Looking at California for a move

jackplate

Looking at California for a move

Post by jackplate »

Hey guys, I was wondering if you all could help me out a bit. I'm a pretty hardcore tournament guy out here in North Carolina. Due to my current situation I'm looking for a life-changing move back out west (grew up in Colorado). I've narrowed it down to two bass-rich environments with other amenities, of course, somewhere in north-central California somewhat close to Clear Lake and the Delta, and also Austin, Texas perhaps. Austin is slightly less appealing to me because it's still in the South, however.
The things I've read online about California are quite alarming, though... no jobs, increase in crime and gang activity, a bankrupt state, meth labs, the peripheral canal, the Emerald Triangle around the Clear Lake area (the pot industry), high housing and living costs, traffic, etc. etc.
My question is... am I ignorant in thinking that north-central California would be a nice place to live and raise a family and if not, could you guys recommend some nice towns to live in around the Delta or Clear Lake and possibly the foothills?
Thanks in advance... and let me tell you one thing I do know that will alleviate any envious feelings you may have about the fishing in the southeastern U.S... it's completely overrated for the most part; you guys seem to have much better fishing. :)
"Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble."

John Madden
biteme

Re: Looking at California for a move

Post by biteme »

Tough call, most of us would like to get out of Cali. Its hard to do because of ties.
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Yep your ignunt for thinking about CA.
Everything you described is spot on so I wouldn't even consider it.
Jeff Antenucci

Post by Jeff Antenucci »

Check your PM's
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

[quote="The things I've read online about California are quite alarming, though... no jobs, increase in crime and gang activity, a bankrupt state, meth labs, the peripheral canal, the Emerald Triangle around the Clear Lake area (the pot industry), high housing and living costs, traffic, etc. etc. :)[/quote]

Yup , thats right ! And some of us still love it ! You shouldn't come hear though -we're also overcrowded ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
~ Tony
biteme

Post by biteme »

Look at our local tax. Up to 8.75% LA is 10.25%. Our Registration was just raised. My 20k truck was 400.00 this year. Then add smog, 100.00. Oh yeah lets tax that boat you own, luxury tax. Now look at gas prices. We pay about .75 a gallon then other states. In six years my garbage bill has gone from 75.00 every two months to 149.00. The list goes on and on. Good luck!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMTdofh2G34
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

John,
Yes we have cruel tax and fee structures and the economy is pretty tough right now that being said if you can afford to buy real estate out here you will probably get the best return in the country over the next 5-7 years. I have lived in Lake County (clear lake) and the economy there is even tougher than the delta area. The nice part about the delta is there are still some rural and suburban areas but major cities pretty close (meaning more jobs than lake county). One thing you can expect if you get a job is higher pay than the south. Austin has some attractive attributes as well but I assure you the weather and fishing out here are way beyond Austin.
Smitty
Levy

Post by Levy »

IMHO There is no better place to live then in Northern Ca.

The weather is perfect and everything from snow skiing to the ocean are all within a couple of hours drive.

I could do without the liberal politics but it has been this way here forever.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Chaozu

Post by Chaozu »

I love Cali!
Ryan Margone
leachman90

Post by leachman90 »

2 words, Fienstien,Boxer. NUFF SAID!!!!!
www.insideline.net/index.php/forum
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

Please send that list to the politicians so that they can get their priorities straight! Then, maybe we can get more people, with money in hand, move to this great state!

As it is now, all vision is lost so Texas would be my choice.

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Jackplate - I don't know what your employment or housing needs are .... But there are some STEALS on the market right now in Stockton, Lodi, Elk Grove, and Vaccaville/Fairfield/Susuin City.

If you are current home owner for 5 years or more - and you sell/relocate/rebuy .. You will qualify for a $5,000 tax credit even from now till next Febuary or March if you have a single income of under $75k gross a year.

If you will become a first time home buyer - You will recieve a $8,000 tax credit if you are under the earnings caps.

Best wishes - and remember Location Location Location .... And when you think you found it- go and meet your potential neighbors and come back at night to see/watch the neighborhood as well.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
J.Rios

Post by J.Rios »

California sucks plain and simple.If it was all about fishin' it wouldn't be half bad ,but think long and hard before you take that leap.

I was born and raised here in the delta area,and if it weren't for twenty years invested in my current job with its retirement program I'd be outta here in a flash. I think I'd like to pursue my second passion (elk hunting) a lot more in depth and forget this rat hole for a while.

Just remember that the wage numbers look good,but the cost of living eats it up really quick here.Course if you are willing to face a healthy commute you can probably make due.Up to two hrs. each way is not uncommon.You can make it home just in time to put the kids to bed if traffic is good!!

Be sure you check all the numbers before you take a bite.Vehicle reg,boat reg,luxury tax,homeowners taxes,fuel prices,political climate of the area you prefer(though most areas will still leave you scratchin' your head),and if thats not enough go ahead and move to the delta so you can witness first hand the death of what could have been hands down the greatest largemouth bass,striper,and salmon fishery ever!!! Period.

Good Luck
BFerris

Post by BFerris »

What kind of work are you into? Work is really tough around here. I have many friends who are very educated and aren't employed right now. In this economy, I wouldn't let the fishing in an area determine my move. If I wasn't stuck in California because of my job then I'd be back in Kentucky or Tennessee in a flash. All the BS that goes on here is just that...BS and a lot of it. If you move here, don't waste your time watching the 5 o'clock news. You will have a stroke before you turn 40. Nor cal has some kick *** bass fishing, there is no doubt about it although this year has gone down hill a bit and Im sure most will agree. Our state needs to take a refresher course in water management...
https://www.facebook.com/TKOTungsten/
www.TKOTungsten.com
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

Well it isn't Somalia yet. It's tough for everyone. No jobs, corrupt gov, ect...

It is the best fishing anywere though till they build that canal.

If you can find work, houses are cheap. Mine might be really cheap soon.

I'm in orangevale. Folsom is 10 min away. North delta is 45 min. Clear lake is a couple hours. Oroville is 1.5. Shasta is 3 hours. I'm kinda central to allot of good fishing. If hillbillies and rednecks offend you this isn't the place. There's a el camino next door converted 4x4 with tractor tires on it. Barn raising town. Lol

meth labs are all over the country, we are just on the news more because we have a higher population of people who read warning labels for inspiration and blow there a##es up.
LL
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Don't let 'em scare you away... things are tough all over, but life is good here in the Delta IMHO.

East Bay has some great deals on housing - check out Redfin for some areas. I'd suggest trying to find something around Oakley, or perhaps Brentwood, as there is much too much Section 8 housing in Antioch or further west... great deals can be found for sure!

And as far as jobs go - depends on your industry. There are certainly jobs to be found, so check the online job sources and make up your own mind.

The Delta is incredible, and Berryessa, the Motherlode lakes, and Clear lake are all in play... way better than Texas IMHO (again).

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
big bass beckstrom

Post by big bass beckstrom »

Chaozu wrote:I love Cali!
same here
Elliott
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.fishdelta.com
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

We are the most populated state in the union. Our property is among the most expensive, our taxes are high...but so is our income....California is generally the last to go into a recession and the last to come out.

In general our weather is better than Texas...

Things like pot and Meth are everywhere, and won't generally impact your life.

Gangs ...yep lots of them. Don't live in a bad neighborhood.

If I were a professional fishermen I would want to live close to the Delta....not clear lake.

If I were picking for good fishing...I'd pick Shasta.

If I were picking for quality of life (rural).... I pick Grass Valley, Auburn etc.... plenty of rivers and lakes...fewer problems.
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
Phil

Post by Phil »

I LOVE CA. IF I COULD, I WOULD MOVE TO WILLIAMS OR COLUSA, IN THE MIDDLE OF IT ALL. DELTA, SHASTA, CLEARLAKE, OROVILLE, AND THE SACRAMENTO RIVER !

JUST MY .02
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

I'll sell you a house in willows, ca.
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
Scott E.

Post by Scott E. »

Austin in a heartbeat! I took a trip last month to visit my son and new grandson and fished two days at Fayette County Lake (here's a link to my report) http://www.westernbass.com/forum/viewto ... highlight= and there were only 4 or 5 other boats on the lake all day.

Austin has about a dozen lakes within an hour drive, and for little road trips you got Choke Canyon about 2 1/2 hrs away and Amistad about 4 hrs. Never mind the friendliest people around I've met ANYWHERE in my lifetime, no theft problems, invisible illegals, CHEAP real estate, awesome bbq, 6th street music and cocktail scene, Longhorn football and baseball, beautiful country, and no CA government or taxes, and gas is a buck a gallon cheaper. As for the weather? It gets hot and humid in the summer but it gets hot in nor cal too (just minus the humid). I'd move there right now but the wife doesn't want to move away from the bulk of our kids/grandkids. (Maybe when I retire we'll go). Oh yah, there's Whitetails EVERYWHERE! Texas gets my vote... Scott
Phil

Post by Phil »

acm95301 wrote:I'll sell you a house in willows, ca.
If I could sell my house at Don Pedro, I'd take you up on it !!
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

Sacramento is the most central location to the best bass lakes in NorCal.

If your are going to fish the delta heavily, Elk Grove (south Sac county) would be an ideal place.

If you are going to fish Folsom, Clear Lake, Oroville, Shasta the most, Woodland might be a good choice.

The main difference in these choices is avoiding cross town traffic.
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
2ndsuks

Post by 2ndsuks »

Some good words of advice would be to log into http://www.texasfishingforum.com/ and ask the same question.

You won't get the same negative reaction from Texan’s, it’s sad, California has so many good things to offer yet the politics that have ran this state into the dirt for decades has Californians leaving in droves and many to Texas. :oops:
I’d take the Lone Star state in a heartbeat.
mcsanders

Post by mcsanders »

Jackplate,

I moved from Texas to Sacramento area 3.5 years ago.

PM me if you want my input.

Mark
Andy Lippert

Post by Andy Lippert »

Yes, California is currently in a sad state, and represented politically by the biggest bunch of morons in congress, but I try and take a look at the positives as opposed to the negatives....

With California you get what you pay for! If you want to have world class bass fishing within an hour and a half of the mountains and the beach, this is the place for you. I've lived all over the country, and no place has better weather. PERIOD. No humidity, mild winters, and summers just hot enough to enjoy a day on the lake in mid-summer. In CA you also have Yosemite and Lake Tahoe. Two of the most beautiful places on Earth. With the gorgeous weather almost year round, you have more of an opportunity, than anywhere else in the country, to enjoy the outdoors. Oh yeah, and bugs are almost non-existant. Unlike in the South where bug spray is a must, I can't remember the last time I put that stuff on, fishing in California.

I was born and raised in the Bay Area (Livermore), and plan on moving back as soon as I get out of the Marine Corps. There's a possibility that I'll move to the Sacramento area, but I plan on raising my future children in Nor Cal....and wouldn't have it any other way.

People complain way to damn much, and will complain about where they live, no matter where you are. If you would've asked this question two years ago before the recession hit, I don't think you would've had one negative response about moving to California.

Andy
Mr Gambler

Post by Mr Gambler »

Nobody mentioned the extra cost of being an outdoors man in this state :evil: Cost of licenses, lead free ammo, which will be state wide in a couple of years, the cost to launch a boat , and the list goes on & on & on :( :(
Mike Matthews, U.S.N. 1963-67
Fish hard, sleep good at night.
basshunter4u

Post by basshunter4u »

Your already in the area I would like to be in. I would stay put. This state flat out stinks with the exception of the weather. In my county we pay 9.75% just for sales tax. This week the state is taking an aditional 10% out of my check. They say its temporary but we all know once they get used to it it will never change. We pay the highest cost for fuel in the country, How about 50.00 for a fishing liscense and then paying for daily use permits, with some lakes charging 30.00 just to launch. I could go on and on about the pain in the a$$ taxes they put on us but I would run out of space on the sheet. My advice to you is to put slippers on those cold feet and stay put or consider moving south towards Huntsville AL. There is great bass fishing there

Don O
never give up, be possitive and patient, and you will be rewarded
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

If NorCal is your choice; check out Chico, college town, very good place to raise a family and close to excellent fishing.
Most tournament bass fisherman leave CA and move to east Texas to be close to BASS tournament trails. Both CA and Texas are big states, so choose your location carefully. CA bass fishing is a good as anywhere, the climate is better, the taxes are higher, the politics off the chart, the crime rate; where I live is one of the lowest in the country.
At the end of the day, it's your choice, good luck.
Tom
YouHateIt

Post by YouHateIt »

If you are a big fat liberal...come on down....if you like paying for other people to sit on their a$$...come on down...if you love illegal immigration...come on down...if you love NOT having a job...come on down.

If I didn't have parents in their 70's here....I would be out of Cali quicker then quick...the fishing is good though!
Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

It all really comes down to what type of work you do and if you can secure work. The market right now is great for buyers. You will get the best value for your dollar.

If you can live in the Delta area you can find a great property right now.
Monsterfishingtackle.com
not4un

Post by not4un »

Move to Texas their economy is doing great $8 billion dollar surplus state budget and lots of jobs...gas is $.50 a gallon cheaper..If I could sell my house I would already be in Texas and out of this crappy state
Riplip

Post by Riplip »

Wow, seems like the negativity factor always wins...

Nothing is keeping you here but your own excuses.

Jackplate, my advice is to spend some time in the areas you think may be right for you, economically, politically, environmentally and not least of all fishing wise. Northern California abounds in diversity of almost every description.

Best of luck, Wes
If you always do what you did, you will always get what you got!

www.californiaresrvoirlures.com
JRS

Post by JRS »

Jackplate, you mentioned you're big into the tournament scene,if thats the case you might want to look at the tourney turnouts in the area you're thinking of moving to. I can only speak about the Motherlode,Delta and Clear Lake tournaments, "they have low turnouts". If you are coming from an area where you're use to alot of tourneys with good turnouts I don't think cali is the place you want to be. Having moved from cali to Texas about 5 months ago, it was a shock to have so many tourney choices here. I'm in the Fort Worth area and you can find some kind of tourney to fish almost 7 days a week! As for the fish....I'm catching way better quality fish from the lakes here in Texas than I ever did in cali!!!!!But that just might be because it fits my fishn' style better in Texas.Good luck on what ever you decide.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Hay Juan you no worry about working - Learn Spanish Amigo – Amiga de las Américas

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/30 ... good-times
Levy

Post by Levy »

Riplip wrote:Wow, seems like the negativity factor always wins...

Nothing is keeping you here but your own excuses.

Jackplate, my advice is to spend some time in the areas you think may be right for you, economically, politically, environmentally and not least of all fishing wise. Northern California abounds in diversity of almost every description.

Best of luck, Wes
Well said Wes.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ive pretty much lived everywhere, so heres my input. If you are an outdoor enthusiast there is no better place. You can fish for almost everything that swims, fresh and salt. All are topnotch. Hunting opportunities are spectacular. If you like to hike and explore outdoor beauty, your life will not last long enough to explore every place you want to in CA. As far as bass fishing goes, CA by far is the best place to be, not only in terms of the number of high quality fisheries available, but also in terms of the number of fisheries that kick out trophy bass. Its unbelievable. I think those that grew up in CA take that for granted. CA has the spot WR, we should have the largemouth WR, and it wont be long before we have the smallmouth WR.

The negatives have already been spoken for, but I will add that its very exspensive to live here. And the fees to be able to fish "your public resource" border on criminal. It aint right. However, you only live once. My life is about the outdoors, without it Im miserable. So, I deal with the stuff I dont like, continue to try to make things work for me, and cherish each day on the lake and in the duck blind.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

jackplate wrote: The things I've read online about California are quite alarming, though... no jobs, increase in crime and gang activity, a bankrupt state, meth labs, the peripheral canal, the Emerald Triangle around the Clear Lake area (the pot industry), high housing and living costs, traffic, etc. etc.
These are the benefits. Wait until you hear about the deterrents.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

i have lived in california all my life i cant wait to leave this decrepid state.its not what it used to be.myself im moving to havasu.
punk bass
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Upstate NY, from May 15 to October 1 then south for the winter.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
midwesttransplant

Post by midwesttransplant »

Greg_Cornish wrote:Minnesota, Wisconsin, Upstate NY, from May 15 to October 1 then south for the winter.
Grew up in MN, went to college in WI, and moving to Ithaca area in the next two years!
If I call in sick, I am probably on the Delta.
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Funny - before I chose to move to Oakley, I considered everything East including Texas, 'Bama, North Carolina, Florida, etc... decided I really wanted to settle up here at the Delta and did so. Damn glad I did too.

To each their own...

Roger
Steve

Post by Steve »

tunaman wrote:Funny - before I chose to move to Oakley, I considered everything East including Texas, 'Bama, North Carolina, Florida, etc... decided I really wanted to settle up here at the Delta and did so. Damn glad I did too.

To each their own...

Roger
You should be glad Roger, Ive lived in all those places except Texas. You made the right choice.
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Good Honest question= a good honest answer. IMHO I would not purchase a house here In cali but give it a try (rent) for a period of time. Kids make it tough to do this but in the long run they will be better off.

I am not a U.S. or world traveler but I can tell you one thing spot on is that the weather here is incredible.

There are gangs, kooks and freaks wherever you go so you wont get away from them.

Politicians are more crooked than lombard street so you wont get away from them either.

there is work if you are willing to look for it.

There are some of the finest schools anywhere all over the bay area.
as stated previously the taxes, liberalism,politics etc are crazy.

did I say the weather is good? :)

with everyone leaving maybe the place will revert back to the "good old days"

Regards, Rich
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

midwesttransplant wrote:
Greg_Cornish wrote:Minnesota, Wisconsin, Upstate NY, from May 15 to October 1 then south for the winter.
Grew up in MN, went to college in WI, and moving to Ithaca area in the next two years!
Look out there's a Greg Cornish in Ithaca and he's a die hard PITA member who adopts Pit Bulls.

I'm looking at Italy, NY between Lake Canadaigua and Seneca Lake
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

move to Oakley
One thing I forgot to mention was make sure there's adequate medical facilities and skill sets available that you may require. Here in the central valley, adequate medical practitioners may be a challenge. You'll end up driving to the city for any advanced treatments.
Glenn Abuelhaj
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

great point! Most doctors really would prefer to live where it is nice hence better docs in the bay area. My family drives from Ripon to the bay area for advanced care docs. heck we are lucky to have health insurance. the valley docs are okay but certainly not the cream of the crop (kaiser)
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Kenneth Haring

Post by Kenneth Haring »

Think again; Weve got water regulations, boat inspections to get on a lake, hell some are even closed to boats thet are not kept there. Arnold wants to raise taxes on everything to pay for their f/xo-up and now wants to raise taxes on personal income higher. You boat regerstration is higher here and the cost to get on a lake is high, if you can get on. Good Luck!
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

California is great. Arizona sucks. It is hot as heck in the summer and heavy snow in the winter. There are no bass in the lakes because we encourage the quagga mussels and spread them wherever we can. Elk, turkey and deer hunting sucks. Our taxes are high and you can't register your trailer for life for $20. If you like guns and are a conservative then disregard this message and move on down. :wink:
keithcant

Post by keithcant »

Before you make a permanent move....consider a temporary relocation. Rent....look around --find what fits YOU.

Not always so easy w/ work but do'able. Very important considerations prior to what can become a full-life relocation.
"The Gods do not deduct from man's alloted span the hours spent in fishing"--
Proverb Ancient Babylonia.