Motor hasn't started in awhile...

Skunkedagain

Motor hasn't started in awhile...

Post by Skunkedagain »

Anybody have any tips to starting a motor that hasn't been started in awhile..over a year. Should I fog it after starting?
-Adam Paseman
492slayer

Re: Motor hasn't started in awhile...

Post by 492slayer »

First thing I would do is drain the tank(s) BEFORE starting the motor... change all the filters and run some fresh fuel through the entire system. You might even want to pull the fuel lines and be sure they are not breaking down. Then after you do all that, I'd change the water pump out. SItting out of the water is what causes them to deteriorate. After that is done, I'd fully charge the battery (Or new if needed). and take it down to the water and run it on the trailer for a while. After letting it run a bit at different rpms, finding nothing wrong, I'd venture out and give it a go. Be sure to let it warm up a long time when it's cold, you don't want to end up with a cold seize and blown powerhead.
'97 492VS
335HP EFI by Simon Motorsports
Skunkedagain

Post by Skunkedagain »

Thanks for the reply. So how hard is replacing a water pump? I'm assuming I need to find the one that goes with my engine?
-Adam Paseman
Mike Thomas

Post by Mike Thomas »

+1 to what 492 said. I just recently resurected mine after sitting for the better part of a year. I took it to Calvin and had him do a full 100 hour service and check everything out to make sure all was kosher before dropping it in the drink.... I probably didnt need to go to that extent but I figured better safe than sorry.
as far as replacing a water pump......I have no idea how hard it would be...never tried doing it myself ( I'm not that brave :) )
Skunkedagain

Post by Skunkedagain »

Well, I can't dump to much $ into this thing, so I figure I'll attempt to do it myself and see what happens. Any advice would be great :) Xmas has wiped my bank out, and I've had this boat for too long and not been able to put it in the drink.
-Adam Paseman
offduty

Post by offduty »

Buy the book for your motor and it will tell you how to do it. It is easy but a professional manual is always a good idea.
Rich
492slayer

Post by 492slayer »

I take care of mine on my 3.0L Merc EFI.... What motor do you have?
'97 492VS
335HP EFI by Simon Motorsports
Skunkedagain

Post by Skunkedagain »

I believe it's a 175 Mariner circa 1988 or so.
-Adam Paseman