buying a boat

drilltrash

buying a boat

Post by drilltrash »

im going to look at a used boat tomorrow (if i purchase it, it will be my first). its an 84 16' skeeter. it has a mercury 115 on it. the owner told me that he was on the lake driving around and hit a log or something on the lower end of the motor and since then, it wont run at full rpms. he says it will run around 5000 rpm and has taken it out mutiple times since then and it works, just not at highest rpm. also, he says there is a small portion of the front deck that has a "weak" spot that will need to eventually be replaced. does anyone know how difficult it is to re-do the front of the deck? also, anyone have any ideas on what the motor problem could be? thanks!
Delta is beast

Re: buying a boat

Post by Delta is beast »

i recommend on not getting it because there is going to be a lot of money involved replacing it. your best bet would be to get a newer boat that does not have any technical problems or problems that you will have to get fixed. buying that boat would mean a lot mor $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ than the boat is worth
dont b a turkey
bassrockstar

Post by bassrockstar »

I agree....those are the type of boats that can become money pits. Take a look around and right now there are quite a few boats 10 years newer that are gonna be a good deal without getting into the 20k range of most of the boats in the 2000's.

PM me if you're interested in a 96' skeeter 17.5' with a mercury 115 on it and loaded.
Jeff Antenucci

Post by Jeff Antenucci »

For a first boat, get something that will be very reliable... Im not sure how much that boat was but I'll include a link of a boat that is for sale. Its a little bit newer but older and cheaper than newer boats. This boat runs great and there is no problem with it (i know that because my dad and i sold it less then a year ago). The previous owner could give you more details about it now.

http://www.westernbass.com/forum/ads_item.php?id=11560
drilltrash

Post by drilltrash »

i've been thinkin the same thing, just gettin eager beaver syndrome.... thanks for the input!
snapitoff2002

Post by snapitoff2002 »

Hey.. take it from me... Don't be too eager to find a boat, just because it has a motor and floats. I almost bought an NX882... That's a tiny little Nitro... It was sharp, clean, and barely used. Then I rode in a friend's boat that was exactly the same. Terrible ride!!! Bought an older 487, and am very happy with that hull. Although it lacks high performance, I can afford to fish because I don't have a boat payment. That is something to consider as well.

Good Luck!
Josh Palmer

"Champions keep playing till they get it right"
biteme

Post by biteme »

Check out my 18ft glass Triton its a 08 for 16k with four years left on the motor.
Scott Robertson

Post by Scott Robertson »

I know of an older ranger I believe its 89 21 ft needs carpet and upholstery but runs great if your a fix it kind of guy send me a pm or email we are talking about 4 k with a solid motor. 200 merc stailess prop, new tandem trailer, all works good just need cosmetic stuff. Send me an email if interested. Its owned by a friend of mine. I havent been in the boat but i am assured it runs great. Scott
bent rods to all good luck.
2005 angler of the year ABA High desert region.
2018 2nd place AAA us open
drilltrash

Post by drilltrash »

thanks for the offers guys, im just limited in the $ department as well as what size boat due to my tow rig... if its even considered a rig... 03 ford ranger.
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

First, I think that boat would be a can of worms? 16' w/ 115? is that over rated? I do not know my skeeters. Plus it's a 84, so if he hit something you may wanna be cautious about that transome. next you have a weak spot on the deck... that's more labor and not fishing.

As far as your tow rig, my buddy pulls a r72 w/ his ranger! I had a V6 GMC Sonoma, towed my ranger and monark fine. Stopping was not a issue, just don't tow and speed, keep it in the 55-60 range!

Steven
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

I pull a 18' pro craft with 175 with a ford ranger. It gets it there. I got that boat for 7 grand. Not a scratch on it and looks brand new. Fishes good, and flat out scoots. Just keep looking.
LL
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Pass "Go" and collect $200. :wink:

At least thats how it works on the game of Monololy .... :wink:

Pick your personal Park Place and Broardwalk even very nicely--- And remember that there are many Baltic and Vermonts Avenes on the market right now. Shoot for a Pacific Avenue -- and for the price you payed - You stole it for an Indiana Avenue lot - with a hotel in it already possibly.

Start from at least what you can pay for w/o going into any debt -- cause you will have ALOT of out of pocket expenses before even starting your path down that road as well !!

Everything will be needing/taking maintance - From the boat, to the trailor -- to the vheicle you will be towing it with even.

Also ~~ Make sure you Stay away from G-mans spot in the game of Monopoly ... He will Ping Pong you to death !! (Limp Wrist and all ) Image

(At least BrothA G keeps his 5 bedroom house SPOTLESS !! 8) )
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
g-man

Post by g-man »

Dan, although it does not really matter that you post about the fact that I hurt my wrist it is no ones Biz. A perfect example of you taking stuff out of the LL again! :roll:

When are you gonna learn to stfu, and keep whats in the LL in the LL? You want me to posts some pics Mr. 86?
100% LL
bruizer343

Post by bruizer343 »

When your Drunk 24 hours a day......thats what happens g.

Last edited by bruizer343 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

I wouldn't even look at it. Way too many expensive issues will crop up and you will have a nice planter for your yard. Look around on the AZ website as well as craigslist and find a 17' Alumacraft deep V bass boat with a reliable 115 and it will last you and you can get one for $4000 in decent shape. I bought one new in 1990 and we repainted it and rebuilt the decks for very little money and my buddy still fishes out of it three times a week. He hauls it all over with a Toyota Tacoma V6. Good luck and take your time.
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

I just found a 1999 aluminum bass boat with a 90hp Yamaha on the Phoenix craigslist for $3900. Not a big glass fast boat but with new carpet and a tuneup you could be fishing and actually make it back to the ramp.
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

run far and fast. soft spots are wood rot, if floor is rotten, bet the transom is too.
if he hit something and never checked out the damage is a warning flag this guy doesnt take care of his stuff.
Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"