Moisture in plastic boxes

griz01

Moisture in plastic boxes

Post by griz01 »

I leave some of my worm type boxes in the boat. I don't have the storage in my house. I'm tired of the condensation that builds up on the inside of the boxes. Could use some suggestions on how to combat this. Getting really frustrated over it. :x My boat is covered with a boat cover and a drive under cover. I have tried those dessicant packs, that come with stuff that get shipped. They don't work that well and don't last very long. Please help.
MT

Re: Moisture in plastic boxes

Post by MT »

The boat cover is your problem escpecially in the winter. Need to let it air out. Wont matter what you put in the boxes if everything is under a cover. At least find a way to vent it and then the little packets or some toothpicks will be plenty to prevent rust.
rico

Post by rico »

get the waterproof boxes. They have a big "o" ring type gasket around the edge
redneck27

Post by redneck27 »

griz01 wrote:I leave some of my worm type boxes in the boat. I don't have the storage in my house. I'm tired of the condensation that builds up on the inside of the boxes. Could use some suggestions on how to combat this. Getting really frustrated over it. :x My boat is covered with a boat cover and a drive under cover. I have tried those dessicant packs, that come with stuff that get shipped. They don't work that well and don't last very long. Please help.
I feel your pain brother. I agree with the guy's commite after yours. Let it air dry. I don't have the ability to store my boat indoors. I have a boat cover and I keep a lot of baits in there. But the more important ones I put in the garauge or the spare room. As long as you take care of stuff it will be ok. Thats the one thing you have to deal with when you cant store indoors.
Jigsisme

Post by Jigsisme »

Here's some easy cures for moisture in your boxes:
(1) Take small bag and put baking soda in it, put some holes in it with a pin.

(2) Place a small stick of chalk in the box.

(3) Use small moisture packs (from inside) packing boxes, ceiling fans, pockets of clothing, etc.

All three have worked for me in the past.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

I'd get a bigger house. (thinking outside the box)
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
smpboy

Post by smpboy »

has anyone ever tried any of those dehumidifiers those seem like they would be perfect but i duno how well they work?
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

I've seen a couple problems. the first is storing a boat outside you get condensation from the environment, the other is condensation on soft plastics from the salt content presumably.

I like to use a regular fan to aerate the compartments and store my boat in the garage.....if you can buy smaller fans you could install them on your 12v system...probably have them at radioshack or online.
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
Scott Shambre

Post by Scott Shambre »

Collect those little silicone moisture absorbing packs that you find in a variety of products to combat this very thing.

Whenever my daughter buys clothes, there is usually one or two attached to the item. I collect that and put it in my plactic boxes.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
Is there a Lost Land of retards????
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Scott Shambre wrote:Collect those little silicone moisture absorbing packs that you find in a variety of products to combat this very thing.

Whenever my daughter buys clothes, there is usually one or two attached to the item. I collect that and put it in my plactic boxes.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
+1
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

I think he said he tried those in his post, unless he was talking about another moisture absorber.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
some guy

Post by some guy »

:lol:
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
griz01

Post by griz01 »

Yeah, I've used those little packets. Didn't work so well. Thanks for all the input. Don't think I can sell the wife on buying a new house though.....no I'm not going to sell my wife, haha. I've never tried chalk though, we'll see.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

So it sounds to me that you batteling condensation from inside of the box, not a little bit of moisture left in the box. I hate to say it but during this time of year you may want to crack the lids on your boxs so that the condensation cycle doesnt take place. or remove teh boxes from your boat.
Rod Wynn

Post by Rod Wynn »

I am not sure if this works but I have seen guys put grains of rice in the boxes right in with the hooks to prevent this..
Once again this is for your hook boxes..
AMATEURS work until they get it RIGHT..
PROFESSIONALS WORK until they CAN'T get it Wrong..
Basslab

Post by Basslab »

I was in Lowes today and in the lubricants area of tool dept, there is a product that I believe will end your problems. I read the entire package and they even show a picture of a tackle box and it gets rid of moisture. The product is about the size of a small 9v battery and believe it is called Z-Rust and sells for about $3 so ya gotta ask what your hooks are worth to keep them from rusting. I will be buying a couple next time I see them.
colby

Post by colby »

i recently bought some water tight tupper ware for plastics i bought 6 thins for 200+ plastic bags of soft baits it was well worth it and they could submerge for hours in my spool under a rock and never even more than a drop im impressed
"If bass fishing was as easy as we all want it to be, then it wouldn't be a sport, it would be a habit." --Jimmy Houston