Motorguide Issues

NitroSport

Motorguide Issues

Post by NitroSport »

Just bought an 08 189 Sport with a 70lb 24V Motorguide 5 speed so I can finally get back to bass fishing & have room for the family.

First time I take it out, 1, 2 & 3 work but they're the same speed (3), 4th is dead & 5th works fine.

Second time I take it out last week, it's completely dead. Just had the boat checked out by GFM & they say the wiring is ok, so it must be the motor. Anyone else have these problems with a newer MG? Any chance I could get them to cover it with the warranty? Sunny's electric marine says no way since they're non-transferrable. Sucks to spend that kind of money for a boat with 40 hours on it that I can't use & have to spend money to repair already. :evil:

Appreciate any advice or help! Get a Minn kota doesn't count :wink:

Chriss
DaHawg

Re: Motorguide Issues

Post by DaHawg »

I had a similar issue with a MG on a boat I picked up from Texas, had 3hrs. but I was still technically the second owner.

I dont recall the exact particulars, but I took it down to Gene at the Hook in Oakley and he either A: found a way to work things so it didnt cost me a dime or B:fixed it and charged me very little.

It was a while back and I do not recall exactly how it went down, but I would have remebered if it cost me anything substantial. Mine went competely dead as well and was taking water into the housing.
drrakruz

Post by drrakruz »

Contact the seller and see what he has to say about it. You could also suggest the seller take it in and have HIM (assuming it was a him) get it repaired under HIS name. If you didn't get anything at the time of the sale in writing stating sold "AS IS", you have legal options as well. Don't take "NO" for an answer.
Sponsors:
M & M Marine, Lincoln, CA
[img]http://www.evolutionmarine.net/images/mercury.logo.gif[/img]
PLAY HARD AND FLOOR IT!!
JLS (Jay Liu's Service)

Post by JLS (Jay Liu's Service) »

Nitrosport

MotorGuild warranty is transferable. I do not know where you live, but take it to a MotorGuild Service center and they can transfer it for you (if it is still under the warranty period). If you are close to Redding, I can help you. My phone # 530 246-8051.

JLS (Jay Liu’s Service) trolling motor repair
Phil

Post by Phil »

I BELIEVE EVERY 70 LB THRUST THEY MAKE IS WARRANTY, I HAVE HAD 2, MY FIRST WAS REPLACED BECAUSE IT WAS A DAY OLD, THE REPLACEMENT DID EXACTLY THE SAME THING 6 MONTHS LATER. SENT IT TO THE HOOK AND BECAUSE (HE WAS CLOSER JAY) GENE FIXED IT . IT IS INTERNAL CIRCUIT BOARD IT FRIES ON ALL OF THEM RIGHT OUT OF THE PACKAGE. GREAT SERVICE AT BOTH PLACES !! NOT TO SAY MOTORGUIDE IS JUNK, JUST THAT MODEL. MY SON HAS HAD 72 LB ON HIS BOAT SINCE 1995 ANS STILL WORKS TODAY NEVER A ISSUE WITH IT..THEY ARE A GOOD PRODUCT........JUST DO NOT BUY THE PRO70 ...
NitroSport

Post by NitroSport »

Thanks for all of the input guys. Really appreciate it.

I'm in the Sacramento area Jay, or I'd definitely head your way. Totally different story than we heard from Sunny's, so I'll get on him about it.

Really glad to hear Gene deals with them because that place is second to none in my experience when I used to fish tourneys there with the GFM guys. If Sunny's doesn't take care of me, I'll take a run down there.

I hear you Phil. Extremely frustrating!! Gotta love running out to your primo spot in your new boat only to drop the motor & find it dead. Felt pretty lame trying to drift fish the rest of the day without crashing onto the rocks. Couldn't stop fishing though right?
calfisher71

Post by calfisher71 »

If you can get it to Jays Its worth it I used to use him in Newark Ca I miss his work..
Fishing creates memories for a life time.
www.rbbassfishing.net
#RBASS
Phil

Post by Phil »

Try it in a Pro-Am sometime, second day at Oroville, went daed in the water one a brand new one on a new Beeline boat. I ran the big motor all day and let the am fish.....Frustrating yes it was. Windy, yes it was !
MT

Post by MT »

It's worth the drive up to take it to Jay. You'll most likely have it back that day rather that wait around for days for some other guy to find the time to get to your motor. Give him a call. Mike
NitroSport

Post by NitroSport »

Note to self... Post the question first.

Since I'm probably gonna get charged for these guys to fix it, I'm thinking I'll just get it back & probably take a trip to Redding. Glad to hear so many people endorsing someone's work. Always happy to give my business to people who deserve it!