Trolling Motor issue today

MT

Trolling Motor issue today

Post by MT »

Today on Clearlake, my MG 109 went nuts. Basically while in momentary on it would begin running on its own and wide open even though the dial was set at low. The only way I could run it was to leave it in the constant on position and adjust the speed but still at times it would take on a mind of it's own and jump all over the power range. I put my spare on/off switch in hoping that was the problem but it did not change. My next guess is that the other 3way toggle with the different running modes is bad. Has anybody had this happen? I'm hoping I can fix this myself if it's just a part. I'm handy enough to have changed cables in this thing twice so maybe someone has had the same experience and can offer some input. Please, no call Gene at the Hook, he will take care of you responses. Thanks, Mike
aNNieNsaLTIE

Re: Trolling Motor issue today

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

change out the speed dial or double check to see if your batteries are tip top! Batteries can do funny things like mentioned.
MT

Post by MT »

Batteries are fine
drrakruz

Post by drrakruz »

This happened to me last year. I have the built-in transducer. Somehow, it got cracked and water got inside of the unit. The motor had to be replaced and re-sealed. I was fortunate enough that my motor was still under warranty, and didn't cost me a dime. I had Sunny's in Sac do the work. Is yours still under warranty? Should be 3 years from the date of purchase.
Sponsors:
M & M Marine, Lincoln, CA
[img]http://www.evolutionmarine.net/images/mercury.logo.gif[/img]
PLAY HARD AND FLOOR IT!!
MT

Post by MT »

Yep, you're the second person who has said that. 5yr old unit however, looks like it's time for a new one. Thanks for responding. Mike
Trace

Post by Trace »

Oh yeah. I've been there twice. Once, water got into the lower unit/motor. There is an "O" ring that can fail. Another time, it was the "fully sealed digital circuit board that never fails" that failed. Jay Liu fixed mine. He can fix it in a couple hours while you wait. It's just some cash.
bruizer343

Post by bruizer343 »

call Gene @ the Hook Line and Sinker
Steve1257

Post by Steve1257 »

I had exactly the same thing happen with my T109p.Water got inside and ruined the control modual.I think it is a bad idea to have an expensive component in the lower unit.
MT

Post by MT »

He's on vacation bruizer but thanks anyway. Taking it to Jay Liu on Friday. Thanks to all for the response. MT