What is your favorite flippin/pitching reel for the Delta?

Mark-C

What is your favorite flippin/pitching reel for the Delta?

Post by Mark-C »

in the $200 range or less.
Cooch

Re: What is your favorite flippin/pitching reel for the Delt

Post by Cooch »

ABU Garcia 4600 C4 Ultra Cast or the Elite!
Long Nguyen

Post by Long Nguyen »

Lots of choices for under $200 that will fit the bill nicely.

The two on top of my list will either be a Revo STX or Curado E7. Third would be a Daiwa HSTA.

In reality, most baits we flip and pitch on the delta are over 1/4 oz, so just about any reel with a free floating spool will handle nicely.
FR0G

Post by FR0G »

Revo SX, Revo SC, or Revo STX. Beware though, the high speed SX only has about 12 lbs of drag, which is way less than its regular speed reel.
Mark-C

Post by Mark-C »

I have a lot of bass gear and most of my reels are Curados, Revos and Ambassadors. but I never really fished much with a reel that has a flippin switch or with the clutch bar that can be engaged with the casting hand like on the Shimano Castaic. So what I was really wondering is what guys think of some of these reels designed for flippin and pitchin. I should have been more specific in my original post- thanks
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Mark,

I have two left handed Castaics that I use for Flipping and Pitching. I enjoy both of them, however I rarley use the clutch bar when pitching and do use it when flipping.

I dont think the clutch bar is a MUST have for these techniques, It is convienant when flipping at different depths- but this is not the case most of the time.

I do find I use the clutch bar much more for Carolina rigging and Football head jigs on structure lakes, where I click the thumbar to let my jig freefall down and instantly engage it back and forth.

For me switching over to left handed reels has improved my flippin and pitchin much more then the Pitchin reel.
Mark-C

Post by Mark-C »

Ash, Thanks for the tips, they are helpful. I agree about going left-handed. In fact, I switched out nearly all my reels to left handed models and could never go back!
bassmaster89

Post by bassmaster89 »

I like the castaic reels also. But for pitching, I never use the bar. And the curado E7 is a sick reel!
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

Any B Generation Shimano is the best reel ever made!!

But bias aside, the Castaic is an excellent flipping reel. There are those with the switch that dont allow the thumb bar to lock down; never been a fan of those.

I know that the castaic is in the process of being reworked, so you might hold out to see what happens with that (should be pretty much a left handed Core, with the new aesthetics)
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

BassManDan wrote:Any B Generation Shimano is the best reel ever made!!
The old "A" generation Chronarchs 100s (CH-100A/SF/Mg) is an even better family! :P
WishinIwerFishin

Post by WishinIwerFishin »

I have two Quantum Accurist PT burners that I use and work great but....... They are the only non Shimano's that I have, soon to be switched out for two Curado E7's.
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

You should be able to pitch with any reel..You could say the same for flipping, but I have found flipping with a reel with a flipping switch or clutch bar just makes adjusting the line length easier and somewhat quicker..Personally I use the Castaics for flipping,,

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
896J

Post by 896J »

Revo SX. The drag can be pretty much locked down with the Revo when using braid to flip in delta style cover :wink: .