Stop the Peripheral Canal

Gene Buchholz

Stop the Peripheral Canal

Post by Gene Buchholz »

Ready or not here it comes. If you are against turning the Delta into a saltwater cesspool and destroy what remains of it's fisheries and ecosystem, it is time to get involved.

Roger
Peripheral canal drilling could start next month

July 15, 2009 4:03 PM
SACRAMENTO - State water officials plan to drill into channel bottoms at 16 locations throughout the Delta as they explore possible intake sites for a peripheral canal.

The drilling could begin as soon as next month.

The California Department of Water Resources said it needs data about channel soils to help plan where a canal would begin, as well as tunnels for various proposed alignments. The state has been surveying private lands for some time, a Water Resources spokesman said today, but this stage of the project requires notification and a public comment period, which ends July 26.

The work is part of a massive environmental review for the Bay Delta Conservation Plan, an effort to improve the state�s water supply while also restoring Delta habitat. The canal is a key part of that plan, though foes say it will destroy, not restore, the estuary.

Officials said they expect in the coming weeks to release details about how a canal could be operated while still allowing some fresh water to flow into and through the Delta. Canal opponents have long insisted that the state should not be pushing forward with a canal when questions about how it would operate have not been answered.

The drilling is expected to take place from barges or boats anchored in various rivers, including the Sacramento, Mokelumne and San Joaquin. Much of the drilling will take place on the Sacramento River between Walnut Grove and Freeport, roughly the area in which a proposed canal would divert the water before shipping it to large export pumps near Tracy.

��http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... /-1/NEWSMA
[img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/468x60/hookadban.gif[/img]
RipnRog

Re: Stop the Peripheral Canal

Post by RipnRog »

this is terrible.
bigstick

Post by bigstick »

[quote="Gene Buchholz"]Ready or not here it comes. If you are against turning the Delta into a saltwater cesspool and destroy what remains of it's fisheries and ecosystem, it is time to get involved.

Where have you been?
We need more business owners like yourself who are going to be adveresly affected by this canal to start speaking up!
DaHawg

Post by DaHawg »

I am sure Gene and others have been behind the scenes working against this effort.

I do understand what you mean though, the shop owners, marina owners, etc. that many have come to know and respect being openly vocal about their opposition to the project will lead to many folks getting involved that may otherwise have not done so.

It would be great to hear a voice from all of the shops and marinas both brick and mortar and online. They will all be affected should this push through.

-DaHawg
jaime7819

Post by jaime7819 »

Not trying to stir the pot but why is this soo bad? The delta is basically man made. Its orginally swamp land that man channeled right? I think it would be ideal if we dammed a few more lakes between fresno and sacramento to help support the delta during the summer and fall months. Have the extra canal for farmers and everyone is happy. Call me nieve but i would "assume" that california would eventually build more damns. Its inevitable if you ask me. I know there's more people on here that ask the same question but its politically incorrect to say something like this on this forum. Keep yourselves civil. Thanks!
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

Thanks for your reply bigtick, I've been in meetings with the city council and the chamber of commerce. I have been sending information to news media such as Joe Fonzi from channel 2 news. I have been in other meetings and running two businesses in a shitty economy to keep my head above water. And yes I have been trying to keep other people informed. I'm not familiar with your handle so I don't know how you are. If you would like to discuss this further please feel free to call me. 925-625-2441
Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

Its tough to really get a good sense of this issue because it is only coming from one side.

What are the proposed benefits.. I guess I should get some good literature and really see what is going on. Luckily, I have a few friends who intern for Arnie.
Monsterfishingtackle.com
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

It's pretty simple.
The State wants to send more water south.
More water for the south from the north means less for the Delta.
Unless they are going to take water from a watershed that doesn't dump into the Delta, which are on the west side of the coastal mountains, and don't get enough snow to provide the kind of runoff they would need.
The courts have already said they can't take any more water from the Eastern Sierra/Owens Valley.
Everything else that falls on the slopes surrounding the Central Valley winds up passing through the Delta on the way to San Francisco Bay.
Not many choices.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Gene Buchholz wrote: I have been sending information to news media such as Joe Fonzi from channel 2 news. I have been in other meetings and running two businesses in a shitty economy to keep my head above water. And yes I have been trying to keep other people informed.

AMEN !!

Bigstick - Click on this link and you will see how passionate Gene is about protecing our resouces about 2 minuets into this video ~~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yvS8ubgpXM

You can also go to the City Counsel meeting to watch him tell a messed up city govt. what is right and fair -- And then read about it in the newspaper.

Gene Bucholz, whose Hook, Line & Sinker store sells shotguns among other items, verbally unloaded with both barrels on Oakley officials Tuesday night – one of several merchants blasting them for planning to ban most of the A-frame signs merchants put out along Main Street to attract passing motorists.

“If I was a business owner wanting to locate a business in Oakley, after listening to this meeting about this sign ordinance, I would get up and walk out. I’d look for a new city,â€
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

Dan FLY IT WITH PRIDE!!!

I KNOW YOU DO AS WELL AS OTHERS
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

jaime7819 wrote:Not trying to stir the pot but why is this soo bad? The delta is basically man made. Its orginally swamp land that man channeled right?
Why is it so bad? Because the cutting back/diverting of water through an already deteriorating waterway will make it even worse. As mentioned, salt water intrusion even further inland is one example of what will happen. A large estuary system like the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta needs flushing...

The delta isn't manmade--a delta is just an area where rivers meet, intertwine and become estuarine and then drain into the sea. The Sac-San Joaquin Delta has been modified with new channels/waterways, higher levees constructed to prevent flooding, etc, etc, etc but it aint exactly manmade, nor is it just reclaimed "swampland."
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

The canal was voted down almost 20 yaers ago by the people of Ca. What is so bad about it is the old saying "rob peter to pay paul" in other words they want to stop the fresh water that fows into the delta from rains and snow run off that balances out the salinaty in the Delta. The farmers in Sherman lake and around Franks Track and many other areas will not have fresh water to water their crops and water their livestock. They will be robbed so that the Central Valley Corp. Farmers can get their way, they are double are dipping, they over flood their land for crops and then they are selling the excess to various towns for 4 times the profit.
It is also a fact that certain congress persons own Corparate farms in the valley tring to push this through.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MIGHTY BUCK AND NOT THE ENVIROMENTAL SYSTEM OR THE HABITAT BECAUSE THE ECO SYSTEM THEY SAY WILL BENEFIT IS GOING TO SUFFER.
THIS IS GOING TO AFFECT LAKE ORIVILLE AND SHASTA BECAUSE THEY WILL BE RELEASING WATER DIRECT TO THE CANAL!!

Sorry if I offened anybody but thats the TRUTH
Gene
RichThiel

Post by RichThiel »

What my good friend and friend to all fisherman, Gene is saying is that Shasta, Oroville, Folsom, Clearlake, Berryessa, and all Northern California lakes will be most likely be at minumal pool most months during the last parts of summer and into the fall until it rains or snows enough to fill them up.

Example: Say Shasta or Oroville is at 65% capacity today, July 16th. With the Canal operating to please Central California it maybe at 45% or less. By Nov 1st, it may be at ?????. 25-30% of max pool...

Another terrandy is that Contra Costa at the present gets it water from Rock Slough, Holland Marina on the map, with the Canal built and in operation at capacity. This slough will become salt water. Dutch, Big Break, Sherman Lake, Iron House, Emerson, Sanmound the New Delta Cove, Three Mile, Seven Mile all salt. You'll be fishing for flounders.

Land wise, they want it to go back to nature. Find for birds, racoons, and land species, but for the surrounding fisheries that we know of today "GONE"

In 1982 they like Gene said, "the people voted it down and every politition that voted for its passage was voted out of office. Today it is organized under different committes that were selected by an official of the state. The people can't force them out of office or vote them out. There being bought, period, by corporations that own the land and sign 30, 50, 100 year leases to farmers.

Example, I guide on Berryessa. The land on the east side of the lake from the Northend to the Dam is owned by who....The land has (I think) 4-5 ranches that run cattle, some sheep. EVERYONE THAT FISHES Berryessa seen these ranches. The land is owned by Protor and Gamble. BLM can't do squat about the Ranches.

In 1982, their was a petition out to cut the State in half, just below or above Fresno because of the water issue. I know because I had a tee shirt with a facet on the front and a middle finger stating screw Southern California. Just before 1982, the Water right for MWD expired (100yr lease) for the water on the Colorado River System. Arizona said no way your going to get water or another lease.

The States in the Northwest said the same thing to Southern Californa over a period of time and monies wasted.

Yesterday July 15th I read an articale that the area around Mendota (Ground Level) has fallen 29ft (3 Stories) because of all the wells pump'in water out of the ground. Known studies were down or facts known since 1960's or the 80's

Thats enough scream'in for one night....Guys you all have to call your congress men and SCREAM....
Guide on the California Delta and Lake Berryessa for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spots. Teach all known techniques with up to date artificial baits.

www.calbassguide.com ,

Best 5 over 7lbs for 09
1- 8lb 3oz
2- 10.73
3- 9.06
4-
5-
big_limits

Post by big_limits »

Most people need to see hard facts, as would I. Is there solid info to read from both sides of the fence? if so where is it? What are the pros, what are the cons? Is it absolutely detrimental or are there positives. Is it what is best for California, or is it all bad. Are anglers being selfish? Or are the politicians seeing $$$$. I really cant take anyones side by word alone... sorry. Please point me, and others I'm sure, to the fact and opinions from both sides so we can reach our own conclusion. I'm sorry if I have offended anyone. Wasn't meant to. I would just like to make an educated conclusion rather than picking up a torch and heading into a lynching on something I really don't know a lot about.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

big_limits wrote:Most people need to see hard facts, as would I. Is there solid info to read from both sides of the fence? if so where is it? What are the pros, what are the cons? Is it absolutely detrimental or are there positives. Is it what is best for California, or is it all bad. Are anglers being selfish? Or are the politicians seeing $$$$. I really cant take anyones side by word alone... sorry. Please point me, and others I'm sure, to the fact and opinions from both sides so we can reach our own conclusion. I'm sorry if I have offended anyone. Wasn't meant to. I would just like to make an educated conclusion rather than picking up a torch and heading into a lynching on something I really don't know a lot about.

B_L- I "Just may have" the perfect analogy for your legit question. :lol:

I work as w W.P.I.C. (Wharf Person In Charge) for a big oil company .... Loading and Unloading the ships/barges. I have to sit my arse down in a 12' by 12' shelter for 12 hours a day/night any time there is a vessel hooked up and loading/unloading.

Now there is a 6' by 4' section of that shelter with a Chitter.

BUT the chitters pump = that moves the Chit to a main pot .....to be pumped to the Effluent plant -- ALOT OF TIME ~~ The Chitter Pumps take a Chit Themselves !! :evil:

We then put a sign on the Chitter door in big bold letters saying --
"DO NOT USE THIS CHITTER !!" ...We are again awaiting repair !!

BUT- Some outside contractors do use it in dire need ....... only to see that it will not flush and is overflowing with theirs and others fertalizer, pestaside, bug attranctanct's (this part should be the reverse - but the bug killer spray is hard to get ahold of as well thru SAP - and delivered in a timely manner)

Anyhow - The Chitter then over flows onto the shelter floor .... and now has a stream onto our main required mantaory place of occupation of top water ----- While the femrenting Chit is still brewing in the Original Chitter ~~ In the mean time - we sit there with the A/C on to get freash air and twiddle out thumbs at times ..... While we are awaiting the pump-out pump to be taken out and to the shop for repair to be fixed again.... And the green card janitor to mop/clean it up daily the best he can !!

Personally- When I need to pee .... I urinate into the water over the side of the dock. But for some reason alot of people that can not read English (but they can do math :roll: ) ~~ They continue to pollute a broken toilet ! Now you have urine and more chit on top of 4+ days of older unrine and chit !! :shock:

Frickin' Idiots !!!! :twisted:

Now there is more of a cestpool of fertalzer, chit and paper that CAN NOT BE FLUSHED and put in it's Proper Place ... Yet The Water THAT IS NEEDED TO FLUSH THE CHIT ~~ IS READILY AVAILABLE

AND USED EVERYTIME A SHIP/BARGE COMES IN TO REFILL THEIR TANKS ~~
FOR THEIR OWN PERSONAL USE !!! .....Before they sail away to Carson or Anacortes -- Only to return 6-10 days later to take our dock water again.

Do you happen to see the chit in that annalogy by chance ?? :idea:

They are nearing readiness to flood the Emerson Ranch as well off of Sellers Ave - North side of Cypress Road. This a test for salinity/tidal marsh thru Cal-Fed ..... Before they flood the Treat's old farm (Vista Ranch) on Jersey Island Road next . They say they will only test Emmerson for a year before they will need to break Vista's levee.

THANKFULY ~ This is another Cal-Fed project ..... and the State now has no money supposedly !!

big_limits ..... Iron House AND Emerson Sloughs will soon be gone before you can ever get to fish them as they currently are sometime in the Very Near Future -- If you personally never have fished them for the first/ soon last time. .... Now is the time to do your best in fishing them -- and remember it now as it was (Along with Big Break) for you to pass along to your kids ..... Every kid loves a really good Fantasy Story read to them at night before bed !! :D
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Dan,
Duct tape the seat down, and put a 5 gallon bucket with a plastic trash bag liner next to it. :wink:

Water shortage is a regional issue, and it won't be solved for the long term until it's a national priority, like the interstate highway system in the '50s.
No local politician will stick his neck out and do what's right, as long as he has to kiss a$$ to get the money to get reelected.

"Whiskey's for drinkin', and water's for fightin' over"
Mark Twain
CLEAN AND DRY
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

You can read more about it by going to www.calsport.org
RichThiel

Post by RichThiel »

Click on the Delta New's July 7th, It has Video's of various group''s that are against the Canal. One of the individuals is the Lt Governor

Bump
Guide on the California Delta and Lake Berryessa for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spots. Teach all known techniques with up to date artificial baits.

www.calbassguide.com ,

Best 5 over 7lbs for 09
1- 8lb 3oz
2- 10.73
3- 9.06
4-
5-
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

There is another factor to consider.

Basically, DWR and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers looks at the Delta as a conveyance to transport water. It is in a sense a crooked wiggly pipeline made of earth. There has been a study underway for some time looking at sesmic events and how to earthquake proof the system. The answer is, it can't really be retrofitted to survive big quakes. (DUH!) Couple that with what happens during wild winters, and the end result is the Delta is going to get an "F" for reliability as a conveyance. Enter the canal type plan again, because the state needs a reliable source of water.

The bad side of circumnavigating the Delta is suddenly all these Delta islands become less important because you have a source of water that goes around it. You won't need those islands intact to prevent saltwater intrusion like when Brannan flooded in 1972. Oakley had extremely high salt content in tap water for example. You can just go around the whole Delta with a canal and not worry about saltwater. Drought years, thats why the state bought so much land near the saltwater intrusion. Think about it.

Unfortunately, much of the feeling south is,

"Its our water as well, and we need it. Its just a matter of when."

Water is the latest Ca. gold rush.

Reminds me of the movie Dune.

A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

Gene,
Surely the folks who look after the SF Bay must be greatly in favor of defeating this latest attempt at water thieft. Do you hear any thing from those groups?
The bay needs to get flushed by the Sac and San Joaquin Rivers too. They haven't been getting enough fresh water for a good while now, and getting even less seems like it would have a devastating effect on the Bay.
Any support for defeating this coming from those folks?
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
RichThiel

Post by RichThiel »

Here is some more reading for you understand why the canal has to stop

http://www.stopcanal.org/deltawater

Rich

www.calbassguide.com ,

Best 5 over 7lbs for 09
1- 8lb 3oz
2- 10.73
3- 9.06
4-
5-
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

here's what i dont get. they put a stop to pumping irrigation water because of the enviro issues with the fish, yet they can build a canal, suck tons/ millions of gallons of water out of the system , cause salt water to move farther into the system and ship water down south with out endangering the same fish. where are all the court orders stopping this..its far more destructive.
Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

so how does anyone get their hands dirty to stop this at this point?

There was a post of a boat march... Sounds like a good idea. what else?

We need some ideas?
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

also what about building desalinization plants. if the ocean is rising due to global warming ( yea right) why dont all the coastal cities build them for their drinking water. this would stop the flooding due to the rising waters and it would free up more water and a canal would not be necessary.
Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"
Marty

Post by Marty »

Not knowing enough to give my opinion on the subject so I try to reason the best solution. If I did not live here on the Delta I would automatic go with pumping the water to central and southern California for growth of the State. But since I live here I don’t want the Delta to be damaged in anyway (little self-centered). It’s my habit to oppose anything that has a hint of environmentalists (as in Greenpeace) because I know everything they have done has just made it harder to live in this State as in building “Damnsâ€
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

The word is out. Certain legislators in Sacramento are determined by any means to destroy the Delta by moving legislation ahead to construct a water conveyance system comparable to the Panama Canal circumventing the fresh water flows into the Delta which will surely nail the coffin closed for the greatest estuary in the western hemisphere. The corruption MUST stop. They have refused Delta stakeholders a voice in the process. It’s time to wake up the Governor and the Nation and expose this great tragedy! It’s time for the people to speak and have their voices heard.

Therefore plans are underway to bring the people together to speak with one voice and demonstrate to our lawmakers that we will not sit idly by and let this destruction take place.
Sponsored by the Sportsmen Yacht Club in Antioch, our first committee meeting to get this effort underway will convene Wednesday July 15th at the Sportsmen Yacht club at 6:30P.M.
Any and all concerned citizens are welcomed.

Please see attached flyer.
J.Rios

Post by J.Rios »

July 15 Gene???
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

That is the plan know. Bruce Connely a Oakley City council man is organizing it. The Sportsman Club is located off of Wilbur Ave. next to the old PG&E plant.
sTony

Post by sTony »

Great plan. Today is July 20.

sTony
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

sTony wrote:Great plan. Today is July 20.

sTony
Picky, picky, picky! :lol:

Seriously, I hope you guys can derail this rape of the Delta.
CLEAN AND DRY
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

Sorry guys i just copied what Bruce had sent me it is supposed to the 15th of August
Beach Steve Biechman

Do you really want to Stop the Peripheral Canal ?

Post by Beach Steve Biechman »

It appears to my the Dark Side has got you fighting wind mills Again. What REALLY needs to be done is take care of the Delta FIRST. That means the amount of water that is needed to flow threw the delta into the bay to keep the delta healthy needs to be determined and that amount needs to be guarenteed. Next, two or three holding dams ( like San Luis ) need to be built near Sites and Willows. The funding for this project should come soley from the water users. ( Why should I pay to give them free water they don't give me free veggies?)
A maximum drawdown should be established for all of our current resevours so they are not drained. A canal system should be established from the resevours to the water users. The water user should PAY for all this!!! It would be more benaficial for the delta to have the excess water not reach the delta than have It's rivers flow backwards as they suck it's life blood out of it.

The most important part is the Delta needs enough water to flurish. It needs to get it's water FIRST.

Beach
Beach Steve Biechman
rickd

Post by rickd »

ESPN posted a recent news article here. http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/gene ... id=4330412

Here is another article from a Delta farmer perspective
http://www.publicceo.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=58
CN

Post by CN »

I dont know all the detail's but you would think more enviromentalist group's would be involved. If you ever needed one no matter what you think about them it's now.

It's also unfortunate it appear's some people with some pull or at least determanation in Sacramento want their way.

Do you really want to know what goes on behind closed door's in politic's. :twisted: ............ :(
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

No matter what we want or how many of us don’t want this thing done, the powers to be already have there pockets lined and they will find a way to do this.

I guess when they get that thing built; they will have to section off all areas of the delta that the canal is near so none of us blow it up. I bet homeland already has a plan to secure the areas. I wonder if they are going to seize property for this thing? I have allot of ?'s and no answers. This thing just makes me want to go find one of these political pukes and club them like a baby seal.

The Government pretends to have the environment and people’s interest in mind. But they are only concerned with the money in there pockets and could give a crap about the eco system out here.

Time to form a Bass Fishing Militia IMO. Im not throwing a master lock on my ice cream to protect myself from the government yet, but somebody needs their a## kicked.
LL