bassfan.com/news_article.asp?id=3286

Audio
http://www.utterli.com/u/utt/u-ODQyMDA0OA

Website
http://kevinlangill.com/
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Lake

Re: Anyone following the Boyd Duckett/Kevin Langill drama

Post by Lake »

WOW From the sound of it Kevin really lost his head. Not only in the heat of the moment, but he brought it again the next day. We always read on here about this guy and that guy did this and that, nothing compares to what Boyd just delt with.
Alex M.

Post by Alex M. »

He won the classic a few tears back and that's the ONLY reason anybody knows Duckett's name...Sounds like he's been riding his own coat-tails a little too hard.

Why the hell should a "former" classic winner be allowed to spot-hog another dude's water, especially since they guy was on fish there the first 2 days, and Duckett decided to show up and blow up on day 3?

Yeah...Langill went a little overboard, but Duckett should have respected his water.

It's the friggin' Elites...Not some weekend angler BS....Alot more at stake....

BASS runs a good show, but there are still SOOO many loop-holes and discrepancies :roll:
"In times of rapid change experience can be your biggest handicap"
DL

Post by DL »

There are three sides to every story:

1. Duckett's Side
2. Langill's Side
3. The Truth

I find it funny that the so-called "Marshalls" the BASS introduced were supposed to help decide this kind of BS and they are only making matters worse by having conflicting stories of the same event...

I dont think we will ever know "exactly" what happened...
"Feel the steel"
drew

Post by drew »

It would not surprise me if Duckett is a bent pole chaser. The mistake that Langill made was to think he had a right to a certain piece of water. The fact of the matter is that Duckett had an earlier launch and got there first. The only recourse that Langill had was to do the same to Duckett next time and spread nasty rumors. You just can't get angry and break the rules. Lose your cool and you lose.
jsc11700

Post by jsc11700 »

These guys have the best job in the world in my opinion. I understand their is a lot on the line but come on... Langill shot himself in the foot when he went back out on the water after being DQ'd. In my Opinion he deserves what he gets now. Most of these guys have sacraficed so much to reach this level and now Langill has nothing to show for it. Whether it was Duckets fault or Langill's we will probably never know the truth.
DL

Post by DL »

Langill shot himself in the foot when he went back out on the water after being DQ'd.
+1
"Feel the steel"
L Dub

Post by L Dub »

I want a hover trap!
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

I want a hover trap!

+1
I had to come back...I know...
adman

Post by adman »

(Editor's note: A BASS communications official notified BassFan at 1:30 p.m. ET today that Kevin Langill has been suspended for the remainder of the 2009 Bassmaster Elite Series season due to events that took place on Saturday that are detailed in the story below. If he so chooses, he's eligible to fish the Bassmaster Opens in an attempt to re-qualify for the 2010 Elite Series. For Langill's reaction to the suspension, see Dock Talk.)
leachman90

Post by leachman90 »

Alex M. wrote:He won the classic a few tears back and that's the ONLY reason anybody knows Duckett's name...Sounds like he's been riding his own coat-tails a little too hard.

Why the hell should a "former" classic winner be allowed to spot-hog another dude's water, especially since they guy was on fish there the first 2 days, and Duckett decided to show up and blow up on day 3?

Yeah...Langill went a little overboard, but Duckett should have respected his water.

It's the friggin' Elites...Not some weekend angler BS....Alot more at stake....

BASS runs a good show, but there are still SOOO many loop-holes and discrepancies :roll:

I don't really think thats it.I do agree with you about why we know his name BUT Duckett has fished very well on a very high level for quite some time.And before the Classic win he was getting very high finishes in the opens. 3 win's,12 top 10's and 21 top 20's over the years overall. That does'nt sound like riding the coat tales of the Classic?Just my thoughts.GB..Jim
www.insideline.net/index.php/forum
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Feel bad for Kevin. Duccett and some of the other big name guys think they own the water! Just ask some of the other guys from the west who were fishing the Top 150's what they experienced first hand in regards to this is "so and so's water"
Brian D. wrote:Amazing stuff. Sad to see someone self-destruct and ruin a career.

BassFan
http://www.bassfan.com/news_article.asp?id=3286

Audio
http://www.utterli.com/u/utt/u-ODQyMDA0OA

Website
http://kevinlangill.com/
DeltaBound

Post by DeltaBound »

Sounds like BASS needs to update their rules to say, don't talk to other contestants durning the contest unless there is an emergency, PERIOD
drew

Post by drew »

No one owns any water period. The best way to protect something you found in practice is to keep it a secret. If you can't be discreet then accept the fact that someone else might beat you to it in competition.

Hollywood wrote:Feel bad for Kevin. Duccett and some of the other big name guys think they own the water! Just ask some of the other guys from the west who were fishing the Top 150's what they experienced first hand in regards to this is "so and so's water"
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

drew wrote:No one owns any water period. The best way to protect something you found in practice is to keep it a secret. If you can't be discreet then accept the fact that someone else might beat you to it in competition.

Hollywood wrote:Feel bad for Kevin. Duccett and some of the other big name guys think they own the water! Just ask some of the other guys from the west who were fishing the Top 150's what they experienced first hand in regards to this is "so and so's water"
When you are fishing a lake and someone beats you there...so be it. You can battle all day long to fish it or what not...but I can't feel to bad about people getting SO upset about it.

Its part of fishing...I know a buddy of mine was on a bite that had a BASS event up at Clear Lake about 8 years ago in the bag but people got a better draw than he did and got to the spot fair and square... He sucked it up as a pro and went on with his day.

Making a scene and such is ridiculous...I've had my spots taken from under me many times...it sucks but you can't do things like this...
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

elfish16 wrote:
drew wrote:No one owns any water period. The best way to protect something you found in practice is to keep it a secret. If you can't be discreet then accept the fact that someone else might beat you to it in competition.

When you are fishing a lake and someone beats you there...so be it. You can battle all day long to fish it or what not...but I can't feel to bad about people getting SO upset about it.

Its part of fishing...I know a buddy of mine was on a bite that had a BASS event up at Clear Lake about 8 years ago in the bag but people got a better draw than he did and got to the spot fair and square... He sucked it up as a pro and went on with his day.

Making a scene and such is ridiculous...I've had my spots taken from under me many times...it sucks but you can't do things like this...

B.A.S.S. is famous for having boat on top of boat fishing right next to each other! This sounds no different.

Where was ESPN when this all went down?
j10b

Post by j10b »

Wow... This is almost Boyd's Home water. From my friends that fish G-ville a lot they see Boyd in that area A LOT, didnt know what he was on.

So I wonder WHO was the bent pole chaser now? Kevin " i never did crap" Langill? Or Duckett with 9XXk$$$ in winnings in ONE SEASON on BASS.

There are a few waypoint pressers on the tour and guys like Boyd are NOT them. He doesnt need that. Fishing is more of a person achievement for him. He doesnt need the money. Hell, he could have someone fish for him pre off limits and cover the whole lake. I mean he does have a guy drive his boat to the event while he flys.

Seriously.... get some background before you jump on a guy. Kevin reacted like a rat. Not like a guy that had his spot taken. Most of us had a spot taken, if this was the first time, Kevin is fishing in a different world than me.
CN

Post by CN »

This sport has come to this.

Please explain to me. If you go out in order and you arrive at another spot and a boat is there how is it your water.

Thanks'
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

No matter what was said or done by either angler, Kevin Langill is a dumbsh!t for going back out after he was disqualified and he deserves to be thrown off the tour.
CN

Post by CN »

Kevin wrote:No matter what was said or done by either angler, Kevin Langill is a dumbsh!t for going back out after he was disqualified and he deserves to be thrown off the tour.
He cant go out and fun fish for the day. :?:

He was DQ'd the day before right? Is there a rule against being on the lake after a discualification if your no longer in the event?

He did take it pretty bad and sure as hell hurt his future.
DL

Post by DL »

He sure as hell can, but harassing another angler by doing donuts around him and running over his line is bushleague. That alone should get him run...
"Feel the steel"
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Didn't Bill Dance do this to Roland Martin back in.......no, of course he didn't. But that was before ESPN bought BASS, and tried to make it into something it's not, with high entries, and guys fishing on a credit card to try and get rich.
What did Deep Throat say, "Follow the money".
ESPN wanted NASCAR. Well, they got it.
I'm done with BASS. They can watch themselves.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Melones_IS_Mine

Post by Melones_IS_Mine »

Langill is a s.o.b. He did everything short of going Tonya Harding on him.
smpboy

Post by smpboy »

now that langill is dq for the rest of the season and has nothing to lose do u think he will have any other fun fishing trips on the same days as the rest of the tour :lol:
Mr Gambler

Post by Mr Gambler »

Put Ray Scott back in charge of B.A.S.S., he will straighten things out :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Mike Matthews, U.S.N. 1963-67
Fish hard, sleep good at night.
BigJeff

Post by BigJeff »

I find it hard to believe that a guy who has been tournament fishing for 30+ years with vast knowledge of that lake (Duckett) would file a protest about fishing close to a competitor unless something shady went down.

Look at what Langill did on day 3. Its fairly obvious he has low integrity to go out and chase Duckett around the way he did.

Sad day for the sport when stuff like this happens.
j10b

Post by j10b »

mark poulson wrote:Didn't Bill Dance do this to Roland Martin back in.......no, of course he didn't. But that was before ESPN bought BASS, and tried to make it into something it's not, with high entries, and guys fishing on a credit card to try and get rich.
What did Deep Throat say, "Follow the money".
ESPN wanted NASCAR. Well, they got it.
I'm done with BASS. They can watch themselves.

Why? What did they do? is it because their entry fees are 500bucks more than FLW? At least in BASS you have to qualify to get on the tour... by winning (so you should have some $$ to offset entry fees) its limited to 108 anglers, unlike FLW where at one point it was " fill the field with anyone that wants to whore themselves out to walmart"

Did BASS cause this? No they havent reported on this on their site or glamorized it. They are keeping it on the down low trying to avoid controversy.

YOu wanna go back to the days when a bunch of entitled rich guys lucky enough to own boats and the best equipment ruled the day have at it. Yeah real easy to get on fish when no one else could get to the fish.

Think about it you are done with BASS because Langill made a FOOL of himself...and Duckett called him on it.
Duckman

Post by Duckman »

Here is a first hand report from a BASS member that says he was there. It is a long read.

A SAD DAY FOR B.A.S.S., KEVIN LANGILL, AND BOYD DUCKETT

The disqualification incident of Kevin Langill by B.A.S.S. at the Bassmaster Elite Southern Challenge on Friday, May 8, 2009 on Guntersville Lake was a very sad day for an angler who had spent four years and thousands of dollars pursuing his dream of becoming a Professional Bass Angler to see it all go down the tube because he would not be intimidated by B.A.S.S. or the man bringing unfounded charges, a sad day for a grass roots fishing organization that made bass tournament fishing what it is today, and a sad day for the former Bassmaster World Champion who brought all of this about. But things have changed from the days of Ray Scott and a fledging B.A.S.S. tournament organization, and with the acquisition of B.A.S.S. by ESPN, things have become more complex and guided by viewer ratings – the thing that is suppose to make ESPN money.

Having spent almost 40 years as a member of B.A.S.S., involved in Federation Nation activities, and supporting the B.A.S.S. Tournament organization as volunteer coordinator, media boat operator, a promoter of B.A.S.S. and its youth activities, and a friend of many of the folks engaged in producing the tournaments and submitting articles to BASS Times, I have come to know and value the relationship I have enjoyed with many of the B.A.S.S. employees and touring PROS on the Elite and Open circuits. I know and respect Director Trip Weldon, Tournament Managers Chuck Harbin, John Stewart, Chris Bowes – they have a hard job to do. I have known of Boyd Duckett for a number of years, especially through some of his friends; my grandson had the first photo made with Boyd after he won the World Championship for which I am grateful; and until this incident I have considered Boyd to be a straight-forward angler that could be trusted, was fair and reasonable, and I have been a fan of his.

I have also developed a personal friendship with Kevin Langill, primarily through his efforts in supporting the youth of our nation with his time and money. He has slept at my home and eaten from my table. I have seen the results of his efforts with youngsters and the disabled – both mentally and physically. He is an aggressive competitor but in all things he has been fair and reasonable and worked diligently not to offend and to make all around him feel comfortable. I think he is a fine young man and am grateful for the work he has done with our Junior Bassmaster Club, C.A.S.T. for Kids, and youth everywhere.

Therefore, I have no axe to grind in any direction and only offer these comments from my observations and facts known to me about this disqualification issue:

*On May 4, 2009 - Monday, Kevin began the official practice days on Lake Guntersville for the Bassmaster Elite Southern Challenge. After the first day of practice, he told me that he had found an excellent location that was loaded with bass just outside the creek mouth at Preston Island. He stated that he fished here before in prior Guntersville tournaments but had never had such quality bass to take the bite as he had for this upcoming tournament. He was enthusiastic about his chances for the tournament and looked forward for it to begin;

*On May 5, 2009 - Tuesday, I again had conversation with Kevin and he advised me that he had found four additional locations to fish in the tournament but still believed the location he had found on Monday as the most productive, but he was concerned because the prior Bassmaster World Champion Boyd Duckett had seen him catch a bass off the hole and had moved in on him in practice and indicated to Kevin that the spot was “HISâ€
Chris N

Post by Chris N »

Sounds like one of his buddies talking. Langill acted like a clown.
Chris N

Post by Chris N »

Duckman wrote:Here is a first hand report from a BASS member that says he was there. It is a long read.
As long as he says he was there, and is indeed a BASS member, it's all good! :roll:
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

His buddy Don made a nice attempt at cover but if you read the account of the boater who was nearest to the scene on friday he said Duckett was in the hole and fishing when Kevin came in on plane and settled maybe 25 feet from his boat and started fishing. Lots of people speculating but it is over for Langill and that is that.
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

Duckman wrote: What is sad is that a young angler’s career has ended with BASS because of a complaint filed by an angler

Don Gowen
A Member of B.A.S.S. and the Federation Nation
What's sad is that Mr. Gowen doesn't realize that Langill ended his career. He was dq'd for a day, his childish actions (whether he was truly wronged or not) are what got him 86d from the tour. Obviously he's not man enough to admit this and has to make someone else (in this case Duckett) responsible.
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

As some one has posted before, there are three sides to this story..Langill's, Duckett's and the truth..Even though Kevin's actions after being DQ'ed were without a doubt inappropriate, I can see someone becoming upset enough at what he felt was unjustified to react irrationally..It doesn't make it right to do so, but it might make it understandable..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
drew

Post by drew »

I don't know if this was posted already, but this is Boyd's story.

http://www.basszone.com/2009quickflips/duckett5.htm
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

mac (Doyle McEwen) wrote:Even though Kevin's actions after being DQ'ed were without a doubt inappropriate, I can see someone becoming upset enough at what he felt was unjustified to react irrationally..
mac
And that, Mac, is what separates the pros from the children
Last edited by bryanmc on Thu May 14, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy Williams

Post by Guy Williams »

Sounds like an off the lake a$$ kickin' was in order. Sometimes that's just how it needs to be, men being men----frickin' girls.
Guy Williams
You know it's going to hell when the best rapper out there is white and the best golfer is black.
Charles Barkley
CN

Post by CN »

DL wrote:
He sure as hell can, but harassing another angler by doing donuts around him and running over his line is bushleague. That alone should get him run...
Well I think I will take Mr. Gowen's account of this situation to be a little more accurate than your's.

Either way the poor guy made a mistake why do you insist on throwing him under the bus.

Mike Nance
MikeS.Ohio

Post by MikeS.Ohio »

I would have to think that something went wrong before the tournament like Gowen wrote, then it spun out of control during the first two days of the tournament. I wasn't there to see any of it but what would make Langill snap in such a bad way as to risk it all like he did. I have heard story's about some of the Pro's that are not very nice with the way they act. I was at the Classic in Pittsburgh and saw some of it first hand and I won't say names. I don't care what anybody says Boyd had to have a hand in this to some degree to get that big of a rise out of Langill. I'll tell you a story about BASS in my part of OHIO. When ESPN took over everything went up $$$$$ to be apart of it. And the prize $$$$$$ went down, Threre was only 14 boats in the regional tournament this year.We use to have at least 50 plus feilds and good prize $$$ and the director for this area is a loud mouth jerk that fly's off the handle and makes ruling's just like Gowen wrote about Trip. So I can side with Gowen's story but would have to see the tape before put all my eggs in one basket. It's sad that it has come down to the $$$$$$ part of it again but I knew it was going to go bad when ESPN took over. The only way to send a message to any of these big Corps is to hit them in the wallet and Boycott everything that they have a hand in. But that's just my 2cents. I have to add this about the Classic I had a great time talking with Gary Dobyns about ripping he was the only pro that we were able to talk with through out the time we were at the Classic he is a class act.