merc rebuild?

gomester

merc rebuild?

Post by gomester »

Ok, fun day today. Seems like I have a blown motor. I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination so need to see if anybody knows of either a good inexpensive mechanic to rebuild the motor or if somebody has a motor for inexpensive for sale. This is a merc 175 efi. Not quite sure what happened but there is metal all over; brackets, springs, etc.
Anyways, I need to get this checked out and fixed and the economy has hit me as well so I am looking to save some bucks or wait until tax season next year or take a huge loss and sell the boat which I really don't want to do since I have only had it a couple of months.

Thanks in advance.
Pictures at http://picasaweb.google.com/gomestoc/MercBlownMotor#
Last edited by gomester on Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim Moulton

Re: merc rebuild?

Post by Jim Moulton »

What area do you live in? Jim
gomester

Post by gomester »

San jose
rickd

Post by rickd »

The guys over at Boatmasters rebuild motors in the winter, give them a call they may have one laying around.
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

Ok here goes nothing !

After my Merc 200 efi when Kaboom at the winter nutcase in Jan of this year. I decided to take it to the what i thought was one of the best Oasis Sport Boats in Redding. They were the Old California Custom Marine and a Ranger dealership. The head mec there had been with em for years (Calvin) and he really knows his stuff and has done work on the engine/ boat over the years, mine is a 393vs 94 vintage. It was originally purchased from them.

But after the insurance adjuster got through with the adjustment things went south pretty fast. Oasis (Neil is the Service manager) quoted me a price of $7500.00 and that left a considerable difference between what the adjuster sent me a check for and what the cost of the re-build was. When i authorized Oasis to do the job, they (Neil) told me that the price of the re-built was not what the actual price was going to be but the lower $7500.00 quote and written estimate was for the adjusted price because the agent would not allow certain parts to be used, and the actual price to me would be over $8300.00 with the parts that need to be used for a complete re-build. I know it sound goofy but this is how it went down. So when i went to Oasis to pick up my boat to take it to another shop, I found my motor torn apart sitting in boxes on the deck and the lower unit on the ground.

It is now at C&C Marine in Modesto with a quoted price I can live with and trust that they will honor, done my a staff of mechanics who will stand behind there work, at a Marine shop/Boat dealership who really cares about there reputation and not just in the business to sell wake boats and take your money.

My advice. Call Richard at C&C Maine and talk it over with him, he will give you trusted information that you can believe and if you have them do the work it it will be backed up by a Owner of a store who will go the mile to honor there commitment to you and the people who keep them in business. Old fashion values and ideas that have stood the test of time.
Last edited by Guy Kelley on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah ? It's Me Again, SO WHAT!!!!!
jeffmeeks

Post by jeffmeeks »

I too had to pick up my outboard motor in a bunch of boxes and move to another shop. i had simon motorsports of ramona ca do my rebuild. he did a complete rebuild, balance, and dyno for the same price the other shop wanted to do a single piston. do yourself a favor and call him before you do anything, i'm glad i did. eric at 760-440-9334, or google the guy. he has motors all over the place, even had a couple in bwb mag. good luck, jeff blythe ca.
492slayer

Post by 492slayer »

Ouch... I had Eric Simon build my blown 225EFI to a 335HP beast complete with all the bells and whistles for $7500 in 2006. This was after Galaxie quoted me $6800 just for a drop on powerhead 225. I could have had the 225 redone just with having a single cylinder sleeved for $3800 by Eric.... I can't quote his price today, but I can say that he is the only one who will get my business. I had him fix my lower unit when the seal went out... Oasis wanted a chunk of change and 5 weeks to do the job. I removed the LU, crated it up and shipped it to Eric UPS, and had it back and on the boat in 1 week.... That is customer service. :D
'97 492VS
335HP EFI by Simon Motorsports
meanstick

Post by meanstick »

I got a merc 200 efi on my old skeeter that runs great. I was saving it for a back up motor. I dont know how much u have dwelt with motors before , but they r not inexpensive. Pm me and maybe we can work something out.
Pro bass fishing guide and instructor
Ib5g

Post by Ib5g »

Guy Kelley wrote:Ok here goes nothing !

After my Merc 200 efi when Kaboom at the winter nutcase in Jan of this year. I decided to take it to the what i thought was one of the best Oasis Sport Boats in Redding. They were the Old California Custom Marine and a Ranger dealership. The head mec there had been with em for years (Calvin) and he really knows his stuff and has done work on the engine/ boat over the years, mine is a 393vs 94 vintage. It was originally purchased from them.

But after the insurance adjuster got through with the adjustment things went south pretty fast. Oasis (Neil is the Service manager) quoted me a price of $7500.00 and that left a considerable difference between what the adjuster sent me a check for and what the cost of the re-build was. When i authorized Oasis to do the job, they (Neil) told me that the price of the re-built was not what the actual price was going to be but the lower $7500.00 quote and written estimate was for the adjusted price because the agent would not allow certain parts to be used, and the actual price to me would be over $8300.00 with the parts that need to be used for a complete re-build. I know it sound goofy but this is how it went down. So when i went to Oasis to pick up my boat to take it to another shop, I found my motor torn apart sitting in boxes on the deck and the lower unit on the ground.

It is now at C&C Marine in Modesto with a quoted price I can live with and trust that they will honor, done my a staff of mechanics who will stand behind there work, at a Marine shop/Boat dealership who really cares about there reputation and not just in the business to sell wake boats and take your money.

My advice. Call Richard at C&C Maine and talk it over with him, he will give you trusted information that you can believe and if you have them do the work it it will be backed up by a Owner of a store who will go the mile to honor there commitment to you and the people who keep them in business. Old fashion values and ideas that have stood the test of time.
So why would you tow your boat up to redding? Is it because you have something bad to say about every shop you have came in contact with? Just remember people who live in glass house shouldnt throw stones. There are always two sides to a story.
Don't stop till it sounds expensive!!
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

As I said previously, I took it to Redding to what i thought was a very good shop based on how i was treated and the service i received before.

If that serves or treatment changes as a result of store management or policy, or what ever else would cause such a change. then I as a consumer have the right to make my decision on who or were i would have my work done at.

Just like at C&C Marine in Modesto. It is very true that I had extensive work done at the store when it was owned by others and I was not totally happy with the results of that work. Seance that time the store has changed ownership and the new owner attempted to reach out to me to regain my trust and to man up to the mistakes made in the past even though he had nothing to do with them. (We assume the bad will as well as the good will when we buy a business).

That goes miles in my book. Not to beat a dead horse, but a store or business is nothing better than the serves it had with its last customer.
Yeah ? It's Me Again, SO WHAT!!!!!
gomester

Post by gomester »

ok, so let's try to be adults and get rid of the bashing. if you don't have anything to contribute to my original post/question, then please don't post. this is not a place for the politics. i asked a question and appreciate the feedback. i also appreciate somebody letting me know about one shop's work as opposed to another. it is word of mouth that helps others to not go through the same bad experiences.
as stated, it is simply an opinion which I appreciate. it is very helpful to know how somebody else's experiences were to help me and others to make good and not bad decisions when having work like this done. this is an expensive repair job and I would not want to take it somewhere that I did not wholeheartedly trust.

thanks guys.
gomester

Post by gomester »

Ib5g wrote:
Guy Kelley wrote:Ok here goes nothing !

So why would you tow your boat up to redding? Is it because you have something bad to say about every shop you have came in contact with? Just remember people who live in glass house shouldnt throw stones. There are always two sides to a story.
why do you feel it necessary to join 1 day ago just so you can bash somebody's post? sounds like you have a personal interest in Oasis.
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

:D Boatmasters-Livermore! :D
~ Tony
WishinIwerFishin

Post by WishinIwerFishin »

Check out Inland Marine in Antioch, thay aren't the cheapest but Frank is a honest guy and won't try to rip you off. They do great work as well, no cut corners when I have delt with them. I have no affiliation with Inland, just a very satisfied customer.
YZKEN250

Post by YZKEN250 »

Garland at Paradise Point in Stockton or Lyle Gossett in Galt.
bigstick

Post by bigstick »

If you need ANY work done on a Merc, take it to Boatmasters in Livermore!

I am familiar with a few of the guys mentioned in this thread but Boatmasters will be the only shop that services my Mercury from now on.
rangerz20

Post by rangerz20 »

I saved this website I found on this board and another board. I have never used them, but the guys who had spoke highly of them on the boards. Worth a call.

http://1outboard.com/Mercury.html
Dom

Post by Dom »

Take to Lyle Gossett, I just picked my boat up from lyle and he does excellent work and the price is way cheaper then any shop will charge Lyle has rebuilt a few outboards for me over the years and never one problem the guy works out of his house so his overhead is low he is fair and honest not to mention FAST!!!!! here is is number he his moving out to woodland but well worth the 40.00-50.00 bucks in gas to get there becuase you'll save a ton of $$$$$ and when ya pick the boat up go ahead and shoot up to clear lake while your out that way. :D :D :D

Lyle 209-570-6634
Tight Lines Dom
chf8500

Post by chf8500 »

That sucks big time, almost looks like you will be better off going with a remanufactued pwr head stright from Merc. new parts warranty and all that goes with it, Nelson down in salinas is a good bet for treating ya right
Any day on the lake is a great day
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

I will second Lyle Gosset. He is a honest and friendly guy who does excellent work. He will be cheaper than any shop you take it to.
adamsj13

Post by adamsj13 »

meanstick wrote:I got a merc 200 efi on my old skeeter that runs great. I was saving it for a back up motor. I dont know how much u have dwelt with motors before , but they r not inexpensive. Pm me and maybe we can work something out.
I blew my motor about 5 weeks ago and can use a 200 efi. Sent you a PM.